NWI 2010 Meet & Shoot End of Year Review.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No Ro house the guy sits in a pickup truck....there is a porta potty though. No covering...just benches.

1 ports potty? Does it look like the one at Winamac (big house which has the potty hidden) or just the plastic shell on the outside?

Left of the 25 or near the SG range? Or someplace else?

What does the backstop have? Someone said chicken wire??? Or were they joking?

In terms of this...
    "So...what are we saying here? No shotguns shooting slugs or buckshot at the 25yd range either?"

This thread is for IDEAS right now. I don't think anyone has commented on the noise level of the SGs. Nor having issues with them on the 25 either. I had issue with them blasting the PVC targets since I wanted the stands to last. That was my pet peeve about it.

I have updated the OP to show the major ideas that have been tossed in these post.

Suspect that for MAR 2011 we will meet at Winamac at the 50 yard range to start off with. We might do JP in 2011 but not sure until we poll everyone. I personally from what I have seen from the aerial view do not like it.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    It looks like JP is giving us the finger.

range-dnr-jp.png

Just saying.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Yep....chicken wire, bring clothes pins for your targets. 1 plastic porta potty, just to the right as you enter the parking lot...you can see it on the map. No grassy picnic area there, after all it is a shooting range.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Figures 2cool9031 not a range that is "female girly city ready" i guess. =) Yes it may sound sexist and/or wrong but the new shooter girls I have brought all were city girly girls which made the winamac area ideal to show them that guns are not something to be afraid of.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I can tell you that one of the nicest safest ranges is Kingsbury...but it not a good place to hold a NWI shoot.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    you will have to sign in at the guard house which is something like 5 miles east of the range prior to using it.there is a porta potty there and no coverings. the r.o. is a good guy but wont tolerate any nonsense. the benches are worse from wear and their will be allot more people present. how will we know if we are feeding ingo guests and members as apposed to free loaders? the area and parking is allot bigger too, but their will always be allot of people there on sat or sun.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I can tell you that one of the nicest safest ranges is Kingsbury...but it not a good place to hold a NWI shoot.

no i have heard that it is really strick and i dont think that is what we need. the more i hear about this the more i hope it stays at winnimac really.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    At Kingsbury....the RO calls the cease fire, when he turns on the flashing red lights...it is guns in the rack, then everyone goes down and changes targets.
    It is the nicest range for shooting clays, they even supply nice throwers.
    I am not saying the shoot should be held there.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    no i have heard that it is really strick and i dont think that is what we need. the more i hear about this the more i hope it stays at winnimac really.

At Kingsbury....the RO calls the cease fire, when he turns on the flashing red lights...it is guns in the rack, then everyone goes down and changes targets.
    It is the nicest range for shooting clays, they even supply nice throwers.
    I am not saying the shoot should be held there.

Sparky based on 2cool9031's second reply I think his first was missing the PURPLE!

So it's really winamac on the 50 or a PRIVATE RANGE. :D

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Turnandshoot, not exactly sure if your one post was entirley directed at me bringing the 500. I'm thinking you wanted to use me as an example. But I don't like half sticks of dynamite, if all I wanted to do was make noise, I wouldn't have bothered shelling out a weeks pay on a bang stick. I like big bore handguns. And yes they hurt me, but I like it, which is why I save my few shots of the 500 until I'm done shooting for the day. I bring a couple boxes of ammo with because I know the 500 isn't exactly a popular caliber, and alot of people want to experience the thrill that comes with firing one. After fireing it some people love it, some people hate it and one guy screams like a girl that just had her pigtails dipped in the inkwell at school.

If I do rest assured I will continue to bring my 500 along with any other big bore handguns I happen to aquire in that time frame. If anybody doesn't like big bore handguns, no problem you don't have to shoot them. if you do want to shoot them or any of my guns you all are more then welcome to them. I think we are all a great group of people and I have no problems with anyone. Although the suggestion of having me bring a half stick did irritate me a little.

That is all, have a nice day!:ar15:

First I want to say Andy I did not mean to disrespect you in any way, I was trying to draw a comparison. Please bring whatever you like to any shoots. I wasn't trying to dictate what you should or shouldn't bring.
    The point I was trying to make was about shooting just to make noise. Most people's guns are like firecrackers and yours is like a half stick of dynamite. That is all. Not saying you only shoot to make noise or anything like that. Just that yours is bigger than everyone elses.:laugh::draw:

About JP. Yes the benches are in worse shape. It uses chicken wire instead of plywood to hook up targets. So you don't staple them, you clothes pin them. No, there is no cover. Yes there is a portapotty. Yes, there will be other people there if you are shooting on the weekend, ESPECIALLY near shotgun season. There is a rocky area around the benches instead of concrete.

All that being said I really don't like Winimac. It is small and cramped. I think plywood is ridiculous thing to put targets on, especially since people will only be blasting the hell out of it.

I guess what I want is more what most here would consider a "training" enviroment. Guns have sights on them so you can use them. When anyone graciously let me shoot one of their guns there was no rapid fire from me. There is no point to that. Because they also let me use their ammo. So THEY were paying for ME to shoot. When shooting sounds more like $1, $2, $3, instead of bang, bang, bang I try to take my time. You can get a feel for the handling, trigger pull, sights, kick, accuracy all at once. Why space not it out and take our time? :spend:

Oh and Mike, they knew the whole time. There is a reason why they let you back under your first screen name.:D Why try to battle 3 of you when they only have to worry about one now?:ingo:

Last edited:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I like Winimac. I would trust certain individuals to provide safety briefings throughout the day. He'll probably (rightfully) kill me, but melensdad has more years of experience with firearms than the vast majority of people who show up. I'm not basing it on age, I'm basing my evaluation on my conversations with him regarding years of firearms ownership and competition. I also trust GhostofWinter. He has a fundamental understanding of firearms safety and the nature of accidents and what to look for in terms of prevention.

I don't agree with everyone's idea of safety. I don't think that it is necessary to remove the slide, store it in a lock box, and put it in the trunk every time we go down range. Keep in mind, anything decided here is only a matter of suggestion. We have no authority to enforce arbitrary rules anywhere. I won't shoot center-fire rifles on the 25 because it is a good idea and makes sense, but no real governing body has created a rule against it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I guess what I want is more what most here would consider a "training" enviroment. Guns have sights on them so you can use them.

Perhaps you might want to look at the apple seeds for the training. We petitioned appleseed to come up to NWI and they have and it looks like in 2011 they will come again.

Appleseed for NWI

2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

Also North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana has a slew of controlled competition style sessions (steel, cowboy, etc..). Plus Michigan City Rifle Club does as well.

These events might be more in line with what you are looking for in terms of training. I did the steel at NPCC and LOVED and would like to try it again sometime.

Which does remind me. @melensdad did that guets of yours show up the one that does shooting dresses up in 1920s cloth? Or was it some other type of dressing up? I don't recall?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    My point about the training enviroment ment people should be aiming and shooting at targets. Not merely pulling the trigger. That is what the rest of that paragraph was about.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I like Winimac. I would trust certain individuals to provide safety briefings throughout the day. He'll probably (rightfully) kill me, but melensdad has more years of experience with firearms than the vast majority of people who show up. I'm not basing it on age, I'm basing my evaluation on my conversations with him regarding years of firearms ownership and competition. I also trust GhostofWinter. He has a fundamental understanding of firearms safety and the nature of accidents and what to look for in terms of prevention.

We can't impose on melensdad since we already have him on cooking detail, besides he is way too old and slow and is always smoking his big cigars. :laugh:

Issue with GOW is that he does not always show up. Something called work gets in the way. :rolleyes::D

It's been a good set of discussion so far. I'm off to put the little ones to sleep cause my 2 days off work end today and it's back to work tomorrow. :(

I want to thank everyone that has posted their concerns, comments and even thoughts that PMed me. We did good things, bad things and stupid things this season. But overall we had fun and had no accidents.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Geez, Joe. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I nominate geronimojoe for RO. perhaps he and Detonics_451 can finally get this motley bunch into some sort of shape.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    My point about the training enviroment ment people should be aiming and shooting at targets. Not merely pulling the trigger. That is what the rest of that paragraph was about.

That makes perfect sense, to go with that I think targets should be changed out more often to try to keep track of where our bullets are flying. I don't think anyone would have a problem with calling the range cold to retrieve targets and replace them as needed, as that will help us better ourselves, even in an informal environment.

To add I don't see a problem with laying a handgun down on the table with slide locked back or cylinder open on the shooting table. Nor do I take issue with loading of a mag during the cease fire. That being said dont touch any weapons while people are down range. Other than that I think we are doing pretty good for a group of people our size.

Oh and no problem about your original post, just wasn't sure how to take it and didn't want to assume. So thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom