• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    That's because it's not obvious to those that benefit from it.

That at sir is complete and total ignorance.

and the most stereotypical typecasting of a race seen in a long time.

if I were to make a broad brush statement about any group, ethnic, racial, social, that this one is priveledged or that one is depressed I would be branded the worst of racist.

I am am not so blind as to not see reality as it is.

go to Appalachia and tell them about their priveledged life. Learn what "Swamp Chicken" is and tell me where the silver spoon of being Caucasian comes from.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    that story and viewpoint is political. And as such has nearly no basis in reality but to push an agenda.

the only thing that the NYT has proven is that they are a political publication and have left journalism behind long ago

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That at sir is complete and total ignorance.

and the most stereotypical typecasting of a race seen in a long time.

if I were to make a broad brush statement about any group, ethnic, racial, social, that this one is priveledged or that one is depressed I would be branded the worst of racist.

I am am not so blind as to not see reality as it is.

go to Appalachia and tell them about their priveledged life. Learn what "Swamp Chicken" is and tell me where the silver spoon of being Caucasian comes from.

You'll have to do a better job of illustrating the ignorance of the statement. Apparently, you're not paying attention. What exactly did I stereotype, and what group did I say was immune to placing preferences on those similar to them? I'll ask you a simple question, and this will determine if I'll take you seriously or not. Is there such a thing as wealth and privilege?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I'll ask you a simple question, and this will determine if I'll take you seriously or not. Is there such a thing as wealth and privilege?

Yes,
    and it has nothing to do with the color of my skin.
    And for anyone to say it is just wants to justify trying to claim it as being owed them or their victimhood in not having it.

if Kennedy had an illegitimate black child, would he be wealthy and priveledged?
    How could he not be as a Kennedy but how could he be being Black.
    Broad social statements based on race (like white privledge) make a fool of the speaker

whether you sir, take me seriously or not is irrelevant

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes,
    and it has nothing to do with the color of my skin.
    And for anyone to say it is just wants to justify trying to claim it as being owed them or their victimhood in not having it.
    if Kennedy had an illegitimate black child, would he be wealthy and priveledged?

whether you sir, take me seriously or not is irrelevant

So there's wealth and privilege can correlate, but race and privilege can't?

And funny you mentioned the "what if" concerning JFK. There is an example of what you are speaking. Strom Thurmond had an illegitimate black daughter. She was unable to reveal herself until after his death. She did not share in his privilege nor his considerable wealth (he was a millionaire). She went to black schools and worked at a black hospital. When Thurmond died, and she came forward to identify herself as his daughter, many called her a liar. Joe "You Lie" Wilson initially called her coming forward, "a smear," on his image in an attempt to diminish his legacy. And after the Thurmond family admitted her paternity, Wilson apologized, but still held the belief that she should have never come forward. Yeah, so there's that.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    We each live in our own heads. What you see and hear is yours alone. You and I can walk together into a restaurant and share a meal and take home totally different views of the meal and how we were treated by the staff.

Several years ago I was in the deep south with some friends from college. One night myself and two other small town northerner white boys went driving around and late at night we stopped in a convenience store. We walked into the store, looking for snacks and sodas and abruptly the three or four men in the store stopped their conversation at the counter and just stared at us. We kind of just stared back, not realizing what was going on and one of them addressed us. He said, "You boys aren't from around here are you?". We answered that he was right, we were from up north, just down for spring break. He then proceeded to explain to us that we were in the black part of town and we should be in the white part of town. He told us how to get there and made it clear we were in the wrong place. We thanked the black gentleman and his friends for their help and hopped back in our van and went to the white part of town to get our snacks. I was grateful he gave me the advice. I wasn't from Meridian and I didn't evidently know the local customs. I never once thought that he was being racist and didn't want us there because he objected to the color of my skin. I have always assumed that he was just trying to help us out.

I figure that is probably one of the biggest advantages of being born a white boy in a town full of white boys. No one had ever messed with me because of my race and I was not taught to expect it so I did not find it. This is, I expect, an example of "white privelege" and it is real. It is also all in my head as it is in the head of every person who expects to be messed with because of their race and that expectation being a filter that they see the world through they are more likely to find prejudice.

I am not suggesting that every prejudice is a figment in the head of the victim, but I guarantee you that some of it is because as I said at the beginning of this post, we all live in our heads.

As to "fixing" "white privilege" or similar racial prejudices, I do not expect to cure it or really improve the situation. Entertain a scenario to illustrate my line of thought.

Two salesmen come to your door, both selling the same wares for the same price, both with the same quality of presentation and pitch. Consider these pairs of comparison, each pair a different scenario. Who do you buy from, all other things equal? One is your sister's son, one is a stranger, who do you buy from? One is your neighbor, the other a stranger, who do you buy from? One wears the ring of your fraternal brotherhood, the other a stranger, one shares your faith, the other another faith, one from your alma mater, the other your rival, etc, etc, etc, until all things are equal excepting one has ancestors who came from the same place as your own and the other does not. I think it is human nature to benefit those you see as somehow in your "group" over those you see as being outside your group, all other things equal. I think it is so basic that I would not seek to change it.

I have never told a black fellow to get back to the "black side of town", but I remember clearly one night grabbing a white fellow and bluntly explaining to him that he needed to drag his buddy back to his car and get the hell back on his side of the river where they belonged. In my small town there was a river and we frequently clashed with guys from the wrong side of the river. Repeated incident became habit became prejudice.

Back to race, I don't think I ever noticed any black folks putting the screws to me because I was white, but I have been in plenty of situations, where it was quite clear (even sometimes openly acknowledged) that my terms, prices, pay would have been better had I been of a different tribe or regional origin. It was frustrating, but I can't blame the other parties for wanting to keep the money in their "community".

At the end of the day, If I charge you more than I charged the last guy, it is more likely to have something to do with me feeling some kinship with the previous guy or me holding some arbitrary malice against you based on you reminding me of someone I do not like. I would like to think I am above petty things like that, but I'll not make a guarantee of my own virtue. However it goes down, if you don't like the price, don't pay it.

I will say that if someone torches your truck in your driveway and vandalizes your house, I want justice for you, regardless of your race, creed, origin, etc and blind to my relationship with the criminal(s) who did you wrong. I might not be perfectly color blind, but I am not some monster and I believe in basic human rights.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    So there's wealth and privilege can correlate, but race and privilege can't?

And funny you mentioned the "what if" concerning JFK. There is an example of what you are speaking. Strom Thurmond had an illegitimate black daughter. She was unable to reveal herself until after his death. She did not share in his privilege nor his considerable wealth (he was a millionaire). She went to black schools and worked at a black hospital. When Thurmond died, and she came forward to identify herself as his daughter, many called her a liar. Joe "You Lie" Wilson initially called her coming forward, "a smear," on his image in an attempt to diminish his legacy. And after the Thurmond family admitted her paternity, Wilson apologized, but still held the belief that she should have never come forward. Yeah, so there's that.
    that is due to him being a d#%.
    and after she was a acknowledged, did they send her back to "her part of town"

social economics of birth are certainly a contributing factor. Are more blacks born poor? I don't know, go look in the sticks of Kentucky. Few blacks there 30 years ago.
    or is white priveledge a recent aquisition?

work ethic, motivation, drive to better yourself and your situation have nothing to do with your race.
    priveledge of being born white is not the same as born wealthy, being born black, Hispanic, Indian is not the same as being born poor.
    How you live matters
    How you see yourself matters
    We have taught or Foster kids (and so have our Foster family friends)
    You make your life
    Don't let anyone make it for you

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    that is due to him being a d#%.
    and after she was a acknowledged, did they send her back to "her part of town"

social economics of birth are certainly a contributing factor. Are more blacks born poor? I don't know, go look in the sticks of Kentucky. Few blacks there 30 years ago.
    or is white priveledge a recent aquisition?

work ethic, motivation, drive to better yourself and your situation have nothing to do with your race.
    priveledge of being born white is not the same as born wealthy, being born black, Hispanic, Indian is not the same as being born poor.
    How you live matters
    How you see yourself matters
    We have taught or Foster kids (and so have our Foster family friends)
    You make your life
    Don't let anyone make it for you

I don't think you understand the concept.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    American Express knew about this in the 80's...........

[video=youtube;u4jAqXAcziQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jAqXAcziQ[/video]

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    For a place where race is a verboten topic there certainly is a lot of talk about it on INGO.

Its not hard to tell who is what race reading these kind of threads, and which ones feel they are owed something for it. I will say that I am a caucasian male in my late 20's. If any of you think I owe you anything for the color of your skin I invite you to come and look for anything worth taking. Better yet live a week of my life and see how privileged I am to be white. And don't give me that outside looking in argument. I may have gotten hired over a black man (I hate the term "African American" because really, how many of you were actually born in Africa or even been there in your lifetime?) but it wasn't due to the color of my skin. It was due to my overall appearance and demeanor. I come to job interviews in my best suit, clean shaven, I am polite and speak grammatically ( I don't use words like dawg, yo, hommie, fer reel), I sit up, I don't wear a baseball cap (especially not sideways), and I don't smell like pot. So I get the job and the black man claims "white privilege" or racism. No, it is a problem deeply rooted in your culture that you as a people need to work on. I understand that not all of you are that way but it seems a vast majority in my age group are.

Oh and I stay off my cell phone during the interview.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Forgive me my rants

My family grew up in extreme poverty and to a person has overcome it. Not by being white but by hard work, drive, and not a little stubbornness.

Anytime I'm told that I have some priveledge and should pity or understand someone else's underprivledge it usually leads to me owing them due to my race and theirs

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For a place where race is a verboten topic there certainly is a lot of talk about it on INGO.

Its not hard to tell who is what race reading these kind of threads, and which ones feel they are owed something for it. I will say that I am a caucasian male in my late 20's. If any of you think I owe you anything for the color of your skin I invite you to come and look for anything worth taking. Better yet live a week of my life and see how privileged I am to be white. And don't give me that outside looking in argument. I may have gotten hired over a black man (I hate the term "African American" because really, how many of you were actually born in Africa or even been there in your lifetime?) but it wasn't due to the color of my skin. It was due to my overall appearance and demeanor. I come to job interviews in my best suit, clean shaven, I am polite and speak grammatically ( I don't use words like dawg, yo, hommie, fer reel), I sit up, I don't wear a baseball cap (especially not sideways), and I don't smell like pot. So I get the job and the black man claims "white privilege" or racism. No, it is a problem deeply rooted in your culture that you as a people need to work on. I understand that not all of you are that way but it seems a vast majority in my age group are.

Privilege has nothing to do with owing anybody anything. If that's what you guys think, then no wonder why your so butthurt. You get the job because your well spoken, clean shaven, dressed in a snappy manner, and have the qualifications for the job. And I'm assuming you don't need to defend why you have the job. Well, I am too, but that still didn't let me avoid the label "checkbox" or "token" when I first got hired at my PD, some by officers, some by people other than officers. Despite the fact that I had more education than the vast majority of my peers, worked in LE prior, and spoke Spanish.

Last edited:

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    So who is butthurt?

I'd like to turn the psychological end of this stick right back at you. If you feel whites are more privileged than you than maybe that says something about your personal view of your own race. Your racist against your own people and you can't even see it. You see your own people as being of lesser value than whites. You and people who think like you are the problem. I personally don't give two squirts of **** what color someone is. If they are a good person that's all that matters.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Privilege has nothing to do with owing anybody anything. If that's what you guys think, then no wonder why your so butthurt. You get the job because your well spoken, clean shaven, dressed in a snappy manner, and have the qualifications for the job. And I'm assuming you don't need to defend why you have the job. Well, I am too, but that still didn't let me avoid the label "checkbox" or "token" when I first got hired at my PD, some by officers, some by people other than officers. Despite the fact that I had more education than the vast majority of my peers, worked in LE prior, and spoke Spanish.

LOL. Is their any need for Spanish in Carmel?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I just don't realize how easy and privledged I have been.

Its amazing how I have overcome my wealth and privledge in order to understand your checked box butthurt

​put your big boy pants on and live with it. Everybody has something to deal with.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

These are all good qualities, but this discussion isn't about owing anyone anything or being guilty. It's not about your ability to speak well or answer your phone during an interview. It's about understanding strengths and incorporating those strengths into solving our problems. Maybe it's not a topic that can be appreciated by most, but I'm sure if some were to really examine the issue, they would be able to see the point.

Top Bottom