• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I see articles and stories pretty regularly about senior citizens being victims is scams. Next time I hear someone speaking against it, I'll get defensive and tell them to quit their whining and demanding special treatment or consideration.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If privilege does exist, what am I to do about it? Intentionally inconvenience myself to make up for it? Turn down offers and promotions? Increase affirmative action?

Why would you do any of that? If you worked hard, you are entitled to you rewards. It's not about what you "do," its about how you "think." I'll give you an outlandish example.

-First day of school, and you have a math test that if you score well on, you automatically get an A in the class. You don't know any of the other three students in your class, and you decide to cheat off of one of your classmates (all boys). There's a white guy, a black guy, and an Asian guy. Who do you cheat off?

-You go to the range, and you decide to a 2+2 shooting contest. The other 3 guys you can partner with, who you don't know, are from Texas, Illinois, and California. Which guy do you pick for your partner?

-You are going to play soccer with a few guys you don't know, and are going to partner with one of them. They are from Brazil, the US, and China. Who is the choice for your partner?

These are all examples of perception that leads to privilege. It's not confined to any one group. It doesn't make you racist or nationalist in you perception.... but you could very easily be wrong.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Because some who complain about the treatment of the handicapped are 400 pound blobs of gelatinous goo, I dismiss all complaints of the treatment of the handicapped.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I see articles and stories pretty regularly about senior citizens being victims is scams. Next time I hear someone speaking against it, I'll get defensive and tell them to quit their whining and demanding special treatment or consideration.

How about demanding to be treated with respect and not be scammed? I don't think that's special treatment, is it?

Okay, I failed at reading into the purple. :):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How about demanding to be treated with respect and not be scammed? I don't think that's special treatment, is it?

No it isn't. Just making the analogy. There are those who will dismiss all claims of any treatment because of a few they don't like. I'm not a senior citizen and I don't perpetrate and against them. I don't have to be offended by a media campaign to call attention to like so many are offended by any mention of racism, privelage etc. I don't understand why one is so offensive to INGO and the other isn't.

Thought maybe you misunderstood my point. :D

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I tire of this crap...white privilege....i had to sit at the end of my kitchen table till midnight after working 8 hours to get qualified for the job i have now...being white didnt make that easy....i had to pay my white friend 3000 bucks to hold my license to help me...i was glad to do it and he didnt offer me a discount because i was white...he actually came back and charged me 500 more since he had to use a vacation day to help me....its time to move on to the real problems facing this nation ..which are...indoctrination of public school children, incoming islamic extremism, mountain of debt, insecure borders, job outsourcing, and freaking stupid people staring at cell phones all day...those are my hot buttons..

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Why would you do any of that? If you worked hard, you are entitled to you rewards. It's not about what you "do," its about how you "think." I'll give you an outlandish example.

-First day of school, and you have a math test that if you score well on, you automatically get an A in the class. You don't know any of the other three students in your class, and you decide to cheat off of one of your classmates (all boys). There's a white guy, a black guy, and an Asian guy. Who do you cheat off?

-You go to the range, and you decide to a 2+2 shooting contest. The other 3 guys you can partner with, who you don't know, are from Texas, Illinois, and California. Which guy do you pick for your partner?

-You are going to play soccer with a few guys you don't know, and are going to partner with one of them. They are from Brazil, the US, and China. Who is the choice for your partner?

These are all examples of perception that leads to privilege. It's not confined to any one group. It doesn't make you racist or nationalist in you perception.... but you could very easily be wrong.
    Okay, so what should be done in all of these situations? Of course I'm going to make the choices you think I'm going to make. That's how you're saying privilege works, and I don't disagree. Should I intentionally not pick the ones I think are the stereotypically best choice? I mean, I know nothing about these people. All I've got is stereotypes, and for the purposes of this thought exercise I'm going to assume learning anything more about them isn't an option. I'm biased. It's fact, but in these scenarios the only other way to choose is to try and choose at random. Is that the better option?

So, let's say I recognize I'm giving privilege to these people. Okay, recognized. Now what? Where do we go from here?

I'm not even trying to argue privilege doesn't exist. I'm just asking what we're supposed to do about it.

gentlemen

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2015
    williamsport
    If we were to cross-reference all of these things with actual crime statistics, we would see that blacks commit a stunning percentage of crime in Australia relative to population size. Violent in particular.

And so why it is anything but rational to notice this, and act more suspicious of black people in some situations?

Consider the example used to illustrate the professors point. If a black man doesn't have any money and wants to take the bus for free, the odds of him attacking the bus driver are significantly higher than if he were a white man. These are facts rooted in crime statistics.

Why is it anything but rational to take this into account when assessing situations throughout our lives? Are we supposed to ignore reality or fear being called a racist? Isn't making "judgments" about people and situations based on good logic the primary reason we have come so far as a species?

And by the way, getting into medical school with mediocre grades, getting auto-promoted to "create a diverse work force," >taking a leak in the "employees only" urinal.

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I do live with it, but am I not allowed to recognize it?

recognize that my being white keeps me from seeing how you have been mistreated due to your race?

"That's because it's not obvious to those that benefit from it."
    -post #3

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    If a black person discriminated against is white privilege then I guess there must be black privilege we just call it affirmative action.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If we were to cross-reference all of these things with actual crime statistics, we would see that blacks commit a stunning percentage of crime in Australia relative to population size. Violent in particular.

And so why it is anything but rational to notice this, and act more suspicious of black people in some situations?

Consider the example used to illustrate the professors point. If a black man doesn't have any money and wants to take the bus for free, the odds of him attacking the bus driver are significantly higher than if he were a white man. These are facts rooted in crime statistics.

Why is it anything but rational to take this into account when assessing situations throughout our lives? Are we supposed to ignore reality or fear being called a racist? Isn't making "judgments" about people and situations based on good logic the primary reason we have come so far as a species?

And by the way, getting into medical school with mediocre grades, getting auto-promoted to "create a diverse work force," >taking a leak in the "employees only" urinal.

Australia? I assume you mean America. As for you being suspicious of black people, one would ask if you are black, or if the bus driver in the story you related was black. Black people are much more likely to commit violent crime.... against other blacks. And white people are much more likely to commit violent crime.... against other whites. The odds are MUCH higher that you will be a victim of crime perpetrated by a white person than a black. So, bears the question, are you more suspicious of whites or blacks?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    recognize that my being white keeps me from seeing how you have been mistreated due to your race?

"That's because it's not obvious to those that benefit from it."
    -post #3

Is it something you would rather stick your head in the sand and not recognize it, if it were true?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Okay, so what should be done in all of these situations? Of course I'm going to make the choices you think I'm going to make. That's how you're saying privilege works, and I don't disagree. Should I intentionally not pick the ones I think are the stereotypically best choice? I mean, I know nothing about these people. All I've got is stereotypes, and for the purposes of this thought exercise I'm going to assume learning anything more about them isn't an option. I'm biased. It's fact, but in these scenarios the only other way to choose is to try and choose at random. Is that the better option?

So, let's say I recognize I'm giving privilege to these people. Okay, recognized. Now what? Where do we go from here?

I'm not even trying to argue privilege doesn't exist. I'm just asking what we're supposed to do about it.

I gave you all examples of fairly positive stereotypes in which privilege is displayed. The problem is when there's a negative aspect associated with the privilege. It's had to tell people to rethink their general stereotypes, every person does it. But try to recognize it, and correct it when dealing with the individual. Sure, people say they do that, but I assure you, a great many don't.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    It certainly fits the general description.

So you agree there is discrimination against white people in this country as well as black people? What if this big push against racism against minorities backfires and turns into a big anti-white hate fest where white people are discriminated against or even killed because of their skin color? Would that count as a hate crime?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Is it something you would rather stick your head in the sand and not recognize it, if it were true?

Thats a big "if"

my head is not in the sand or any other area
    telling me that I can not see someone else's plight because I'm too priveledged to see it is like I said.....ignorant and trying to justify themselves and their agenda

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I believe part of the problem is the term "white privilege." It isn't about white folks being given a special handout or leg up. It is about the fact that nothing has been done to impede our progress due to the colour of our skin.

If you are white in America you or your recent ancestors have not been stopped from buying a home, based solely upon the colour of your skin. This has happened to minorities.
    If you are white in America your recent ancestors were not denied entrance to any school they wanted, based solely upon the colour of their skin. This has happened to minorities.
    If you are white in America your recent ancestors were not forced to sit somewhere else on a bus or in a restaurant, based solely upon the colour of their skin.
    If you are white in America you or or recent ancestors have not been denied employment, based solely upon the colour of your skin.

In all of these things we may have been denied something I have listed from above, but it wasn't due to the colour of our skin.

The list above could go on and on, but I think you get the point. There are millions of white Americans born with nothing or next to nothing that have overcome tremendous odds and pulled themselves up by the bootstraps to become successful. They have earned the right to be proud of their achievements. The point of "white privilege" is that the white colour of skin was never an impediment to that success. We, and our recent ancestors, have been allowed to chase the "American Dream" without worrying about whether or not we could get the job, go to the school, buy a home we could afford, due to the colour of our skin. We HAVE HAD other issues to worry about, but issues due to skin colour have not been one of them.

As a story my parents bought a home in Fort Wayne off of North Anthony just a few blocks north of Lake Avenue. On the opposite corner was the home of the first "black family" to move in back in the 1960's. The story goes that the realtor screwed up, because the gentleman that bought the home had a "white name" and was a licensed medical doctor. Well, imagine the ruckus when he finally came to the neighborhood. There was actually a petition signed by many seeking to deny him the ability to buy a home he could afford. They claimed home prices would fall if coloured folks were allowed to move in. The petition failed, he moved in, and several white families moved away. How many white folks have experienced this in the last 60 years based solely upon the colour of their skin? How would that have made him and his wife feel?

---

Now, I am going to shift gears and throw out an idea that this is FAR bigger than America. There was a political science professor who had the following question for students. Imagine that I have a machine that can go anywhere on earth at any time. I can change your skin pigmentation and your sex. I am going to pick you up and drop you off somewhere and somewhen from about 2,000BC to modern day. I won't tell you where or when you are going to be. You could be anywhere, anytime in the world. As you don't know where and when you will be, what race and sex would you choose?

The sex question is easy. Male. No matter where or when you are dropped women have gotten the short end of the stick for social mobility and rights from the dawn of civilization until just recently. Even now, women can speak to issues of respect and upward mobility.

So now we come to race. Inevitably, if you don't know where or when you are going to be dropped in to live the rest of your life, white is probably the safest - even in Africa! Sure, there have been limited times and places where you wouldn't want to be a white man, but overall white has the greatest chance of success. Whites went into the orient without issues due to skin colour. Whites went into Africa without issues due to skin colour. On and on it goes, with limited exceptions, whites have been tolerated while failing to reciprocate with equal tolerance.

As to the why? I'd have to ask a social anthropologist what it is about Europeans that have made them a very boot print on the world while being very intolerant of diversity. Maybe Christianity had something to do with it? Maybe it was their constant struggle with each other for resources? I don't know. What I do know is that racism is NOT owned by the American culture, but boy did we carry it to a level beyond where many did before.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that one exists. Does "white privilege" exist today in America? I would say yes. Studies I saw conducted in the recent past showed several college students all applying for the same job. Some white, some black. A mix of males and females both. The kids were all given nearly equal resumes and practiced answering questions as close to one another as possible. The whites got the job offers at a higher rate than the blacks. Here is a brief list of five (5) studies that cover different issues of racism in America: 5 Studies That Prove Racism Is Still Way Worse Than We Think | Cracked.com

Now, how to solve the problem? That is a difficult question. For me, the easiest way is to simply speak up when I hear or see something I perceive near me as racist. I will let people know I don't like certain racial epithets. I will let people know I don't appreciate degrading treatment of someone who is a minority. The other thing I try to do is just listen. Where I work I have driven a client who's grandmother was an actual slave during the civil war! This client is very old and her grandmother was old when the client was a child, but stories were passed on. I believe sometimes just empathizing and trying to understand is a big step in the right direction.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom