• MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The complaint department is that way.

4203825904_7d3b48d8fb.jpg

All complaints are forwarded to Trooper's mailbox.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, this started out as an intelligent discussion with the possibility of gaining perspective from others with a different world view. Unfortunately INGO has as usual degenerated it into a disrespectful joke.

Yeah, I figured it would get to this point, but am surprised how long it took to get there. I appreciate the serious contributors. I got one other poster to address, and then..... unless someone really says something outlandish... I will probably be done.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yeah, I figured it would get to this point, but am surprised how long it took to get there. I appreciate the serious contributors. I got one other poster to address, and then..... unless someone really says something outlandish... I will probably be done.

The topic is not serious in the first place.
    Why be serious about make believe bull****?

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek

This is what I meant when I was speaking of perspective. Ten years ago I was you. I live in an area that is very predominantly white. I my personal experiences I haven't witnessed, or at least haven't known that I was witnessing any kind of "white priveledge". In fact, where I am I see the exact opposite, at my work, at my wife's work etc. It is very easy to say "it doesn't exist" when you've never seen it. I will admit that in my early to mid twenties, based on my personal experiences,I struggled with prejudice. Not hate, I've never hated anyone based on their race, but bias, some resentment and stereotyping. I knew it was wrong, but events and things I had witnessed caused those feelings. Only through talking to people who had lived an entirely different life, with vastly different experiences in places I had never been, and a conscious effort on my part to try and not see the world only through my own eyes but through others also, led me out of that. Whether you are to that point or not, or ever will be,doesn't matter. Disrespect is disrespect whether you agree with someone or not. I may not think that this "privilege" is as wide spread or the major problem that some do, but I am always willing to listen and learn and try to be open minded and conscious of the fact that there are many places I have not been, and that I have never been anywhere that I wasn't still a white man, seeing the world as a white man. I am not a "white apologist" and I do not agree with a lot of things that happens in and around the black community. I just know that things always look different from the other side and I like to listen to those people, and am willing to change my thoughts or feelings depending on what I learn.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Driving to the Boat Show on Saturday, my wife made an interesting observation. Almost everyone on Keystone Ave, from 25th street to 38th St has the same front door. Heavy steel, with decorative bars. Apparently she's privileged for not needing one.

The world we all know can completely change in a matter of a few city blocks.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This is what I meant when I was speaking of perspective. Ten years ago I was you. I live in an area that is very predominantly white. I my personal experiences I haven't witnessed, or at least haven't known that I was witnessing any kind of "white priveledge". In fact, where I am I see the exact opposite, at my work, at my wife's work etc. It is very easy to say "it doesn't exist" when you've never seen it. I will admit that in my early to mid twenties, based on my personal experiences,I struggled with prejudice. Not hate, I've never hated anyone based on their race, but bias, some resentment and stereotyping. I knew it was wrong, but events and things I had witnessed caused those feelings. Only through talking to people who had lived an entirely different life, with vastly different experiences in places I had never been, and a conscious effort on my part to try and not see the world only through my own eyes but through others also, led me out of that. Whether you are to that point or not, or ever will be,doesn't matter. Disrespect is disrespect whether you agree with someone or not. I may not think that this "privilege" is as wide spread or the major problem that some do, but I am always willing to listen and learn and try to be open minded and conscious of the fact that there are many places I have not been, and that I have never been anywhere that I wasn't still a white man, seeing the world as a white man. I am not a "white apologist" and I do not agree with a lot of things that happens in and around the black community. I just know that things always look different from the other side and I like to listen to those people, and am willing to change my thoughts or feelings depending on what I learn.

tl;dr

White privilege is a made up talking point.
    You put the source of your "problem" on defensive from the start of the conversation.
    It's akin to asking when did you stop beating your wife.
    I don't agree with the assertion especially in today's coddling society.
    My perspective is just fine.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    While I appreciate your opinion, a question was posed to me once that I would like to ask all those who don't believe there is such a thing as "white privilege" If through science or by divine intervention you were given a opportunity to change your race right now, and given the thoughts like what ilikeguns wrote regarding those thoughts, and I quote " based on my personal experiences,I struggled with prejudice. Not hate, I've never hated anyone based on their race, but bias, some resentment and stereotyping" that I believe everyone has at one time or another. Would you choose to change to a different race than white?.... Just a some food for thought.

tl;dr

White privilege is a made up talking point.
    You put the source of your "problem" on defensive from the start of the conversation.
    It's akin to asking when did you stop beating your wife.
    I don't agree with the assertion especially in today's coddling society.
    My perspective is just fine.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    While I appreciate your opinion, a question was posed to me once that I would like to ask all those who don't believe there is such a thing as "white privilege" If through science or by divine intervention you were given a opportunity to change your race right now, and given the thoughts like what ilikeguns wrote regarding those thoughts, and I quote " based on my personal experiences,I struggled with prejudice. Not hate, I've never hated anyone based on their race, but bias, some resentment and stereotyping" that I believe everyone has at one time or another. Would you choose to change to a different race than white?.... Just a some food for thought.

Asian. Specifically Chinese.
    They are going to rule the world someday and don't look stupid using chopsticks to eat.
    Plus they are good at that math thing and math is hard.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Driving to the Boat Show on Saturday, my wife made an interesting observation. Almost everyone on Keystone Ave, from 25th street to 38th St has the same front door. Heavy steel, with decorative bars. Apparently she's privileged for not needing one.

The world we all know can completely change in a matter of a few city blocks.

That is spreading out my way. I am becoming a minority in my area . I am not feeling much privilege.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you think, or have you experienced, as an African American, that to speak up and call out the nonsense, that you get labeled within your own community as a "sellout"? Do you think that that possibility keeps other like minded minorities from speaking out and in turn seems to legitimize the nonsense? I'm just thinking out loud here.

Oh yeah, most certainly. A lot of people speak out against the nonsense in our community, but they often ridiculed as being a "sellout." It's kinda like being called a "white apologist." But, slowly there's a transition going on. You really don't see as much complaints coming from black people as you have in years past. I think this is a testament to out youth, who concerning such issues seem to be light years smarter. The seem to certainly be more inclusive, and willing to talk. Unfortunately, there seems to be an increase in complaints from our "fairer skinned" brothers. I don't know if there's some hysteria surrounding 2040, lol, but hopefully it's just a phase.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Because two guys with the same education, and skills, submitting resumes, one with the name Kareem and the other with the Christopher... is bull**** to believe one has the advantage over the other.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Hey, you might be right. But way too many hold my opinion.... and it's not just black people. And all of those people have been and will be instrumental in change. I mean they elected Obama. Look around. See where the country is headed. If you can't admit even the most minor flaws within our nation, why would someone who is actually majorly flawed want to correct themselves?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    But way too many hold my opinion....
    See, we do agree on something.

Liberal privilege

two people apply for the same job with the same qualifications but...................this one should get the job because he is oppressed, minority, under priveledged, and if he doesn't get it then your racist and showing white priveledge.

we have been doing a lot of hypotheticals lately, how about this one.
    If two people apply for a job at a minority owned business and the boss/HR manager/supervisor/person doing the hiring is black.

Who is most likely to get the job based on who they are?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    See, we do agree on something.

Liberal privilege

two people apply for the same job with the same qualifications but...................this one should get the job because he is oppressed, minority, under priveledged, and if he doesn't get it then your racist and showing white priveledge.

we have been doing a lot of hypotheticals lately, how about this one.
    If two people apply for a job at a minority owned business and the boss/HR manager/supervisor/person doing the hiring is black.

Who is most likely to get the job based on who they are?

If both are equally qualified, most likely the black guy. Do you agree?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So wait, you admit there's black privilege, but deny white privilege????

:headexplodes:

That's not a matter of privilege as much as the "comfort zone" of the HR guy.
    No, for the purpose of the discussion as posted in the OP the white guy would get the job regardless because of his privilege.
    That is the basis of the NYT article. Nobody argues black privilege or asian privilege because they are not the chosen target of todays world.

Top Bottom