• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What if they don't allow certain encryption, that's how the dark Web operates without oversight. Having control of names is the whole issue. They could review web pages and decide who they allow. There is no promise they will respect free speach. I've regestered and administered a remote Linux web server but I'm sure that means nothing to you.
    Just stop. Seriously.

ICANN doesn't register domains, they handle TLD's -top level domains - like .com, .org, .tv, etc. They are concern with should their be a TLD .gay or .search. They have no control over if ingunowners.com exist or not.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    ICANN doesn't register domains, they handle TLD's -top level domains - like .com, .org, .tv, etc. They are concern with should their be a TLD .gay or .search. They have no control over if ingunowners.com exist or not.

That's what I said in post #13.

However, ICANN began its life as the registrar of both names and DNS numbers; however, they were soon swamped with such tasks and out-sourced them to other registrars (e.g., GoDaddy.com). ICANN assigns a registrar a block of numbers so that separate registrars don't assign the same DNS number, and every night, the DNS servers are updated with a new "phone book".

Jedda is correct in that ICANN does not and never will control content. As of 2016, there were ~1 billion websites.

"By "Website" we mean unique hostname (a name which can be resolved, using a name server, into an IP Address). It must be noted that around 75% of websites today are not active, but parked domains or similar." [Emphasis mine]

At least one estimate puts the number of individual web pages at over 1 TRILLION. There's simply no way for any human agency or machine to index and monitor that much info on a daily basis. As of 2014, YouTube was getting 300 hours of video uploaded every minute. Again, there's no way to monitor that much info.

China or Iran could block YouTube for its citizens, but they can't do it for the world.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    True dark web does not use any name translation, only IP addresses and has nothing to do with DNS. There's going to be a big market for virtual web. An entire internet on VPN.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    True dark web does not use any name translation, only IP addresses and has nothing to do with DNS. There's going to be a big market for virtual web. An entire internet on VPN.

Some sort of DNS interaction is required if a packet is to reach its destination. You have to known where to SEND your packets, though the route of each may be different.

IP4 had ~4.5B unique numbers, while IP6 has ~281 trillion unique numbers. Obviously, it should never cause a conflict to simply pick an IP6 number at random to use as your Dark Web address, but how will other machines find that number on a network without some sort of roadmap? I can squat in any vacant house in the US and offer to sell drugs, but what if you can't find that house and see my inventory? I have to give you door-to-door directions IRL, and the same is true of a network.

Again, it's no big deal to create a fictional name and register; in fact, I'd say squatting on an unregistered DNS number would raise far more red flags for anyone looking for illegal activity.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    So you're saying that routing won't do it alone, DNS is needed somewhere. But it's not possible to redirect traffic with DNS alone.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Apparently you have no grasp of how DNS works.

ICANN used to use IP4 (that is, a number of the form xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx, where "xxx" could be a value from 0 to 256, so 256^4 possible combinations) but we had to switch to IP6 because we used up all the IP4 numbers. You don't NEED a name to access a site; you could enter an IP4 or IP6 number in the URL field of your browser, but most people rely on names instead of numbers. That why we've had PHONE BOOKS for 100 years.
    ICANN has nothing to do with IP addresses at all. Registering a Domain name does not require IP addresses. Once you have registered a domain name you tell the Internet what your DNS servers are through the registrar that you used. Then when someone wants to get to something in your domain, they query your DNS servers to find out where to go.

There also was no required change to IPv6. The ISPs are the ones that are moving to IPv6. Much of the Internet still functions on IPv4 and will for the foreseeable future.

Guess we will see, just don't cry if it effects you in any way. Good trolling out there!
    No one has been trolling. People not agreeing with your conspiracy theories does not make them trolls.

Some sort of DNS interaction is required if a packet is to reach its destination. You have to known where to SEND your packets, though the route of each may be different.

IP4 had ~4.5B unique numbers, while IP6 has ~281 trillion unique numbers. Obviously, it should never cause a conflict to simply pick an IP6 number at random to use as your Dark Web address, but how will other machines find that number on a network without some sort of roadmap? I can squat in any vacant house in the US and offer to sell drugs, but what if you can't find that house and see my inventory? I have to give you door-to-door directions IRL, and the same is true of a network.

Again, it's no big deal to create a fictional name and register; in fact, I'd say squatting on an unregistered DNS number would raise far more red flags for anyone looking for illegal activity.
    This is not true. DNS has nothing to do with routing. DNS only resolves the domain name into an IP address.

Your traffic is sent to the Internet with that IP address as its destination. The traffic is routed by ISP routers that only know about IP addresses until it reaches its destination.

If you are trying to get to a website, once your traffic arrives at the server, the server will look at the whole URL that was trying to be accessed and send you to the website your URL matches. You may or may not have to use the actual domain name in the URL depending upon how the server is configured.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    From Wiki:

"Much of its work has concerned the Internet's global Domain Name System, including policy development for internationalization of the DNS system, introduction of new generic top-level domains (TLDs), and the operation of root name servers. The numbering facilities ICANN manages include the Internet Protocol address spaces for IPv4 and IPv6, and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries."

As I noted in post #22, ICANN turned over number assignment to registrars, as the task was getting to big for them to manage on their budget.

As for the need for IPv6, read here about IPv4 address exhaustion. Yes, we'll be using IPv4 for awhile, but IPv6 was most certainly needed. BTW, I was wrong on the number of available unique addresses with IPv6; it's approximately 3.4×10^38.

ICANN has nothing to do with IP addresses at all. Registering a Domain name does not require IP addresses. Once you have registered a domain name you tell the Internet what your DNS servers are through the registrar that you used. Then when someone wants to get to something in your domain, they query your DNS servers to find out where to go.

There also was no required change to IPv6. The ISPs are the ones that are moving to IPv6. Much of the Internet still functions on IPv4 and will for the foreseeable future.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    From Wiki:

"Much of its work has concerned the Internet's global Domain Name System, including policy development for internationalization of the DNS system, introduction of new generic top-level domains (TLDs), and the operation of root name servers. The numbering facilities ICANN manages include the Internet Protocol address spaces for IPv4 and IPv6, and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries."

As I noted in post #22, ICANN turned over number assignment to registrars, as the task was getting to big for them to manage on their budget.

As for the need for IPv6, read here about IPv4 address exhaustion. Yes, we'll be using IPv4 for awhile, but IPv6 was most certainly needed. BTW, I was wrong on the number of available unique addresses with IPv6; it's approximately 3.4×10^38.
    Don't need to read about it, I live it every day.

Managing address spaces means leasing use of subnets to companies, generally ISPs, that then use them for their networks. That is totally separate from Domain name registrations.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Okay, so tinfoil hat aside, I have some questions.

Who benefits from such a handover? If it doesn't benefit the United States in some form or fashion, why give it away?

Why now?

Top Bottom