• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    It shows our concern for fairness and that we realize that the US is not exceptional, that we agree countries like China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, et al are just as concerned with a free internet as we are.

The sad part is you're probably close to the truth even in your sarcasm.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Okay, so tinfoil hat aside, I have some questions.

Who benefits from such a handover? If it doesn't benefit the United States in some form or fashion, why give it away?

Why now?

Because big government sucks, so anything like this is an improvement. Why do I want Obama controlling the internet? :dunno:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Some sort of DNS interaction is required if a packet is to reach its destination. You have to known where to SEND your packets, though the route of each may be different.

IP4 had ~4.5B unique numbers, while IP6 has ~281 trillion unique numbers. Obviously, it should never cause a conflict to simply pick an IP6 number at random to use as your Dark Web address, but how will other machines find that number on a network without some sort of roadmap? I can squat in any vacant house in the US and offer to sell drugs, but what if you can't find that house and see my inventory? I have to give you door-to-door directions IRL, and the same is true of a network.

Again, it's no big deal to create a fictional name and register; in fact, I'd say squatting on an unregistered DNS number would raise far more red flags for anyone looking for illegal activity.
    Based on your own example, I don't need your address. You give me your latitude and longitude and I can find it all the same. Even to the USPS, your "address" isn't where your mail gets delivered. Your address a zip code + route number + walk sequence number. It's why your DNS server entries in your configuration are IP address, not names.

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Okay, so tinfoil hat aside, I have some questions.

Who benefits from such a handover? If it doesn't benefit the United States in some form or fashion, why give it away?

Why now?
    Obama's personal ambition to be a leader in the UN. He bought something with that deal....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Obama's personal ambition to be a leader in the UN. He bought something with that deal....

That's Secretary-General to you.

obamaun.png

Top Bottom