• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Ok seriously i dont get how its the federal governments right to tell the state how to run elections and secondly common sense would seem like the only way showing ID to vote would impede voting is for illegals who cant get a drivers license right or ID Card right?

Justice Department Files Objection To Texas Voter ID Law | Fox News

jake

you answered your own question.

Plus, a lot of low income/poor do not have government issued ID, this group tends to vote very heavily in the liberal direction.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    you answered your own question.

Plus, a lot of low income/poor do not have government issued ID, this group tends to vote very heavily in the liberal direction.

It is not that expensive to get an ID to vote. Some places were even offering them for free in Indiana if I remember correctly. It is not about the poor, it is about voter fraud and the more voter fraud the more likely that Obama will win.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It is not that expensive to get an ID to vote. Some places were even offering them for free in Indiana if I remember correctly. It is not about the poor, it is about voter fraud and the more voter fraud the more likely that Obama will win.

I didn't say it was a good excuse. I am just regurgitating what the media spews out.

We have the government our Founding Fathers tried to protect us from.
    The Ministry of Truth will fix this ......
    All solute big brother.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    The king has spoken.

The king sure likes to tell the States what to do.

The king can go to Hell.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    What would actually happen if Texas simply told the Federal Judge to stuff it? Would Uncle Sam invade Texas to uphold the judge's decision?

i'm sure they would...... but to go further i would get spanked for advocating revolution....

jake

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok seriously i dont get how its the federal governments right to tell the state how to run elections

Ummm, remember the Civil War? Remember Reconstruction, Jim Crow and Civil Rights Act after Civil Rights Act from 1866 on?

If you remember what happened then that is how.

The South cannot do whatever it wants as it receives special scrutiny for what it did.

(Not saying it is not time to end it, just explaining why and how).

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Ummm, remember the Civil War? Remember Reconstruction, Jim Crow and Civil Rights Act after Civil Rights Act from 1866 on?

If you remember what happened then that is how.

The South cannot do whatever it wants as it receives special scrutiny for what it did.

(Not saying it is not time to end it, just explaining why and how).

true! but its not like they are racially profiling, they just want to make sure they are citizens how is that discriminatory? i've had to show my license to vote, i didnt feel like it impeded me...........

jake

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but its not like they are racially profiling, they just want to make sure they are citizens how is that discriminatory?

The statute says that since this is a Southern state those 14 Southern states receive extra scrutiny.

Texas may very well be able to show that they are not discriminating but because of that state's behaviour in the past Texas will have the burden to prove that they are not seeking to prevent exercise of the franchise.

The king sure likes to tell the States what to do.

The King? No, this is the Constitution in operation.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What would actually happen if Texas simply told the Federal Judge to stuff it? Would Uncle Sam invade Texas to uphold the judge's decision?

Uncle Sam is already predeployed to Texas, no reason to invade as it is already ours.:D

If Texas enforced its statute without a Mother May I from the federal court then Gov. Perry would be in front of the court explaining himself.

The South cannot do whatever it whats in regard to the franchise. Too much blood was shed to get them to behave like proper Americans.

In 2031 we shall again see whether it can do without federal oversight.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    The statute says that since this is a Southern state those 14 Southern states receive extra scrutiny.

Texas may very well be able to show that they are not discriminating but because of that state's behaviour in the past Texas will have the burden to prove that they are not seeking to prevent exercise of the franchise.

The King? No, this is the Constitution in operation.

ok so if ( i dont know why they didnt) make it a state law encompassing the entire state then no problem right?

jake

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ok so if ( i dont know why they didnt) make it a state law encompassing the entire state then no problem right?

Jake, I'm sorry, not being deliberately obtuse, but . . . what?

We are discussing a Texas state law, it encompasses the entire state of Texas. Could you please restate your question?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Sorry I took the statement about the lower half of the state to mean that the law only covered those 14 districts and not the entire state.

My apologies

Jake

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sorry I took the statement about the lower half of the state to mean that the law only covered those 14 districts and not the entire state.

Lower half of the state? 14 districts? I am completely confused.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 mandates that 14 states (and certain cities in the North) be subject to §5 of the Act which mandates preclearance for laws impacting the franchise.

Perhaps this will clear things up:

Voting Rights Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Don't worry kirk. I hadn't slept since early yesterday. I'm sure I was just confused. I prolly shouldn't have been on here......... I wonder what other threads I screwed up

Jake

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No sweat, Jake.

The controversy comes from the preclearance provisions of the VRA.

Some in the South believe that it treats them unfairly, as Indiana, or other Northern states, can have a Voter ID law, but South Carolina and Texas cannot because of the sins of the greatgreatgrandfathers. Some in the South believe that since their horrific loss, Reconstruction and the shift in attitudes that they should be forgiven and allowed to do what they decide to do.

"Congress is declaring from on high that states with voting problems 40 years ago can simply never be forgiven, that Georgians must eternally wear the scarlett letter because of the actions of their grandparents and great-grandparents. ... We have repented and we have reformed."

Other say that what the South did can never be forgiven or forgotten and should not be allowed to their own devices as the legacy of the losses of the Civil War, Jim Crow, the Freedmen's Law, and the Klan all prove that the South cannot be trusted.

Regardless of who is right or wrong we are going to be dealing with the VRA until 2031 at least.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I was under the impression that any change a southern state made to its voting laws had to get the approval of the DOJ before it could go into effect.

So basically: If Vermont decides to make a voter ID law the federal government can't do anything unless they prove that it is in violation of the constitution.

But If Alabama passes a voter ID law the DOJ can swat it down with little to no justification.

(Not saying I agree with it, just checking if I got the law right)

Top Bottom