• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I appreciate the thoughts, now let's seem some action from the stand! I'm off to processor to pick up the boy's doe and then have some tweeking to do on a little $130 Barnett Recurve Recruit xbow. My goal is now to kill a doe or two with this budget hunting setup.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well, where do I start. Pretty slow morning until around 8. I started seeing a couple of fork points grazing in front of my stand, and decided to take a pic of them. Just as I was getting my camera open, my wife texts me and asks if I've seen anything.

As I am texting her back, I glance up to see where the forkys are and wouldn't you know it, big 10pt at 25 yards on a string coming directly at me. I was stuck, bow on the hanger, phone in hand. He came to 7 yards before he looked at my ladder, then me, and decided something wasn't right. He stomped once and slowly turned around and started to trot off.

As he's slipping out, I grab my bow, come to full draw made a grunt to stop him. His vitals were halfway behind a tree at 35 yards and he was on high alert. I settled my pin on him, knowing it was now or never, and squeezed it off...........WHACK!..........

Notice the green nock.....

I smoked the tree........

He jumped at the sound and ran about 10 yards, before slowly grazing into the corn. I'll rest that stand for a week or so and try to seal the deal at a later date.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Way to windy here this morning. Even the squirrels said "screw it, back to bed". Might make it back out this evening. Otherwise tomorrow morning it will be.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wife ran a half marathon this morning so in the stand for the first time this year at 145. Hunter out scouting walks by at 215. Doe and 2 fawns sneak up from the wrong direction lol at 230. She stared at me the whole time but didn't spook. Never even could get the bow off the hanger...

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    well for the first time ever my "buck gut" was wrong. Every year since i was in 6th grade my cousin would call the night before and ask me if i thought the weather was good for a buck in the am. I wasn't a hunter then but was good at reading the weather. If i said no he wouldn't go and if i said yes he was all amped up. well last night i said yes and i just got the text saying he was leaving the woods with an empty truck bed:(

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    6 boxes of 9mm get you a $130 Barnett Recruit xbow at Dunham's.

It's paper plate good at 25 yards with some cheap Allen broadheads from Walmart.

Deer hunting on a budget.

10660348_10152441524333528_3814687082701667112_n.jpg

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    6 boxes of 9mm get you a $130 Barnett Recruit xbow at Dunham's.

It's paper plate good at 25 yards with some cheap Allen broadheads from Walmart.

Deer hunting on a budget.

10660348_10152441524333528_3814687082701667112_n.jpg
    good luck, and glad to see you're getting out after the string of ****ty luck you've had. hope you stick something, and if you decide to part with the budget set up after this season, i'm calling dibs.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    First day in the stand was pretty good. Hunted this afternoon and saw 6 does and 2 bucks. No shots taken but a good first hunt.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    What the heck? Got out this evening for the first time this season. Normally, I'm trying to stay cool and not sweat opening weekend of bow. It was actually cold today. Windy as is an understatement. Saw a family of 5 coons in the tree next to me, some squirrels, turkey vulture, crow and a Cooper's Hawk. Not one deer but not surprised either.

Had fun and enjoyed the sit in spite of the chilly temps for this time of year and wind. I did check on a run line I spotted a couple weeks ago. A bigger buck must've come in and completely shredded the rub line so there is that.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Went out this morning. Man was it cold. Felt like December not start of October. Saw nothing
    it was from a new stand and it is still early. It maybe a better afternoon stand. Not really sure right now

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Took my daughter over to Wilbur Wright today for her first hunt. The goal was to get her some squirrels, but I carried my bow just in case. We jumped a doe about 300 yds into our hike. All we could see was a white butt going straight away at a fast clip. We got to our spot and sat for a bit, but never saw a tree rat. Can't decide if it was the wind, time of day, or the impatience of a 9 year old girl that kept them hunkered down. Probably a healthy combination of all of that. On our way out I told her to be as quiet as possible as we approached a clearing, sure enough two does were feeding about 80 yards down a mowed path. We crept to about 35 yds and they blew out when I drew back. She was a bit bummed that we didn't get anything, but today taught her some valuable lessons and I had my most enjoyable day in the field yet to date!

Top Bottom