• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Recent threads regarding the hunting or plain eradication of wild hogs in Indiana got me thinking.
    We need a way to track the progression or propagation of wild hogs in Indiana, and a place to ask for/offer help.
    I hope this thread can serve this function.
    I know we don't want wild hog populations to grow here, but it would be nice to know if they have been seen in a given area.

So, to that end, please post up your Indiana wild hog sightings, whether you hunted/shot or not, where (county and/or town) and when (day/month/time of day...)

I hope this gains interest.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have property in southern Fountain county, less than a mile from Parke county.
    Are there any hogs in my neck of the woods?
    I have deer and wild turkey populations to watch out for.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It’s been a few years now but for awhile hog sightings in my neck of the woods (by me) we’e getting common. I live kinda close to the White river and I’ve been told pigs are down there. I haven’t seen any in some time though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Read here…
    There may not be an established population of wild hogs in Indiana, yet...

I've read in the past that even a hog born in captivity, once loosed, will turn completely feral in a matter of weeks, and there is no reversal.
    Once feral, always feral.
    Hogs also propagate at a fairly prolific pace, so it wouldn't take more than just a couple of hogs to break loose and start a wild sounder.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It’s been a few years now but for awhile hog sightings in my neck of the woods (by me) we’e getting common. I live kinda close to the White river and I’ve been told pigs are down there. I haven’t seen any in some time though.
    Yes, most of the hog sightings in Indiana seem to come from near the East Fork White River. I read somewhere that they tend to use river bottoms as travel corridors and spread out from there. I don't here as much about hog sightings as I used to either.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mgderf, I think if yo had hogs, your land would show it.

Bobcats are highly probable. I live in NE Warren county, and have bobcat on trail cam.
    I'm probably going to be at the Johnson County fair on Saturday. There will be PLENTY there.
    I know we have bobcat, though I have not seen one.
    My brother saw one a mere 500 yards from our property and our next door neighbor said he had two walk across his back deck.
    Many, many eagles, and we are pretty flush with wild turkey.
    Some of the turkey presence has to do with the fact that there is a NWTF sanctuary across y road from our property. :D
    I do worry about hogs making an appearance though.
    Not a large hog operation within a good distance, but...
    TF-please report on any you see.
    How many, what size, time of day, what color of shorts you were wearing...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think some folks were trying to start hog populations.
    That all went away when laws were changed on raising/transporting pigs.
    Those Russian boar breeders in Michigan were just doing it for the meat LOL

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    No hogs in SE Parke County. Plenty of deer, turkey, coyotes, bobcats, eagles, hawks, owls and such.

Wish we had hogs so I could use my thermal scope at night....

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    140130_0002_zpsd2cd035c.jpg sow_zpsdeb42d1c.jpg

I killed these in 2014. I killed about a dozen total, from around 2007-2015. Saw a lot more. I lost most of my pics when photobucket went under. I haven't seen or heard of any in several years now, the USDA hit them very hard.

I really loved hunting these things. I travel down south to hunt now, but it's just not the same.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes, most of the hog sightings in Indiana seem to come from near the East Fork White River. I read somewhere that they tend to use river bottoms as travel corridors and spread out from there. I don't here as much about hog sightings as I used to either.
    I think some folks were trying to start hog populations.
    That all went away when laws were changed on raising/transporting pigs.
    Those Russian boar breeders in Michigan were just doing it for the meat LOL
    This is what I was told one time about the pigs around here. The story I was told was that a guy over by Leesville was trying to get something started and that’s where they got started.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    011_zpsd9bbb267.jpg 20230720_220050.jpg

This was the biggest boar I killed, weighed about 190. I took a buddy out and he killed a 250 pounder, it was a monster.

Talk about exciting times, chasing these things at night, often alone, with a mag-light and a single shot 12 guage. Following wounded hogs into the brush. Man, I do miss it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    View attachment 288398 View attachment 288399

This was the biggest boar I killed, weighed about 190. I took a buddy out and he killed a 250 pounder, it was a monster.

Talk about exciting times, chasing these things at night, often alone, with a mag-light and a single shot 12 guage. Following wounded hogs into the brush. Man, I do miss it.
    I'd love the chance to do that, but I think I'll have more than a single shot.
    No offense, but you're nuts dude!

Top Bottom