• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    IN DNR recently published a report that stated bobcats have been comfirmed in every Indiana county. Hogs, and I have no flippin' understanding of hunting them, seem very destructive. My grandmother grew up in Florida and stated they were fast and aggressive. She also claimed most didn't like the meat enough to hunt them and would usually kill them due to the damage they caused. I appreciate hunting and those who do it. But I'd prefer to not have an active hog population in IN. Side note: It's odd that some species are fair game to hunt any time, any where yet they seem uncontrollable like hogs, snakes, weird fish... yet humans are routinely blamed for loss of species/animals due to over hunting. So, we're not hunting the bad critters enough or we simply cannot over hunt bad critters?

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Yes, most of the hog sightings in Indiana seem to come from near the East Fork White River. I read somewhere that they tend to use river bottoms as travel corridors and spread out from there. I don't here as much about hog sightings as I used to either.
    I live on the White river, east of Muncie....no hogs here.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes, most of the hog sightings in Indiana seem to come from near the East Fork White River. I read somewhere that they tend to use river bottoms as travel corridors and spread out from there. I don't here as much about hog sightings as I used to either.
    Here is a person who knows the deal.. The only known population was down along the East Fork of the White between Sparksville and Rivervale. In around what is known as the "Devils Backbone"

But they went in and hit them hard... some private landowners down there were trying to keep it hush hush as they liked there no limit hunt anytime deal.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    IN DNR recently published a report that stated bobcats have been comfirmed in every Indiana county. Hogs, and I have no flippin' understanding of hunting them, seem very destructive. My grandmother grew up in Florida and stated they were fast and aggressive. She also claimed most didn't like the meat enough to hunt them and would usually kill them due to the damage they caused. I appreciate hunting and those who do it. But I'd prefer to not have an active hog population in IN. Side note: It's odd that some species are fair game to hunt any time, any where yet they seem uncontrollable like hogs, snakes, weird fish... yet humans are routinely blamed for loss of species/animals due to over hunting. So, we're not hunting the bad critters enough or we simply cannot over hunt bad critters?
    Yes, that is the problem with hogs. They are extremely destructive and will tear up a crop field in no time, not to mention they seem to seek out ground bird nests.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Very destructive is an understatement, they are unbelievably destructive. I was fortunate enough to hunt nilgai on a National Wildlife Refuge property deep in south Texas a few years ago and the hog damage from rooting was incredible. This was a part of Texas that is too dry to really support hogs at maximum capacity and the Feds were actively trapping them but the property still looked like a bombed out war zone covered with hog rooted craters! It had been a cattle ranch that was donated to USFWS and the Feds were trying re-establish native trees on the pastures instead of allowing it to grow up in prickly pear and brush. They must have planted trees on close to 200 acres of pasture, tree tubes and all. I doubt there was more than a tree seedling per acre alive in the whole area as that is where the hogs concentrated their rooting.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Here is a person who knows the deal.. The only known population was down along the East Fork of the White between Sparksville and Rivervale. In around what is known as the "Devils Backbone"

But they went in and hit them hard... some private landowners down there were trying to keep it hush hush as they liked there no limit hunt anytime deal.
    I being one of those landowners. The USDA has killed over 750 in my area. Their funding runs out in another 2 months and will be leaving.

I've chased the buggers since 1996 and miss the fun they provided.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I being one of those landowners. The USDA has killed over 750 in my area. Their funding runs out in another 2 months and will be leaving.

I've chased the buggers since 1996 and miss the fun they provided.
    You think there's any left to repopulate? Been a long time since I've heard of any killed.

Top Bottom