OH will recognize IN LTCH in the near future!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Considering that the cops in Ohio are some of the MOST anti gun cops I have ever seen I can't understand why anyone would choose to go in there with a sidearm. Some of them couldn't care less if you have a permit or not. They don't believe "citizens" should have guns even if the law says it's OK. Illinois is about the same. I lived in Illinois for 12 years and today I will gladly drive all the way around that State rather than go through it. And I have several times.

As with any other State, I'm sure it depends on where you are. I know there are some Cincinnati MPD who think that way (and live on in YouTube infamy) - and then there's the jackwagon who is (was?) the Hamilton County sheriff - but my experience in both Butler and Clermont counties, as a then-resident CCW holder, was completely different.

If I'm still at my current client in another month and a half, I suppose I may get the chance to find out how the LEO in Miami and Shelby counties are - though that would likely require interactions with them that don't normally happen (since I don't speed or otherwise draw attention to myself).

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    When I travel I always have a printed copy of pertinent laws from each state's website. It took awhile but did find Ohio's. For anyone interested:

Lawriter - ORC - 109.69 [Effective 3/23/2015] Reciprocity agreement.

What is pertinent for most of us is located more than half way down a long page under:

109.69 [Effective 3/23/2015] Reciprocity agreement
    (B)
    (3)

Here is the site for a pamphlet on CCW law printed by Ohio. It is not up to date yet.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...30969e83465e/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Manual.aspx

For other issues:

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.126 [Effective 3/23/2015] Duties of licensed individual.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    so, since IN has no competency requirements to be eligible for an LTCH, are our eligibility requirements truly "substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code"? Link is to the effectiv 3-23-15 version.

same for the age requirements of 18 vs 21...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    so, since IN has no competency requirements to be eligible for an LTCH, are our eligibility requirements truly "substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code"? Link is to the effectiv 3-23-15 version.

same for the age requirements of 18 vs 21...

It doesn't matter, as that condition comes from 109.69 (B)(1).

(B)(1) and (B)(2) apply to Ohio residents. (B)(3) applies to non-residents and has no such training or reciprocity agreement requirements.

I haven't looked into the age question.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    It doesn't matter, as that condition comes from 109.69 (B)(1).

(B)(1) and (B)(2) apply to Ohio residents. (B)(3) applies to non-residents and has no such training or reciprocity agreement requirements.

I haven't looked into the age question.
    I've heard the age requirement is 21. Completely stupid.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    With all the stupid stipulations, it soulnds like Carry in Ohio is a giant pain in the butt. I don't think I'll be walking around any major OH cities straped any time soon...

Good to know for driving purposes though - I drive through Ohio a few times a year on family vacations. Previously I would stop at a gas station on the border and disarm before making the hour or so drive though. At least now I can eliminate that hassle.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    With all the stupid stipulations, it soulnds like Carry in Ohio is a giant pain in the butt. I don't think I'll be walking around any major OH cities straped any time soon...

Good to know for driving purposes though - I drive through Ohio a few times a year on family vacations. Previously I would stop at a gas station on the border and disarm before making the hour or so drive though. At least now I can eliminate that hassle.

It's actually not that bad. I had no problems carrying concealed, and the State has preemption, so legal Open Carry is perfectly fine as well. All you have to remember is that "no guns" signs properly posted carry the weight of law, and incur a criminal trespass charge if violated.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've heard the age requirement is 21. Completely stupid.

Don't trust what you've heard, investigate for yourself.

There is no law that I am aware of prohibiting an 18 year old from carrying a handgun in Ohio. You could already carry openly without any permit.

Although one must be 21 to apply for a permit to conceal from Ohio, soon they will recognize our LTCH as a suitable exception to their concealment prohibition for those who wish to cover it or carry in a vehicle. Unless they are adding some wonky provision to exclude 18-20 year olds from this new license recognition (which I haven't seen), I suspect it will be lawful just like open carrying.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    okay, I'm a day late :p, but.....

Today's The Day!!!!!!!

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yep. I celebrated by packing my travel handgun for my trip this week. I might even try to make time to get to a range nearby.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    (3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, aperson who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealedhandgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state,regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has enteredinto a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general underdivision (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily inthis state, during the time that the person is temporarily in thisstate the license issued by the other license-issuing state shallbe recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this
    state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealedhandgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealedhandgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code."
    :yesway:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    If yesterday was the day, then why is Indiana not listed for reciprocity? I see 23 states recognized with the 5 that were added yesterday, but Indiana is not one of them.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...rney-General-DeWine-Announces-Concealed-Carry
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...s/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Agreements.aspx

I believe that I am still covered with my Arizona permit, but I would be very paranoid if I were relying only on my Indiana License... Just sayin'

Ohio will not enter into an agreement with Indiana because Indiana does not require training. However, they now recognize Indiana, and all other states, licenses/permits regardless as long as you are there on a "temporary" basis (which basically means as long as you are not living in Ohio)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Now -
    Does this 1000ft school thing apply to only non-resident license holders like Indiana that didn't take a class to be licensed?
    Or does it affect all non-resident license holders like Utah that did take classes to be licensed also?

Who needs to steer clear of the schools? :dunno:

Top Bottom