Olive oil as a good pistol lubricant? Give me your thoughts!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Heard from a guy from a guy that olive oil is as good as anything you would pay for as a pistol/rifle lube. What do you all think?:ingo:

While you're pondering over that question, watch this guy eat cotton candy backward...I can't stop watching.:thatshot:

I Can't Stop Watching This Dude Eat Cotton Candy In Reverse

If that was all you had I'm sure it's better than running it dry. But it's not good as a mineral-based lubricant. Olive and other vegetable oils spoil (i.e. become rancid) but the worst problems are:

1) They breakdown and form a sticky "sludge" on contact with air. This gums up the workings of mechanical devices and could leave your firearm inoperable when you need it most.

2) They burn at relatively low temperatures. So any oil in contact with the parts of your gun that get hot will smoke and burn and form carbon deposits which also will interfere with operations.

Both of these are why use on a firearm is not a good idea.

Use a good quality GUN oil. If you are just have none availble, use a high quality machine oil or even motor oil. Don't use vegetable oils or WD40. WD40 is more solvent than lubricant.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Originally Posted by printcraft

That stuff can fix anything. :yesway:

I hear tell that when Popeye has a stiff joint that what he
    soaks it in.

Nobody is going to remark about this post!? Nobody?

Pure frigin
    genius right up there, gentlemen...

LEaSH,
    I think many of the people here are simply too young to know about Olive Oyle. :D

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I’d be afraid of gaining weight due to Italian food cravings...

If you are hard up for firearm maintenance lubes run to the auto parts store and get some heavy weight synthetic motor oil and grease.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    just because something says "oil" in their name doesn't mean it's a good gun lubricant.

Keep the olive oil in the pantry and for Caesar Salads and grillin' pork loins and steaks.

YMMV

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    wouldn't it "cook off" easily given the temps we can see on the barrel/rails/lugs? If desperate, maybe it would work. I'll stick to my synthetic motor oil. Not much more expensive, and meant to go on high-temp high-friction applications vs keeping my spaghetti from clumping...

-rvb

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nothing like a pistol full of rancid oil. :)

This. Keep the organics away from your firearms.:) Good synthetic lube made for firearms may cost more than a gallon of EVOO, but you don't use much and it lasts a long time.

This is tripping over dimes to save a nickel IMO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Olive oil has a low smoke point (better the quality the lower the smoke point) and its flash point is just over its smoke point.

It won't stay on your 1911 long.

Go buy some Kellube, SLIP2000, Lucas lube, melted hinge grease, inter alia and leave the olive oil for cooking.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That stuff can fix anything. :yesway:

I hear tell that when Popeye has a stiff joint that what he soaks it in.

Thanks dude. Three minutes after reading that it finally sank in and I spit out RC and Sausage, Egg, and Cheese biscuit onto my keyboard.

Shop just opened and I have a f%$#ng cleanup on desk 8....

I would rep you and still may if I can get tis meal out of my keyboard.

That was not kewl man...Not kewl at all...:D

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    It doesn't degrade metal/plastic. I was just wondering what you all thought about it. There are better/other options, but that doesn't mean you're not wasting your money on lube that does the job for 10$ more. Also, if you haven't seen the guy eating cotton candy backward..I will give you all another chance:

http://deadspin.com/i-cant-stop-watching-this-dude-eat-cotton-candy-in-rev-507709103

Have a great weekend INGO Brothers!

It seems like it would be a poor idea. There are many good biodegradable lubricants out there now (Froglube and Triflow Green/Soy come to mind) which have tested properties and in-the-field experience showing that they work well enough for the job.

Keep in mind that biodegradable oils will lose much of their needed properties within DAYS of application. In the case of Triflow Soy, that openly state that it will completely break down in less that 28 days.

:twocents:

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    The folks who sell firearms lubes and cleaners are not dummys--one would think they have chemists and metallurgists working for them. If olive oil was really good they would be selling it ---

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    It seems like it would be a poor idea. There are many good biodegradable lubricants out there now (Froglube and Triflow Green/Soy come to mind) which have tested properties and in-the-field experience showing that they work well enough for the job.

Keep in mind that biodegradable oils will lose much of their needed properties within DAYS of application. In the case of Triflow Soy, that openly state that it will completely break down in less that 28 days.

:twocents:

False. Ballistol for example. For those that care to read: http://www.ballistol.com/1_Ballistol 2010 Amazing Story Flyer PROOF3.pdf

Top Bottom