• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I recently picked up a 45, but I typically use 9mm, and have a decent stash of ammo in that caliber. Is it better to diversify, or to streamline my kit for one type of ammo?

Pro: If availability of one caliber runs dry, I have another option.
    Con: I would have to stockpile twice as much ammmo.

Money is an issue, stopping power is not.

What does INGO think?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This particular INGOer has cut out .40 as a caliber...

Down to 9mm and .38/357 and I'm OK with that.

Cost was a BIG factor in my decision.

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You don't have to stockpile for both calibers. If your concern is having enough ammo for when the UN/zombies/smurfs attack, stockpile that caliber for which you have a shtf type pistol, or whatever you call it. Having a second or third caliber does not mean you need thousands of rounds for all calibers, but, as you point out, it does give you flexibility if certain calibers are hard to find.

I found at one time that I had firearms in 26 common calibers and gauges, but I assure you I had way more 9mm ammo than .32 S&W or .25 acp.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm still trying to find a nice balance. I'm invested in .38 and .40 (and .22LR, I guess) for handguns right now. Rather than pick up yet another caliber, I'm considering dropping .40 and picking up 9mm.

Same reasons you quoted, OP. Cost, availability, and just enough diversity.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I recently picked up a 45, but I typically use 9mm, and have a decent stash of ammo in that caliber. Is it better to diversify, or to streamline my kit for one type of ammo?

Pro: If availability of one caliber runs dry, I have another option.
    Con: I would have to stockpile twice as much ammmo.

Money is an issue, stopping power is not.

What does INGO think?

Why would you have to stockpile twice as much? Keep what you normally would for one, the primary gun you shoot most, and a small stash for the other. So maybe stockpile 1.2x as much ammo. E.g. you normally keep 1000rds of 9mm on hand, just add 1-200 of 45 as funds become available. There's no rule saying you must keep equal amounts of each.

If you've already got the 45, why worry about it now? It's basically a sunk cost at this point. Keep it, shoot it when a good deal on 45 rolls around. Otherwise, keep/shoot the 9mm like you would have if you hadn't picked up the 45.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Why would you have to stockpile twice as much? Keep what you normally would for one, the primary gun you shoot most, and a small stash for the other. So maybe stockpile 1.2x as much ammo. E.g. you normally keep 1000rds of 9mm on hand, just add 1-200 of 45 as funds become available. There's no rule saying you must keep equal amounts of each.

Good points made here, but I don't really have a 'primary shooter' right now. Up until a few days ago, my 9mm was my only handgun, and thus, my 'default shooter'. The problem with stocking ammo, for me, is that I never think I have enough. If I keep the 45, I'll probably have the same inclination for both calibers.

If you've already got the 45, why worry about it now? It's basically a sunk cost at this point. Keep it, shoot it when a good deal on 45 rolls around. Otherwise, keep/shoot the 9mm like you would have if you hadn't picked up the 45.

I bought the 45 used, so I could sell/trade it without losing too much money. I should have thought about this aspect before I bought it. I was looking for an upgrade from my humble HiPoint C9, and a good deal was presented to me. Impulsive? A little. :n00b:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I got out of the .40 game myself. Down to 9mm and .357 mag. Reloading 9mm, but still have a lot of factory loaded .357 magnum. I shoot a lot of 9mm, not so much .357 mag, as 9mm is my EDC.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lets see, I have handguns in 22, 25, 380, 38 Spl, 9mm 44Mag, 45 Auto, and 45 LC.

If I kept thousands of rounds for all of them on hand, not only would I be broke, but single. I keep a comfortable amount on hand for all of them, but being as 9mm the least expensive major SD cambering we have, we tend to keep more of it on hand than anything else. Also consider that 9mm is lighter than other full sized hangun rounds, so if SHTF is a concern, it will be easier to move the same amount of 9mm vs, 40 or 45.

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    9mm will be a bit cheaper if that's a big part of this. other then that i like to shoot different guns at times. If you find yourself shooting the 45 more then stock a bit more ammo for that then.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For $400 you can have 10,000 rounds of .22, maybe cheaper.

As long as you dont buy @ Gander Mountain, lol!
    Was in the Castelton store today, browsing, and they had a KILLER deal on CCI 22LR, $119 for 1600Rds in a ammo can:scratch: A quick look around their shelves, and it was obvious that buying it in 100 rd boxes was considerably cheaper.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    ammo shortage caused me to rethink....

A few years ago I had all 9mm pistols. Then the "big ammo shortage" hit - and I couldn't find 9mm at my local store. I had a small stock of ammo, but not enough to go to the shooting range to burn up any for fun. That experience prompted me to do two things: I diversified my handgun collection to give me more options, and I started my reloading hobby.

I traded one of my 9mm pistols for the same model in .40S&W. That caliber was always available at the store and only a few dollars more per box of 50. I do not jeep a large stock of .40 ammo on hand, and that pistol does not get as much range time as my 9's, but it is there in case we run into another ammo shortage.

Rumors are flying as we near another Presidential election, and I know that most of it (in my opinion) is hype and paranoia, but I can see another wave of 9mm horders approaching. It looks like a good time to keep your ammo options open.

Just my $.02.
    ---
    GB!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have more 1911s than anything else, so I've gone from .357/38, & .45 down to just only doing .45. In fact, I even sold my Dan Wesson CTG to partially finance another 1911. (It's a sickness. Don't judge me.)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have always tried to standardize with 9mm. My uncle has a neat plan. He uses .40 cal, but keeps a .45 in his car in case the situatin escalates. Me, I think 9mm is plenty sufficient for all occasions. I'm more worried about accuracy, and number of rounds in the mag, than how big the hole is in a dead mans chest. The lower recoil of 9mm means more accuracy for me hands down. Plus, the ammo is obviously cheaper for 9mm, and that's probably not because .40 cal costs so much more to make, but because of supply and demand--the police use up so much .40 cal, which they think they need to outgun criminals using 9mm, or to have more knockdown power, which I consider irrelevant. Head shots for me are much easier with 9mm, as is the double tap!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have more 1911s than anything else, so I've gone from .357/38, & .45 down to just only doing .45. In fact, I even sold my Dan Wesson CTG to partially finance another 1911. (It's a sickness. Don't judge me.)

Its not a sickness, its a sign of good taste:yesway:
    You know, they do make 1911s in 9mm too (even a 357 version of it out there) if you were of an inclination to diversify your ammo locker.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    they do make 1911s in 9mm too (even a 357 version of it out there) if you were of an inclination to diversify your ammo locker.

I'm aware. But having fired many a caliber from a 1911 platform, .45 is my favorite.
    (.40 & 9mm from EMP, Super 38 in a Colt, 10mm in an EAA Witness, and .22 from the GSG :D ...Never fired .357, though. I wasn't even aware they existed. I'm kind of surprised... it would seem as if the length/dimension of the cases would change the standard 1911 grip, or else cause binding and feed issues :dunno:. You got one? And can I try it? :D )

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Coonan - Welcome to Coonan!

It is a modified design to make everything fit, but its heritage is obvious. Unfortunately its a bit rich for my blood. I have tried other calibers in the 1911, and I agree, 45 ACP is my favorite as well. I did find that I like the Hi-power as a 9mm substitute though, it feels about like a commander size 1911 to me.

Top Bottom