• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    How could even the most uber situation-ally aware carrier avoid the obvious threat from behind when standing in line at the convenient store?

When I am in line I turn my strong side to the person in front of me and constantly switch positions. I have never liked people being behind me and it's really no different when you OC. Another thing you can do is wear your gun very high so your elbow can touch it at all times and crook your arm to lock it in place.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I am in line I turn my strong side to the person in front of me and constantly switch positions. I have never liked people being behind me and it's really no different when you OC. Another thing you can do is wear your gun very high so your elbow can touch it at all times and crook your arm to lock it in place.

I don't mean to be critical, but you are saying that these techniques negate the threat from behind while standing in line, right?

What happens when you are tasked to focus on other issues than the person behind? Payment for goods, the clerk at the counter? The urinal and doing your business?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't mean to be critical, but you are saying that these techniques negate the threat from behind while standing in line, right?

What happens when you are tasked to focus on other issues than the person behind? Payment for goods, the clerk at the counter? The urinal and doing your business?

Only a fool thinks that you can negate risk. Its mitigated. It is called risk management. I am not invulnerable and neither is anyone else. But talking about tactics you use is helpful and I am giving advice that has proven helpful to me.

What do you do when you CC in line? The person behind you just assumes you are a sheep like everyone else in the store what keeps him from knocking you in the head and stealing your wallet?

How many criminals politely wait in line anyway?

"Damn, I was gunna rob that place but jus LOOK at dat line!"

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    If the attacker stole the OC'er's gun and ran, it's hard to imagine a motive other than attacking him specifically because the gun was on display. I wasn't there, of course, but I don't see another reasonable explanation.

Nobody can maintain sufficient situational awareness to guard against 100% of threats every single second that they are amongst people in public. There are hundreds of little distractions that people encounter every day.

Thats exactly why L.E. as a whole uses all the retention holsters now. And they are trained for weapon retention formally.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Thats exactly why L.E. as a whole uses all the retention holsters now. And they are trained for weapon retention formally.

They mostly use retention holsters because they wrestle with bad guys on a regular basis who don't want to go to jail and feel like they have nothing to lose.

I have been carrying openly for 3 years and I have YET to wrestle with any bad guys. How many cops can say that? Comparing cops and OCers just doesn't gel IMO.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    The point was how many cops do you see open carrying when off work?

And they are trained in weapon retention. So someone who carries a gun openly for an occupation and is trained in weapon retention usually every year but doesnt carry openly when off work.

But you dont see the wisdom in concealing? Of course its your choice.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

And they are trained in weapon retention. So someone who carries a gun openly for an occupation and is trained in weapon retention usually every year but doesnt carry openly when off work.

But you dont see the wisdom in concealing? Of course its your choice.

I see wisdom in carrying, period. There are good points of both types of carry and I try to utilize both to my advantage.

I know cops that don't carry at all off duty. So why do you as a civilian carry? They don't think its a good idea! How many cops are up on the latest laws anyway? I met four at a zoo once that didn't have a clue.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Just like anyone else, only those who have really considered the many pros and cons (beyond the usual myths and limited scenarios passed along as "common sense") and have come to their own conclusions despite the "wisdom" of others with their same occupation or level of training.

But there really are some who do.

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    Looking specifically at this situation, with no statistics, no interviews with criminals, no personal experience,... just applying logic based on observation... it's my opinion that this guy had a better chance to be alive today if he had CC'd instead of OC'd that day.

In my best Forrest Gump voice, "That's all I have to say about that."

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Looking specifically at this situation, with no statistics, no interviews with criminals, no personal experience,... just applying logic based on observation... it's my opinion that this guy had a better chance to be alive today if he had CC'd instead of OC'd that day.

Well, since he is dead, I guess changing most anything at all that day would give him a better chance than zero.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy

I don't agree with this. Maybe him choosing to OC instead of CC is what got his gun snatched from him. But him choosing to OC over CC did not lead to his death. Chasing after the person who just took his gun when he knew they were armed and he was not....that lead to him being killed.

Top Bottom