• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    In HB308, what locations are still prohibited?

Without going through the rest of the code I have no idea. But the bill appears to get rid of the prohibition on bars, churches, amusement parks, correctional facilities, hospitals and at "meetings of a govt entity". It also removes it from sporting events including high school ones. But I have no idea about school grounds in general. It may just apply to ones that are not on school grounds, such as the IN state championship games at Lucas. So a heck of an improvement but could possibly be better.

Here is the text of the bill.
    84(R) HB 308 - Introduced version - Bill Text

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In HB308, what locations are still prohibited?

ETA 1: I had an answer, but I think it was wrong... standby for news....

ETA 2: As far as I can tell at the moment, it pretty much eliminates nearly all statutory prohibitions on licensed concealed carry except where owners of private property have given "effective notice." I believe there are some other parts of the law that prohibit licensed concealed carry in the secure (but not public) areas of police stations, but I haven still to check that it was not affected.

It appears pretty much anyplace a peace officer can carry, a CHL holder can carry.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Handguns are for killing — people.

So, the San Antonio Express-News is in favor of disarming the police of their handguns?

This requires the kind of constant training given to sworn police officers

LOL.

But mostly these laws make no sense on a more basic level. They may make us less safe.

Objection, calls for a conclusion. And the evidence for this statement would be???

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    With any luck the big city papers in Texas, which are pretty much across the board anti-2A, will have their panties in such a wad about open carry that they will completely overlook HB308.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I thought the open carry suicide bombers killed the chances this year? Another Victory for Texas OC Activism | Shall Not Be Questioned

They seriously wounded it earlier in the year, but there was some quiet work in the legislature to repair the damage. So they decided to build an even bigger bomb. Open Carry Tarrant County invaded the capitol and was so obnoxious that even the head of Open Carry Texas got away from them (and the capitol now has panic buttons in every legislative office to summon security. It should be called the Kory button). Then OCTC and CATI (Come and Take It) targeted two of the most pro-2A senators in the Texas senate and accused them of being anti-gun because they support or introduced open carry by license holders.

OCT/OCTC/CATI have been following the "all or nothing" strategy, and they will succeed wildly -- they will get nothing, and screw both open carry supporters and 2A support in general. There have been almost a dozen OC bills introduced this year, and now I doubt any of them will make it out of committee. OCTC took a halfway decent opportunity to get it done, and stomped on it.

The silver lining at the moment is that so far I hear the legislators are not tying all gun bills to the bomb-throwers, so there is still strong support for campus carry and removing many other restrictions on carrying a handgun in general.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Then OCTC and CATI (Come and Take It) targeted two of the most pro-2A senators in the Texas senate and accused them of being anti-gun because they support or introduced open carry by license holders.

OCT/OCTC/CATI have been following the "all or nothing" strategy, and they will succeed wildly -- they will get nothing, and screw both open carry supporters and 2A support in general.

Just curious, but what are their screen names on INGO?

Yeah, your suicide bombers are out of control. Someone needs to sit down with them with a white board and sock puppets and teach them how to behave.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Just curious, but what are their screen names on INGO?

Yeah, your suicide bombers are out of control. Someone needs to sit down with them with a white board and sock puppets and teach them how to behave.
    Like Ive said before, there's right ways and wrong ways to protest and they're deffiantly wrong.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe I was mistaken? I caught a bit of Dana's radio show this afternoon. She was complaining that the Texas OC bill was not making it out of committee? She also mentioned that the Texas was on a path to approve campus carry soon?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Maybe I was mistaken? I caught a bit of Dana's radio show this afternoon. She was complaining that the Texas OC bill was not making it out of committee? She also mentioned that the Texas was on a path to approve campus carry soon?

The Leg has just begun, I don't think anything has made it out of committee yet. There's about a dozen OC bills of various forms. Certainly the unlicensed carry ones are already dead. There are (at least) two licensed carry bills that may still have a breath of life...or maybe it's just agonal respirations.

Campus carry... I didn't see the Dana show, but I am guessing that they were talking about how 19 Senators are co-authors (not just sponsors) of the bill, so it will certainly pass the Senate. But it passed the Senate last time too, that's not really the problem. The key is how the Speaker of the House and the head of the house committee where the bill ends up will treat it. Last Legislature it appeared that if campus carry came to a floor vote in the house, it would pass...but it never made it out of committee. The committee chairs decided which bills get voted on in committee, and if they want to kill it, they just don't let it vote. If the committee chairs want to keep their jobs, they also listen when the Speaker whispers in their ears that certain bills should not proceed. Therefore a lot of 2A supporters do not like the current speaker, Joe Strauss. We did get some good gun bills through, he is not totally anti-2A, but he has other priorities as well, and it appears the support of the university/college administrative crowd and their allies in the Leg are important to him as well.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ....but he has other priorities as well, and it appears the support of the university/college administrative crowd and their allies in the Leg are important to him as well.

This is not surprising. The crooked and disgusting way the PUF was designed and is administered is horrific.

Top Bottom