• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As some of you know, I have been in the processes of opening my own Gun Store. If you haven't known, you do now!

Here's my biggest dilemma. I'm starting with a dollar and a dream. Now, I'm not asking for money, but moreover, I'm looking for expertise and knowledge from anyone who's ever owned, ran, or worked in a Gun store. I've been doing my own research but either my Google-fu is weak or there just isn't a whole lot out there on it.

If anyone has any information about grants and loans, I'd happily take any advice you could give me!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Money is the number one reason gun shops cant keep customers.

People may stop by once or twice, when they figure out you dont have any stock they will quit coming.

To save your time and energy, dont open your doors until you have this squared away.

You only get one chance at making a first impression.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I'm sure you are aware that you won't make much selling firearms and most of your income will come from accessories.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I kinda figured that not having stock would be a big issue. I'll be doing transfers, some custom AR packages, and doing some Training classes to start. I have experience as a pistol trainer from the Army. As I get some more capital, then I'll expand out.

I really wanted to keep my shop to the South Side/Greenwood area, but if the Northside has opportunity, I won't say no!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    No openings for a while, I'm afraid. I'll have to keep my overhead non-existent to low for the first while, as I will be doing this as a full-time gig. I have mouths to feed.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Yeah, and Northeast side has IndyGunSafety which does the same stuff (training, transfers, and he has some in stock) and Randy is really good.

Not trying to kill your thread, but you would have some competition on North side too.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    and Elmores

I had a really bad experience in there once. ONCE.

Went in about nine years ago with my Army jacket on, started perusing because I was contemplating my first AR purchase... and the dirtball behind the counter said, "Something I can help you with, boy?"

Granted, I was young. Nineteen to be exact... but that was a sheer sign of disrespect. I looked up at him and kind of scowled, saying, "Nope. I'm good." Walked out of the store and haven't been back since.

Every person that walks through your door has a potential to become a lifelong customer. You cater to THEIR needs, because they came to you to give you an opportunity to do so. Don't misuse their preemptive trust.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I had a really bad experience in there once. ONCE.

Went in about nine years ago with my Army jacket on, started perusing because I was contemplating my first AR purchase... and the dirtball behind the counter said, "Something I can help you with, boy?"

Granted, I was young. Nineteen to be exact... but that was a sheer sign of disrespect. I looked up at him and kind of scowled, saying, "Nope. I'm good." Walked out of the store and haven't been back since.

Every person that walks through your door has a potential to become a lifelong customer. You cater to THEIR needs, because they came to you to give you an opportunity to do so. Don't misuse their preemptive trust.

Bob at Plainfield shooting calls me son every time I walk through the door....:D

Patti and Ron call me jackass.

The guys at Elmores call me Jason.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Bob at Plainfield shooting calls me son every time I walk through the door....:D

Patti and Ron call me jackass.

The guys at Elmores call me Jason.

Son would have been okay. I could live with that.

Jackass would have been permissible had I known the crew or at least been in there a couple of times and bull crapped with them.

I was going for the default "Sir". I know, I work for a living and my Dad isn't in this thread (yet), but still... At least get your customer's money in hand before smack talking!

That kind of thing just turned me off. I haven't been back and won't go back. Pity, they had a lot of REALLY nice stuff on the wall.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    and Elmores
    hey now, south side also has a store called TSG!

silent, if you are looking for advice, contact Ron at tacticalshotgunners, I sure he would help you in anyway. He also goes by gungo_1989 on here also.

also if you are looking for a store front location, The McCordsville/Fortville area is the area I'd look into!

Top Bottom