• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    My wife and I want redundant handguns. We want the benefits of savings from same ammo, parts, and ease of shooting. We could grab either gun and be comfortable. I currently have Taurus 9mm but is rather large to carry every day. And we only have one.

Looking for opinions on what we should start looking at as there are many, many options. Range time and renting inexpensive so we would like to narrow down a few options.

Features we want or think we want.

Everyday carry, and conceal. To-from work, when we go out, etc. We may get something else for around the house.
    We are not brand loyal, yet.
    We are not specific on caliber, but wanting standard, no unique calibers. We want to find ammo easily and affordably.
    She is a rated kickboxer so has upper body strength and can handle just about anything that she has shot to date.
    Economical, we are not made of money.
    Standard parts available. If for some reason something needs to be replaced we want to be able to find them easily and readily available.
    To date not sold on revolvers, but if there is a strong opinion may consider.
    Any help that is offered would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rick

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The standard M&P 9 or 40 is a good all around choice.

1. It is lighter than most comparable 4" barreled guns
    2. Has a bit smaller grip than the XD or the Glock
    3. Can be used for target shooting at the range
    4. Popular gun so mags and accesories would be readily available

I am not a big fan of pocket pistols for main EDC gun for anyone. The 4" barrel model is small enough to carry easily but not too small to enjoy going to the range with.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    For universal parts, I would think a 1911 would be a logical choice.
    A good revolver would also make a good choice but if you dont like them, I'm not gonna try and change your mind.
    All ammo is relatively inexpensive. I mean seriously. If a caliber is too expensive or becomes too expensive, learn to reload.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'd look to Glock, S&W M&P series, Ruger SR-series or the Springfield XD/m series of pistols. The Glocks will be the easiest to find everything for, from holsters to magazines to spare parts, every store selling shooting gear will have stuff for Glocks. The others are in a race for 2nd with Smith probably having the edge over the other 2.

With all 4 of those manufacturers, each line has an internal synergy inside it's own caliber...for example the full-size Glock 9mm, the model 17, is essentially the same gun as the larger, competition-oriented model 34 and the smaller compact and sub-compact models, the 19 and 26 respectively. The magazines and nearly every holster made for the larger Glocks will work with the smaller-sized Glocks. it would make a new purchase easier to justify because you aren't looking to an entire family of guns...all your current magazines and holsters will work just fine if you opt to buy the smaller-sized version of your current gun.

If the Glocks don't fit then the M&P line from Smith and Wesson is another fantastic choice. Not as many sizes available as from Glock, but they are as well-built and reliable as the Glock and the Smith is on average much less expensive than a comparable-model of Glock. The M&P does have models available with external thumb safety levers, they have ambidextrous controls and the changeable grip inserts on the M&P make them the most customizable pistols straight out of the box. The M&P line is currently my favorite of all the polymer-framed guns.

The Ruger SR-Series of autos, the SR9/9C and SR40/40C, are much like the M&Ps where they only have 2 models per caliber available but no SR-series auto available in .45 ACP. Very well built, very reliable and a very good trigger; Ruger also has one of the best customer service departments in the business on the off-chance something needs to be addressed.

Springfield's XD/m line is very similar to the Glock line of autos, but with a different overall feel. They have a competition-geared version, a standard version and a compact model for all the major calibers.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    But, what works well for you, may not work well for your wife. You both need to shoot a variety of weapons to see what works for you. Don't pick your wifes weapon, let her do it.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I wasn't planning on picking for her, we were just looking for models to narrow down so that when we do go and try a few out we can narrow down a few to start with. We could start at one end of the case and try every one, but looking for more seasoned people to give us some good pieces to start with.

If we both find one we like great. If not we keep looking.

Maybe us agreeing on the same gun is a fantasy, but was a good place to start.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I wasn't planning on picking for her, we were just looking for models to narrow down so that when we do go and try a few out we can narrow down a few to start with. We could start at one end of the case and try every one, but looking for more seasoned people to give us some good pieces to start with.

If we both find one we like great. If not we keep looking.

Maybe us agreeing on the same gun is a fantasy, but was a good place to start.

I know this plan would never have worked for me and my wife. The intent is good but the reality might be harsh. You have to consider grip size, tolerance to recoil, etc. I cant decide for you but would really think shooting a wide variety of different pistols might be insightful.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Pretty tough to go too far wrong with 9mm glocks. Especially the G26 and G19 models, provided that you both find them comfortable to shoot. I like the fact that the mags work with multiple models. Again, it's a very personal and subjective choice, but I'd definitely try the Glocks and see if you both like them.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Pretty tough to go too far wrong with 9mm glocks. Especially the G26 and G19 models, provided that you both find them comfortable to shoot. I like the fact that the mags work with multiple models. Again, it's a very personal and subjective choice, but I'd definitely try the Glocks and see if you both like them.

:yesway: Darn. you beat me to it by 33 minutes.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    IMHO a G-19 would be hard to beat given the parameters you cited. If you give us an idea of where you are located someone might be willing to let you try one.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I would recommend spending some quality time together either at a gun store or possibly at the upcoming Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show. The latter option will cost some money, but you can't beat it for seeing and handling everything out there.

Since you want it to be be easy to get parts/upgrades for, I would stick to the major brands- Glocks (accessories are everywhere), Springfield XD line, S&W M&P line, Beretta, and Ruger SR series (somewhat cheaper and very solid). A couple of cheaper alternatives (with somewhat mixed reputations) are Taurus and Keltec.

The first step is to handle as many as you can. It is questionable that you will find a gun that feels great to both of you, but possible. Instead, you might find two similar guns that you two like such as a Glock 17/19 combo or a Ruger SR9/SR9c combo that can share ammo, mags and many accessories. In that case, the other's gun wouldn't be ideal, but would be very similar and you would be comfortable using either one if necessary.

Once you narrow it down to a small number of options based strictly on feel, then you should really try to find ways to test fire before committing many hundreds of dollars for a pair of firearms. You might rent or even ask on this board for someone that will allow you to test theirs. That is frequently successful here.

Finally, given that you are interested in semi-autos and a common caliber you might want to consider limiting yourself to 9mm, .40, and/or .45s. .380s are a considered a marginal caliber for self defense, but are common in smaller guns and other calibers like .357sig and 10mm aren't terribly common.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    She can have purple flowers. I didn't say they had to look alike...

We are actually taking all of your recommendations to the gun store this weekend and at least pick them up and handle. We have the baby with us so probably no test firing just yet. 18 mo not quite ready yet. However we just bartered a bushmaster m4 and as soon as I opened the case the 4 year old boy asked if it was for him.

We will be acquiring a Glock 22 soon in another barter deal. And can't wait to try them both out.

I really appreciate all the advice given. We won't know until we shoot each model and style but this gives us some good starting places.

Glad to finally join this group. Already found it worthwhile.

We are on the Southside.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Glock 26 for your waistband, ruger lcp for your pocket! Both loaded with hornady critical defense, speer gold dot, or federal HST.

Make sure you get these for the 26 http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

As for holsters I highly suggest this for the 26 http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/1k.htm and this for the lcp http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...xtrous-kel-tec-p32-p3at-ruger-lcp-nylon-black

Cant go wrong with those IMHO!

Good luck on your decision. In the end you need to get what works for you. I'm happy to provide what works for me ;)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If you find you like the Glock 22 looking at the Glock 23, the compact .40 cal version of the G22, would be a good place to start. Keep us posted on how things are progressing!

GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Glock 26 or Ruger SR9c makes the most sense to me in your situation. The Glock has the most accessories and it shoots like a dream. It's my favorite duty CCW around in a double stack handgun. You probably won't need many spare parts for a Glock or Ruger unless you shoot like a lot (highly unlikely) but they do exist on the internet.

Top Bottom