• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    A friend of mine is looking to upgrade his AK 47. He wants to mount an EoTech but doesn't want to go with the dust cover mount. He wants a mount that attaches to the side of the receiver. Can anyone recommend a solid one to use? Also, is this something that needs to be done by a gunsmith, or is it an easy install?

I figured someone here would have the answer, since my advice was to just buy an AR. :D

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I personally wouldn't use an eotech on an AK and especially on a side mount as they sit up too high. Your options are a side mount from kalinka optics or similar. You could also do an ultimak rail on the gas tube, but i wouldn't trust an eotech with the heat.

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    Is there anyone who makes a railed dust cover that won't shift under recoil? I think he has tried one, not sure of the quality, and was unimpressed.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I personally wouldn't use an eotech on an AK and especially on a side mount as they sit up too high. Your options are a side mount from kalinka optics or similar. You could also do an ultimak rail on the gas tube, but i wouldn't trust an eotech with the heat.

I have an Eotech, never really abused it on a gun, but does it have issues with heat from the gas tube?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Is there anyone who makes a railed dust cover that won't shift under recoil? I think he has tried one, not sure of the quality, and was unimpressed.

Here are your options for dust coverish mounting.

TWS gen2

TWSgen2small.jpg

Parabellum armament
    AKARS%20web.jpg

Here are your options for a more polish beryl rail style

TWS gen 1

5442525004_e5c50760a4.jpg

Krebs

500px-KrebsKTR08.jpg

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    +1 For parrabellum armament. They are some great guys and they make a good product. The top rails cover is a tight fit and doesnt shift, plus it "hinges" at the rear sight to keep things close/on zero.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    There's an AK dvd out from the Panteao where the owner of Rifle Dynamics goes on for a little while about how much he loves the Dog Leg system. I took that as a pretty solid endorsement. I have the Midwest Industries quad-rail handguard and it seems solid as a rock, though I know that's not what your friend is looking for.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    bp02 bp01

Funny no one mentions a bp02 low mount or the bp01 high mount

Spec and if mounted correctly they dont walk.
    Where to find em, gotta look around.

bpo2_500.jpg

[SIZE=-2]BP-02C Type: low side mount Top rail: standard Weaver Finish: matte black Rail Length: 140mm Weight: 325g [/SIZE]​

BP-02C​
    [SIZE=-1]BP-02C is the latest "low-mount" design and has several improved features that make it the best of it's type we have ever seen. The new mount has a more accurate rail bed which positions the scope more precisely and directly above the bore centerline. Furthermore, the throw lever now includes a positive latching detent tab design that will securely lock the sight onto the rifle while allowing the throw lever to be completely flat against the bracket base. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]The BP-series of mounts fits the standard side mounted rail system of Russian designed weapons. They use a fully adjustable clamp design which allows easy fitment with the proper tension on rail designs with various manufacturing variations and tolerances. This means a trouble-free fit on all known types of Kalashnikov rifles. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=-1]
    bpo1_500.jpg
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=-1]
    [SIZE=-2]BP-01 Type: high side mount Top rail: standard Weaver Finish: matte black Rail Length: 108mm Weight: 330g [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

BP-01
    [SIZE=-1]BP-01 (MTK83) is the standard high mount version which features a 108mm long Weaver rail and a height which allows the use of the iron sights even while the sight/scope is installed on your rifle. It is about 20mm taller than the BP-02 version. We now have both the high mount BP01 and the low mount upgrade BP02A optics mounting brackets, which enable you to mount Weaver and Picatinny pattern optical devices (directly or with rings) on both Kalashnikov and Dragunov rifles which have standard Soviet-style side mounting rails. The Weaver/Picatinny rail will position your optic above the weapon's receiver cover. This enables the use of most domestic and foreign made scopes and sights using rings designed to fit the standard Weaver top-mounted rail. [/SIZE]​

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like the eccentric style mounts. Kalinka's rock as well as RS Regulate. I like a lower sight picture, so I would recommend going with something other than the Eotech. The again, those Ruskies sure don't mind an optic sitting up high.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As tradertater alluded to, RS Regulate is coming out with a super-low side mount which is supposed to be lighter and stronger than the BP models. Not sure if it's in production yet.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Top Bottom