• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    When Jenn and I realized that we were being given a gift, and then the magnitude of the gift, we were speechless. It took a few hours for the reality of it to set in. Even now, many weeks later, as I consider the personal generosity of so many of my INGO friends, I am humbled. “Thank you” seems inadequate to convey the way Jenn and I feel. However, a sincere and deeply felt “thank you” is the best we can offer. :)

After receiving your gift, Jenn and I had several conversations about how best to use it. We started out talking about possible travel ideas. Then, as December wore on, our thoughts took a dramatic shift due to a change at home and to the realization that there is something we could do that would make both of us very happy for a long time.

In December, our daughter moved out of our basement into her own apartment. This left us with a problem. Our daughter had three cats living with her. One in particular had repeatedly urinated in a few places in the basement. [We had already removed some carpet, chasing the odor problem. Now we had partial carpeting and had exposed some ugly concrete and tile floors.] But we didn’t have the finances to renovate the area.

During this same timeframe, Jenn was becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of adequate storage for her many craft items and raw materials as well as too little general storage in the house. She also didn’t have nearly enough workspace for the actual crafting activity, and this increased her dissatisfaction and frustration.

It was at this point that we realized that using the INGO gift to remodel the basement would be the very best way to use this unexpected blessing. Yes, a vacation was temping, but this use will provide more satisfaction and lasting enjoyment for us.

Since after Christmas, we have been pulling up the rest of the carpet, sweeping, mopping, and planning this new space. We decided to take out two small closets to enlarge Jenn ‘s photography studio; so we’ve torn down drywall and demolished walls! (Now I need to find someone who is good at patching drywall.)

There will be a large room for Jenn’s crafting and our computers. With this space, she will have the room to do her craft work and have space for her tools without having to put one tool away to create a spot for the next one. She will have a larger studio with newly painted walls. The third room is being turned into a storage room to solve our house-wide storage issue. All these areas will be getting new carpet in a couple of weeks! The INGO gift along with some Christmas money will pay for the improvements.

The INGO gift isn’t just buying carpeting; it is providing a solution to three on-going problems we were having and had no money to solve. We will enjoy these changes on a daily basis! :rockwoot:

One specific word of thanks we want to offer. Any good idea takes work to implement. Scutter01 and Spasmo provided the leadership and effort to bring this about. We want to thank them for the time and energy they gave to make this gift possible.

INGO has been the avenue through which we have made many wonderful friendships. It is our hope that we are able to continue to host many current and future INGO members at our property for years to come.

It is our prayer that God will bless each of you for the kindness you have shown to us!

Dave and Jenn Rice

(p.s. Jenn said she will be taking a few pictures along the way and sharing them with you so you can enjoy the changes with us!)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Dave,

I know that we were torn over what kind of gift with which to present you. One of the suggestions was for a home improvement project, but we couldn't come to a consensus on the best way to approach it, so the idea was tabled. I think not a single person involved will mind that you've repurposed the gift to something that suits your needs better than a trip. I, for one, am thrilled that we could give you just what you needed at just the right time and I know we all look forward to seeing the results of the remodeling project.

To everyone else,

We'll keep the Project forum up for a bit longer, but now that the "cat's out of the bag", we'll probably move some of the content to the Break Room, so if you can't find it here, look there.

Thanks again for your support!
    :ingo:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I am excited that you're able to use it to improve your home. We can't thank you enough for you having opened your home to us, complete strangers, repetitively to enjoy our hobby and learn more about it. That first NFA day has had a tremendous effect on me and I am very glad that I had the experience and been fortunate enough to be invited back. The hospitality you offer is matchless. I can't wait to see some pictures of the remodeled basement.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thank you Dave for everything you, Jenn and the family have done for INGO. I hope you enjoy this new space for years to come! :ingo:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Can you manage to work a moose into the project?

I'm happy that you guys found a way to use our expression of gratitude in a way that will benefit you every day. I'm pretty sure that was what we all wanted from the start. Enjoy!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    First Update from Mrs. lovemywoods

Hi friends,

Dave and I are so pleased to be able to do this basement project. I thought as a small thank you from us, I would give you updates on our progress.

Let me tell you a little bit about the layout of the basement. The main area used to be like a family room, with a couch and TV, etc. One bedroom had been converted to a photo studio, where I do portrait work. The other bedroom was Kelly's [KR_Treefrog2] when she lived here. There was Berber carpeting throughout. Even before Kelly left, we had had to remove a good bit of the carpeting because of her cats, thinking we could just paint the concrete floor until we did have funding to do anything more. But there were ugly surprises under the carpeting, like blue vinyl squares. When we took those up there was a layer of still-sticky, uneven adhesive. So much for painting the floor!

Anyway, here are some photos. The first one is a poorly-done composite of what Kelly's room had looked like, with her bed lofted to give her more space underneath.

2br0vd.jpg

The second picture is what it looks like for the moment; the carpeting has been taken up, as well as the vinyl squares. You can see the leftover adhesive; it will suck your house slippers off! The wall has patched areas from the lofted bed, but they're painted now. This will be used for storage, which we badly need, as there are few closets in the house.

k18hf.jpg

The third picture and fourth pictures will almost seem backwards, because the "before" picture looks better than the "after". It's the stairs leading to the basement, with and without the Berber carpeting. Dave discovered 4 stair treads that need repair, and that's what he's working on tonight.

r1es2d.jpg

tafy28.jpg

So that's it for now. More later on some of the furniture I bought to hold my craft supplies. I bought them for a great price and am repainting 3 pieces. See you soon!

Jenn (Mrs. lovemywoods)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Dave,
    Though I have limited time, I'd be happy to help with the drywall patching that needs to be done. At the very least, I could get you started and show you a few tricks that I've learned to help you finish it yourself.

Regards,

Steve

PS: Jasper the cat is doing well.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Wow, you haven't been wasting any time. Glad you're able to redo the basement to make more room for yourselves. :rockwoot:

I don't think any of us can ever really thank you two enough for all the events you host every year. Just glad we could help a little bit.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've never been out to lovemywoods range, but after seeing all the pictures and AAR's, I'd say there isn't anyone here more deserving of this. Way to go everyone who was involved.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For those of you just now reading this, let me give you some background on this project.

Back in October several members of the Staff (mainly Scutter01) pitched an idea to raise some funds as a way of saying "Thank You" to lovemywoods and Mrs. lovemywoods for their hosting efforts over the last 4 years.

Because lovemywoods is a Mod, we had to take special measures to keep this a secret. So we set up a "private" forum that could only be seen by members who had previously been to lovemywoods' place (about 100 members). We codenamed the effort "Project Snapdragon".

The original PM sent to those members can now be seen here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1-recognition_for_mr_and_mrs_lovemywoods.html

The fund raising effort was a smashing success, with over $2,500 raised! INGOers are truely one-of-a-kind!

We presented the gift to lovemywoods and Mrs. lovemywoods at the INGO Staff Christmas party. Their reaction was priceless and we caught it on film!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s_a_success_now_with_video_of_the_reveal.html

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1XBA0WG5uQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Now that the cat's out of the bag and they have decided how they are using the funds, the "private" threads have been moved here to the Break Room.

I'm looking forward to seeing the periodic updates!!

Top Bottom