• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A kilt will never wear out at the knees.:): A garbage bag makes a great raincoat.

Seriously? You guys are putting a lot of thought into this? You will have what you have. A needle and thread to patch them up might be useful.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I used to go through a pair of jeans about once every three months. they normally cost between 30-50 dollars. Now I wait for sales, or watch the clearance wrack for my size at tractor supply. I can normally pick up a pair of jeans for around 7 bucks, and the first pair I bought when I found them is going on two years and holding up.

If you can't find your fancy camo stuff for 7 bucks a pair, buy these, and some rit die, and sewing supplies, and these jeans should last a very very long time.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think what everybody is forgetting is that dirt, I mean real dirt, cuts the fibers of clothing and wears it out very quickly. It doesn't matter whose label is on it.

In non-shtf, the laundry fairy makes sure I have clean clothes every week. And it usually lasts a good long time because of regular maintenance.

That regular maintenance may not be available unless you count cleaning your clothes against a rock at a stream.

There is a reason why tanned leather was popular for the mountain men of the 1820's was because they could put it on and it got better with age and use. So for long term, low maintenance, I would look into leather.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    thanks for the input guys. I wear out jeans fast so I wasn't even considering any thing like a walmart pair of pants. and I know that when things happen I will have what I have and that's why im making sure what myself and my family has is going to last now not later. it may not last forever but it will maybe get us through until we can get to a better situation. the same goes for the rest of what we have. I would rather pay attention to those details now and not wish I had a good pair of boots or a good pair of pants later

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thanks for the input guys. I wear out jeans fast so I wasn't even considering any thing like a walmart pair of pants. and I know that when things happen I will have what I have and that's why im making sure what myself and my family has is going to last now not later. it may not last forever but it will maybe get us through until we can get to a better situation. the same goes for the rest of what we have. I would rather pay attention to those details now and not wish I had a good pair of boots or a good pair of pants later

I would give the 7 dollar pair of jeans from TSC a try... they are literally twice as thick as the "designer" jeans. And the belt loops actually hold up as well.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I recently switched to Wrangler relaxed fit from Target. $16.99 a pair, best pair of jeans I've ever owned. For a non-jeans situation, synthetic fibers are the way to go, or heavy weatherproofed canvas.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Riggs Wear by wrangled. Ranger jeans. I'm afraid they'll quit making them. They're that good.
    I am a big fan of the Riggs pants. They come in both the carpenter pants and they can be had in cargo, though I have never seen them in cargo. They are comfortable. Also check out FieldSupply.com and subscribe to their emails. They have some killer deals from time to time.

Also, LAPoliceGear.com has some good deals on their branded pants.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    When I was working outside in construction I along with a lot of other guys worked in Carhartt stuff. They make insulated and non insulated stuff. You can get a pair of their insulated coveralls for around $120 and they will last for years. Under them I wore a hoody and jeans. When it really got cold, below 0 I would add a barn coat and ski mask.

In warm weather I would work in Carhartt work pants. They didn't cost much more than jeans and lasted twice as long. They cost around $40. a pair. Now when you first put them on they are stiff but a couple washings and working in them they become soft and very comfortable.

Because I had them I hunted and camped in them. I have never had a problem with them holding up or becoming a problem. I have to add they are not light weight.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    As someone said, you'll go with what you have. I have tons of old BDUs and ACUs from my military days salted away.
    I even kept some of the ones from when my waistline was a bit smaller just in case I eventually shrank it back down to that size again
    I keep a pair of OD green Proppers in my BOB.
    Close enough to BDUs without the attention that a military pattern might attract

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I have some Carhart 'Logger' jeans. Heaviest denim you can find, AND they have a double layer from about calf to waist. I bought them for riding motorcycle, instead of leather or kevlar jeans. They are great for the cold, but get really hot. And if you ever had a water rescue situation, then they would drag you down like a log!!

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    If anyone watches Wranglerstar on YouTube, he wears "tin" pants all winter. Looks like he wears the same pair nearly every day. He doesn't wear them in the summer do to being so thick and hot. Anyone ever hear of these pants?

Top Bottom