• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Does anyone fill out any paperwork when you sell a gun face to face to document the exchange? I would like to have something on file showing that gun manufactured by ____ with serial number ____ is now property of ____ with signatures by both parties, dated, and amount of money paid.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    As a purchaser of a few that way, I kind of appreciate not having such paperwork in existence, just cash & carry, but that's just me as one of the good guys. One of the good guys that prefers to stay armed.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Ask to see whatever you want to help you believe your buyer is a proper person (IN Driver's License, LTCH), then sell them the gun. There is no need for the paperwork. Why would you want to have such a record anyway? Just not necessary. Even if the gun is later used in a crime and records show that you were the original owner, that piece of paper doesn't do or prove any more than your word that you sold it. Such a bill of sale could so easily be forged that it's not worth the paper it's written on. Just look at their credentials and go on.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I ONLY do when they (the seller) requests a bill of sale. If they do, they do not keep any more information about me than I have of them. If they request to record your LTCH number, DL number, etc....then you should make 2 bills of sale and both should have BOTH of your identification numbers. In this day and age with identity theft, never give anyone any info that you don't have of them.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a buyer I agree with the above post, give what you get. As a seller I always like having the name and Drivers License #, so I can give the line, "well officer on such and such date the gun left my possession and became property of so and so, DL#........." I don't have any experience with past ownership of a firearms used in a crime, but I feel it would be beneficial for myself and the LEO to maintain this particular info when a gun leaves my possession.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Only under one condition (and it has to be off gut instinct) that I would ever document a sale on my behalf...
    And that's if the person I'm selling to has not obtained an LTCH.

I personally don't think it's necessary. I get your reasoning, but again... offering to flash each others LTCH is a great peace of mind for most,
    yet won't leave the other party in the deal wondering if they'd ever use their "swapped info" against them in the wrong.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I've bought 2 guns this way and was never asked for any ID,and the only thing I did was make sure our lic plates matched if one of those guys would have pulled up in a truck with ohio or michigan plates I would have asked to see ID.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I bought a Mosin from a member here. Once we decided on the deal, he asked to me my DL and my LTCH. I was happy to show it to him. He said thanks, I said thanks, we shook hands and we went our separate ways.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The only paper involved in a face to face transaction should have pictures of dead presidents on it.

True.

However, try to avoid actually mentioning "dead presidents" while transfering the firearms, especially if others are within hearing distance.

;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is why I got the lake to sign a form when I lost all my guns in a boating accident. "Lake XYZ took possession of the following firearms on 15 Aug 2011."

EDIT: I did verify the lake was a resident of Indiana.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For in-state private sales when I buy a gun if the seller wants a bill of sale then I will sign it.

When I sell a gun in a private sale I attempt to insure the person is an Indiana resident and is a proper person, and therefore qualified to actually own a weapon.

To do that I ask to see their Indiana driver's license. I don't hold it in my hand, I just want them to flash it to me long enough so that I can see it is them since it establishes their residency. I also ask for a LTCH to establish they are a 'proper person' within the eyes of the law. The LTCH is granted only to those citizens who the state considers a proper person.

I have no argument with anyone who chooses to bypass a deal because of my requirements. I have only sold a handful of guns in private sales during my lifetime, but I'm going to attempt to make sure that I sell to someone who is legally qualified to buy a gun.

35-47-1-7 Sec. 7. "Proper person" means a person who:
    (1) does not have a conviction for resisting law enforcement under IC 35-44-3-3
    within five (5) years before the person applies for a license or permit under this chapter; (2) does not have a conviction for a crime for which the person could have been
    sentenced for more than one (1) year;
    (3) does not have a conviction for a crime of domestic violence (as defined in
    IC 35-41-1-6.3), unless a court has restored the person's right to possess a firearm under IC 3-7-13-5;
    (4) is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a handgun;
    (5) does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser as defined in this chapter;
    (6) does not have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct;
    (7) does not make a false statement of material fact on the person's application;
    (8) does not have a conviction for any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun;
    (9) does not have a conviction for violation of the provisions of this article within five (5) years of the person's application; or
    (10) does not have an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person applying for a license or permit under this chapter is less than twenty-three (23) years of age.​
    http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Ask to see whatever you want to help you believe your buyer is a proper person (IN Driver's License, LTCH), then sell them the gun. There is no need for the paperwork. Why would you want to have such a record anyway? Just not necessary. Even if the gun is later used in a crime and records show that you were the original owner, that piece of paper doesn't do or prove any more than your word that you sold it. Such a bill of sale could so easily be forged that it's not worth the paper it's written on. Just look at their credentials and go on.

+ 1

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am so glad to see more people wanting paperwork to be done for private gun sales. It should be acceptable then to close that gun show loophole and require an FFL handle all transfers since everyone likes the idea of something official being done.

Top Bottom