• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see no evidence of your claim in this thread or anywhere else on INGO.

Please elaborate where you find proof for you claim. :popcorn:

We have thread after thread of people wanting to fill out bills of sale, securing DL info, LTCH evidence. There is even a template for a bill of sale available right now. If you hurry, you too can secure a copy. I just think as long as we are on this path, we may as well go all the way and really make a record of the transfer of ownership by using an FFL for all of them.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Ok I have to ask in what scenario will this piece of paper become of any real value.
    And GO!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We have thread after thread of people wanting to fill out bills of sale, securing DL info, LTCH evidence. There is even a template for a bill of sale available right now. If you hurry, you too can secure a copy. I just think as long as we are on this path, we may as well go all the way and really make a record of the transfer of ownership by using an FFL for all of them.

The so called evidence you cite is nothing new. From time to time on INGO we get some folks asking the same questions. This is not any evidence to show that there is any additional support for people wanting to document anything. Its the normal inquiries, nothing more. A couple threads are active. Go back a week, a month, 6 months or a year and you will likely find similar questions at any given time in similar quantities.

But you specifically wrote "...more people wanting paperwork to be done for private gun sales..." So I ask again, where is there any real evidence to show that there is new and additional support for people clambering for documentation?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The so called evidence you cite is nothing new. From time to time on INGO we get some folks asking the same questions. This is not any evidence to show that there is any additional support for people wanting to document anything. Its the normal inquiries, nothing more. A couple threads are active. Go back a week, a month, 6 months or a year and you will likely find similar questions at any given time in similar quantities.

But you specifically wrote "...more people wanting paperwork to be done for private gun sales..." So I ask again, where is there any real evidence to show that there is new and additional support for people clambering for documentation?

I have read those threads with great interest over the years and have seen a lot more people than I would have expected on a gun forum to seemingly support exchanging paperwork (bills of sale). I have argued for a long time that our (generically used as I do not believe in it and have clearly stated so on many occasions) stated willingness to do so, plays into the arguments made by the gun grabbers. The gun grabbers can quote supposed gun advocates from this board, stating the importance of getting a bill of sale with all kinds of identifying information and make the argument that even we recognize the importance of being able to show that the gun sold to melensdad has been transferred now to Scutter.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Can't go wrong ...

... by doing what the law says on this mater. Stay safe. CYOA. EBG
    Does anyone fill out any paperwork when you sell a gun face to face to document the exchange? I would like to have something on file showing that gun manufactured by ____ with serial number ____ is now property of ____ with signatures by both parties, dated, and amount of money paid.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    So without a receipt what is to prevent the seller from reporting that said firearm was stolen? Possibly a longshot, but I have had the occasion to deal with unscrupulous people before.

I have also heard of one or two instances of police confiscating a firearm for whatever reason and not returning it unless the individual could prove ownership. What would the individual do in that instance?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If I'm selling and they don't look 18 or they have out of state plates, I'll ask for verification.

If it shows up at a crime scene, meh... I sold it.

Wait, is it too late too claim it was stolen? I'll come pick that up after the court case. ;)

If I'm buying and they report it stolen, I'll track them down and burn their house.

No need for me to complicate things. :cool:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You live in Indiana and neither on of those ID's are required....................why do you require them :dunno:

I require it for 1) proof of residency because I must sell to another Hoosier if its a face-to-face and 2) proof that you are a proper person, which is what the LTCH gives a fairly reasonable assurance of.

Technically I don't need that, but then again, I don't have to sell a gun either. I do it for my own piece of mind and because I want to insure that gun is sold legally.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    If I'm buying and they report it stolen, I'll track them down and burn their house.

Nice in theory, but...

Seriously, I am much more worried as a buyer. Without a receipt, what keeps a seller from claiming it was stolen and collecting on a claim with their insurance? Or as my other scenario, what would compel the police to return said firearm?

I would want a receipt in a FTF transaction.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If I'm selling and they don't look 18 or they have out of state plates, I'll ask for verification.

If it shows up at a crime scene, meh... I sold it.

Wait, is it too late too claim it was stolen? I'll come pick that up after the court case. ;)

No need for me to complicate things. :cool:
    Didn't we have a thread here at one time that got someone's house burnt?! :popcorn:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Without a receipt, what keeps a seller from claiming it was stolen and collecting on a claim with their insurance?

Insurance fraud is a crime. The associated investigation, charges and penalties are probably the biggest deterrent.

Or as my other scenario, what would compel the police to return said firearm?

A lawsuit. I am not required to maintain any proof of ownership thus none can be lawfully demanded of me.

I would want a receipt in a FTF transaction.

You can have one if the other party agrees. :yesway:

Top Bottom