Parent taking pictures of license plates @ my wife's work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My wife came home from work today (daycare) and told me that her co-worker saw a parent taking pictures of the employee vehicle's license plates in the parking lot.

I can't think of any good reason he would need/want to do that, but she says he is involved in a custody battle (currently he's winning), yet it creeps me out that someone is possibly taking those pictures for some unknown reason.

Anyone know what reason he might have to take those pictures, what use they would be, and what I can do as a concerned husband without making my wife look bad?

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually it would be a 10-28..... Which is running a Lic Plate... A 10-27 is a Driver's Lic.

There was a crazy guy in Broad Ripple that would stand at a stoplight and photograph lic plates for hours each day.. Nothing illegal about it, creepy- maybe, but I suppose if we think about everyone who sees our lic plates every single day it really isn't that bad.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    What, exactly, are you afraid of?

I'm just wondering - I mean... If you're concerned remove your plate when you park on private property and put it inside the vehicle or take it with you?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's creepy when one citizen does it, but (almost) no one cares when the gov't does it.

Bingo! But I do care. FYI: homemade infared light bars above or around your plate will eliminate that problem and since its not the law that they must film you then they cannot do jack crap.
    Also works for the street cams and other security cameras. Infared lights show up as bright white blobs.
    Maybe due to his custody battle there is some person his ex is associating with that is not supposed to see the kids so he thinks they are sneaking into the day care to do it? Or maybe his ex is borrowing a friends or relatives car to sneak into the daycare to see the kids so he is having some cop he knows run all the plates to catch it? Or maybe he wants to make sure no predators works at his kids daycare or someone with something in their past that he doesn't want around his kid?
    Or maybe if his kid ever goes missing he has all those plates to immediately hand over to the police as people who had contact with his kid.

I'm not going to go into details of what I do to keep my child safe but his behavior doesn't seem out of line to me. Rookie, yes. If I wanted info wit a camera no one would ever see me gathering it.
    My view is if you work in childcare it's almost like being a public servant. Your life is an open book and available to be examined to make sure my child is safe.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Too bad someone in the daycare with their wits about them and a camera couldn't have taken pictures of him taking pictures. Could he have been bounced for trespass, or would being on the pickup list override that?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Too bad someone in the daycare with their wits about them and a camera couldn't have taken pictures of him taking pictures. Could he have been bounced for trespass, or would being on the pickup list override that?

Its not a crime. Yeah they can trespass anyone, but if he is the one that has custody then I'm sure he wouldn't leave his kid there.
    Anyone can walk up to you in public and take your picture a s there is nothing you can do about it legally. Heard of paparazzi? Now if they are stalking you that's different.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Maybe he's looking up the plate info because he thinks he's going to be able to get the names and addresses and drag all the employees into court. Not that any judge would entertain it, but if he saw it in a movie or on TV the thought may be in his head. Or that he's necessarily going to get very far looking them up, not sure how easy it is in IN to get those details.

If you're nervous about it, the info is already out there so it would be a lost cause, but you could change to specialty plates of a cause you're willing to put the extra money out for and rotate causes every few years. Colleges, children's hospital, environmental, NRA, Sheriffs Association, ISP, etc. are all options. Then at least every year or two whatever plate someone has on hand tied to you is outdated, but unless you move that'll do no good.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Bingo! But I do care. FYI: homemade infared light bars above or around your plate will eliminate that problem and since its not the law that they must film you then they cannot do jack crap.
    Also works for the street cams and other security cameras. Infared lights show up as bright white blobs.QUOTE]

Tell me more about these lights, more specifically a how-to, sounds fun!

OP... I would make it a point to ask this dude what hes up to.. But Im more of an upfront straight forward person, and am missing that filter in between thinking something and saying it .

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Maybe he's looking up the plate info because he thinks he's going to be able to get the names and addresses and drag all the employees into court. Not that any judge would entertain it, but if he saw it in a movie or on TV the thought may be in his head. Or that he's necessarily going to get very far looking them up, not sure how easy it is in IN to get those details.

If you're nervous about it, the info is already out there so it would be a lost cause, but you could change to specialty plates of a cause you're willing to put the extra money out for and rotate causes every few years. Colleges, children's hospital, environmental, NRA, Sheriffs Association, ISP, etc. are all options. Then at least every year or two whatever plate someone has on hand tied to you is outdated, but unless you move that'll do no good.

That is what worries me. My wife does not do well under pressure. I hate to think what it would do to her to have to sit in from on a court, under oath, knowing she's under threat of perjury (not that she would ever lie)... just the thought is enough.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I first got divorced years ago, I kept very detailed records of everywhere my kids went and who they had contact with while there (they were all little at the time). Not all, but some of the info I gathered saved me a lot of money, and from being steamrolled by a judge during the divorce hearings. I would like to think the guy is just being thorough in his concern for the kids.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That is what worries me. My wife does not do well under pressure. I hate to think what it would do to her to have to sit in from on a court, under oath, knowing she's under threat of perjury (not that she would ever lie)... just the thought is enough.
    Why would she be under any obligation to testify?

Wouldn't they need some sort of solid legal basis for a subpoena?

Top Bottom