• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    I am not internet cowboy. I do not fantasize about doing combat magazine reloads in retail space or restaurants.

I am a husband. I am a father with three small children. I carry to protect them. I carry because they depend on me. Part of my EDC is a pistol and 50 rounds.

I am starting to think when I am with my family and we are in a vulnerable place, part of my EDC should be an AR pistol with 4-5 mags, with the intended purpose to get out and away. I have no intention of re-starting an active shooter post. That's on the main page.

Again, no cowboy, no superhero, no fantasies. I just want to protect my family when we are most vulnerable - away from home, in public places with a lot of people.

I can find plenty of ways to conceal an AR pistol. If I am not mistaken, anything under 26" can be concealed (carried in a bag).

Thanks.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am not internet cowboy. I do not fantasize about doing combat magazine reloads in retail space or restaurants.

I am a husband. I am a father with three small children. I carry to protect them. I carry because they depend on me. Part of my EDC is a pistol and 50 rounds.

I am starting to think when I am with my family and we are in a vulnerable place, part of my EDC should be an AR pistol with 4-5 mags, with the intended purpose to get out and away. I have no intention of re-starting an active shooter post. That's on the main page.

Again, no cowboy, no superhero, no fantasies. I just want to protect my family when we are most vulnerable - away from home, in public places with a lot of people.

I can find plenty of ways to conceal an AR pistol. If I am not mistaken, anything under 26" can be concealed (carried in a bag).

Thanks.

As much as I see daily, and as a firearms and combatives instructor, I've never felt the need to carry a 5.56 SBR (essentially what a AR pistol is) off-duty. Seems to be overkill. Having said that, do what you feel comfortable with.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    During the Paris attacks the first terrorist shot and killed by the police was shot with a handgun by a plainclothes officer.
    It took just a few shots, 50 round seems more than enough to do the job.

Carry a SBR, or AR pistol doesn't look practical. You might quit doing it after a day.
    Not to mention you could be seen as a potential active shooter if someone sees you with a long gun in a duffel bag.

Maybe you just need more training with your current carry handgun to feel more prepared instead of carrying a bigger gun with more ammo.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For me it has reinforced carrying at least a compact and I am seriously considering a rifle package for the car. When I travel, I have a folding AK with several mags in a discreet bag. That may be with me more often.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Use your EDC. If you get in a situation where you have to engage a target who is armed with better weaponry, if you are able to at the end of that encounter and need more firepower, take his.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I am sure that the terrorists look at our fears to always be "well" armed, with a rifle. and all the "anti" 2nd amendment laws as an advantage, and a pathway to commit their crimes. having said that, Indiana's gun laws are alot better than some states.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What's wrong with cowboys? :dunno:

Carry what you practice and are comfortable with. The French Gendarmes fired 5000 rounds in that latest hotel take down and hit what? 3 people died mostly from explosive tied to them. What the heck were they shooting at? 3 well placed rounds would have done as much. (then again maybe if people would stop using varmint rounds to hunt dangerous game...:stickpoke:)

I just heard from a friend that his daughter and two grandkids were in a McD's yesterday when two armed gunmen stormed in to rob the place. They are okay now but maybe should think about self defense, just as you are. I told him a: go armed everywhere, and b: don't eat at McD's. Then another guy on the list said that's why he eats at Burger Overlord...so he can have it his way, without the armed thugs.

If you want to carry more firepower it should probably be at your fall back location, same as your bug out bag and camping gear...it's just not practical to carry it all all of the time. Just like in the Army, my .45 was there so I could get back to my tank...it was too much bother to drop the escape hatch just to take a dump.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Only issue is trying not to look like a bad guy, and get shot by a good guy yourself. But I agree as I sit here in the Hamilton County Library computer lab with my EDC G-27 and spare 15 rd mag on my hip ( cause my laptop at home is on the blink and I have a college class test to take), that you can never be too careful.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I recently picked up a used Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W that I plan to keep in the car strictly as a get home rifle.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to secure it, but I have no plans to carry it anywhere. It will be a dedicated vehicle gun.

I travel to see family in PA several times a year and it's a 10+ hour drive each way. I can imagine plenty of scenarios that might pop up along that 575 mile stretch of road where a trunk rifle could come in handy.

I hope it never leaves the vehicle except for range trips, but it makes me feel better knowing I have it if needed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not me. I can run faster without a heavy weapon. Im a sheepdog for my flock, and none others. While I would take the shot if I could to save others, my primary tool is my legs to move me and my family away from that AO and to a safe position.

I'm no cowboy. Besides, in a situation like paris, Im not sure I want to be seen by the good guys while holding a baddie's rifle. (or maybe ANYBODYs rifle including my own). There is a good chance if I am spotted with a rifle I am more likely to be identified as a conspirator than I would simply holding a pistol.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

Thanks.

I agree with Denny347 and pretty much everyone else

IMO, if you're trying to keep your family safe then you need to be defensive and on the move. You don't need 150 rounds of .223 for that. If you're plan is to go on the offensive after your family is safe, I could justify 150 rounds, but then you have the problem of responding law enforcement thinking you're part of the active shooter(s), not to mention the very real possibility of killing an innocent. Do what makes you comfortable... but if you aren't comfortable defending yourself with 50 rounds from a handgun, I'd suggest more training.

From my point of view, if I'm in a restaurant or a public place where multiple shooters are and I look over to see a guy pulling an AR out of a duffel bag, it's within his best interest to make sure I don't have a clear shot and he is not in the path of my exit. Now, if he were open carrying the entire time where I know he is not a threat... different story, but a lot of people frown on open carrying AR's and the like, but concealing them is what makes it sketchy to me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think it's a good thing that people are thinking about what they EDC now. I have definitely put some thought into it.

I'm not a fan of keeping a weapon in my vehicle. So I'm not doing that. If I'm in a mall, and have managed to safely get out and make it to my vehicle, I'm not strapping on my rifle and going back inside. If you keep a gun inside your vehicle for other SHTF purposes, more power to you. But that's not how I think.

This event also made me realize that a larger size pistol is the smarter way to go instead of smaller pistol. More ammo, higher caliber.

I have even come to the conclusion that if you carry a gun, it's stupid to not carry some sort of basic med kit. In a situation like Paris, a med kit, and with the knowledge on how to use one, would be valuable. And more more valuable than just having a gun.

I am going to stop being dumb, and I'm going to find a way to get basic medical training, and start carrying a kit.

That's my take-a-way from this.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I recently picked up a used Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W that I plan to keep in the car strictly as a get home rifle.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to secure it, but I have no plans to carry it anywhere. It will be a dedicated vehicle gun.

I travel to see family in PA several times a year and it's a 10+ hour drive each way. I can imagine plenty of scenarios that might pop up along that 575 mile stretch of road where a trunk rifle could come in handy.

I hope it never leaves the vehicle except for range trips, but it makes me feel better knowing I have it if needed.

sub-2000 baybay

Top Bottom