• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Thinking outside the box?
    There's a bunch of 5.56 and 7.62 rifles that can fold down. A few of them are in the AR configuration that don't need the buffer tube and are very slingable.

SBR is your friend.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They are make believe

Pfft.

beef-its-whats-for-dinner-thumb.jpg

I guess cows are make believe too, right? It's all just glutens painted red and glued together and called "beef"? Wait....it's not really glutens painted red and glued together...is it? Oh man oh man oh man oh man...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    With a sling and some practice I think an AR pistol is much better than a traditional pistol. I think you get better accuracy and higher capacity. With that said, the odds of being in such a situation are pretty low. It isn't going to be worth lugging a backpack around with an AR pistol and extra mags on the very low likelihood of a Paris-like scenario. It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction or Walter Mitty (thanks, Kirk) fantasy scenario. Get some medical training and some bleeding control supplies and you'll be a lot more helpful in a bad situation. I think it's an odds game, and medical assistance seems to be a more likely scenario.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It goes hand in glove with "testator" which sounds dirty but apparently isn't. With apologies to David Letterman:

TOP 10 EXPRESSIONS THAT SOUND DIRTY BUT AREN'T

Frosting the pastry
    Shooting Hoops
    Jumping the turnstile
    Checking your oil
    Tethering the blimp
    Sending out for sushi
    Picnic on the grass
    Quarter-pounder at the Golden Arches
    Shaking hands with Abraham Lincoln
    Wind-surfing on Mount Baldy

What about spanking the monkey?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    She's been gone for some time. There have been several discussions about it, ranging from banned to butthurt. I personally believe one of those unloaded guns folks came in to sell went off and disabled her.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If one needs a rifle for self defense then they REALLY need a rifle. I am a believer in having one as close as possible.

That said, if one is gearing up to be ready to fight off terrorists and active shooters, I'd suggest focusing on skills over tools. Training, starting with the tools one has on them 100% of the time, then moving through the one's less handy. Being advanced in your handgun training and shooting skills should be the first step. :twocents:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If one needs a rifle for self defense then they REALLY need a rifle. I am a believer in having one as close as possible.

That said, if one is gearing up to be ready to fight off terrorists and active shooters, I'd suggest focusing on skills over tools. Training, starting with the tools one has on them 100% of the time, then moving through the one's less handy. Being advanced in your handgun training and shooting skills should be the first step. :twocents:
    :+1: I think a good comprehensive plan would be a mix of things brought up in this thread. Having a firearm that you can realistically carry that has sufficient capacity and ballistic capabilities along with a few medical trauma aid items and the proper training to be able to effectively use the both of them would be my choice before I would consider carrying something like an AR pistol. Also learning how to asses a threat and the situational awareness to avoid or having a plan to extricate oneself post haste from those types of situations would go a long way.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    G19 and two spare mags on belt with a G26 on ankle followed with a M4 in the car/truck with lots of mags.

A AR pistol is completely pointless in my mind, I have had every pistol from small to big and when the dust settled ended up with several G19's, its what works for me.

Same with long guns, started with bolt action rifles then shotguns etc., ended up with the long gun that works best for every scenario for me which is a Colt M4 w/EXPS2-2.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The EDC is to increase the survival chances of getting away, not to engage a nutcase terrorist or kid in a mall armed with an AK or AR - unless cornered. You might get lucky and get a hit but rifle vs. pistol is always bad for the guy with the pistol.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The EDC is to increase the survival chances of getting away, not to engage a nutcase terrorist or kid in a mall armed with an AK or AR - unless cornered. You might get lucky and get a hit but rifle vs. pistol is always bad for the guy with the pistol.

And sometimes, your best chance is to kill the guy with the AK.
    HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
    Meanwhile, Senior Airman Andrew P. Brown, age 25, with the 92nd Air Force Security Police Squadron, was patrolling the base’s housing areas on a bicycle when he received an emergency call on his two-way radio. He pedaled a quarter-mile to the scene and, while still some 70 yards away, spotted Mellberg shooting at scores of panic-stricken people in the parking lot. Brown ditched his bicycle and ordered the gunman to drop his weapon. When Mellberg turned and shot at him, Brown dropped into a combat crouch and returned fire with his 9mm Beretta M9 semiautomatic pistol. He fired four rounds at Mellberg; two missed, one hit him in the shoulder and one struck him between the eyes, instantly ending his homicidal rampage. The drum magazine in Mellberg’s MAK-90 still held 19 rounds of ammunition.

This guy pedaled a bicycle to the scene, and still managed to take the gunman down with 4 shots.

A rifle helps. Ability counts also.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    And sometimes, your best chance is to kill the guy with the AK.

A rifle helps. Ability counts also.

I was at Fairchild AFB when that happened. I was also very close (very minor burns) to where the B-52 crashed later that week.

That's the lucky part of my statement. Unfortunately, some of that luck required innocent victims to keep the gunman's attention while the SP got in range for his shot.

Top Bottom