• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dchiu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The sunlight all year long outside will actually wear your car... You will notice your paint fading, interior plastics and leather will loose their shine and start to dull. I suggest tying to keep your vehicle shaded in some points in time if you can.... it takes years for this to happen though.

It also really sucks during the winter to warm up a car outside, always starting with a cold block, unlike a vehicle that may be warmer in a garage.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    The sunlight all year long outside will actually wear your car... You will notice your paint fading, interior plastics and leather will loose their shine and start to dull. I suggest tying to keep your vehicle shaded in some points in time if you can.... it takes years for this to happen though.

It also really sucks during the winter to warm up a car outside, always starting with a cold block, unlike a vehicle that may be warmer in a garage.

the sun only damages your vehicle if you don't take care of it. wax your can, tint the windows and wash it when it's dirty, will really change the outcome.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

Yeah the sun is what I think I am most worried about. for winter i could get a remote start and warm it up a little from the door but the sun.

Another guy told me to look at it this way, your truck is parked in the sun while your at work all day long and gets garaged mostly at night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As my garage/shop is full of machines, tools and so forth we have always parked outside. Just maintain the vehicle as stated above. Keep the interior clean and treated and wax it at least 2 times a year. Our cars/trucks have weathered just fine except for the hail storm that went through in 05 I think.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I did the same thing for over 10 years for the same reason. I think my truck actually came out better because of it. During that 10 years, my kids were small and always with us. So when they got out of either vehicle they would always be using all the doors. This would have lead to lots of door dings if my truck had been in there the whole time. As far as the weather goes, its a truck, its supposed to look weathered and used isn't it?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Me too. My truck's been outside its whole life until about 2 years ago when we bought one of those metal carports to keep it under. It sure is nice not having to scrape frost and snow anymore.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    When I first bought my house there was a 2 car detached garage but my truck wouldn't fit in it. Tore it down with the ambition of building a 30x40 barn but 7 years later I still don't have that barn. Should've just left the garage.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I park outside have done so forever.
    An option to keeping interior shielded is to get windows tinted, even the windshield. It's not going to be a problem if you get 30% on the front.
    Also the cars today are painted better than they were long ago when this theory started. As long as you keep the "bird bombs" and tree sap off the paint you will be fine. Thats the biggest problem is neglect not nature.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have a two car carport/canopy that we park our daily drivers under. My garage is an older building, and neither my truck or my Bronco will fit in there. The carport is situated between the house and garage, so it provides pretty good shelter for the vehicles.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We used to park outside all the time....we were a lot younger then. Now I park in the garage, 100% of the time. No more scraping windows in the winter at 5:30AM, no more getting in to a car that is approaching 100 degrees, the cars stay cleaner, look nicer, lasts long time.

Not parking in a garage won't kill you though. I just find it to be a hassle that I can avoid.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I've never used a garage, and it is kind of shocking to me that so many have and sound like it is almost unnatural to have a vehicle left outside year-round.

A little bit of common sense and some regular maintenance and care and it will be fine.

Top Bottom