• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    In a SHTF scenerio, you have to consider everyone a threat unless and until you determine they are not so. Would I shoot someone 700 yards away? No. But if you get close enough to target with iron sights and I don't know you, you probably won't like the outcome. That's not false bravado; it's survival instinct.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Really? Some of you guys would shoot anyone crossing your property lines? I understand about protecting yourself, and respect for one's property, but seriously. What if the roads are all blocked off by traffic, and people are freaking out on the roads? If that is the case, the only way I can get home is by foot through peoples yards. I don't know how effective this would be, but what about hanging a white shirt from your BOB or similarly rigged thing? It might be a way to broadcast your intention... at least until people do it just to get close and then stab you in the back.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Just to add grist to the mill: What if it isn't one person but rather a group of people that are crossing your property and not bothering you? Would it make a difference to those of you who would shoot tresspassers whether or not it was a family (Man, woman, small kids)? Would you decide differently if it were a group of armed people instead of just a lone tresspasser?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Really? Some of you guys would shoot anyone crossing your property lines? I understand about protecting yourself, and respect for one's property, but seriously. What if the roads are all blocked off by traffic, and people are freaking out on the roads? If that is the case, the only way I can get home is by foot through peoples yards. I don't know how effective this would be, but what about hanging a white shirt from your BOB or similarly rigged thing? It might be a way to broadcast your intention... at least until people do it just to get close and then stab you in the back.

I do not live in 'NAP-TOWN'! And I seriously doubt that the ONE car driving down my road is going to be blocked off...well, unless we have 12" of snow on the ground and the county doesn't plow the roads...AGAIN.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If all hell had broken loose, and if you got close enough to my house that I could make you out as a target, I would consider you a threat to my safety. Does that necessarily mean I would shoot you? No. Does it mean I would be prepared to? Yes.

Just because you are carrying a white flag doesn't mean you can't / wouldn't shoot me given the opportunity. How could I be sure there is only one person? How could I be sure you didn't have others flanking me looking to take a shot at me or my family? Do you believe that someone wouldn't use women and children as distractions in order to kill you and take your stuff?

In a SHTF event those that are most resourceful will survive. That doesn't necessarily mean those thet have prepped the best. You could be very prepared, but if someone shoots and kills you and your family and takes your stuff, they are now more resourceful. It's the whole ant and grasshopper thing.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I will just try to get those that I care about into a situation that will increase our chances of survival. All adults will be armed to protect each other and our resources. I would hope that bands of looters and scavengers would not come around wanting to take what I had. However, if they would, I would think that I would have a couple of rifles behind me to reinforce what I had to say to any such people. Maybe I should go and acquire a ghilliie suit that I just saw on sale recently. From the hills overlooking my cabin, one rifleman could control a lot of territory including both roads in and out of the place. The terrain in the area is nearly as rugged as anything in Brown County. There are massive rock ledges sticking out of the hills in which cover could be sought if necessary. Relatively clean water is available all over the place and I do have water purifiers with several spare filters. I have a lake and a river in which to catch fish. I have boxes of various sized batteries with shelf dates out past 2015. I have communications devices along with GPS and SW radio receivers. About the only thing that I do not have is night vision, not even a first generation scope. Been thinking about getting one for some time now, however. I just need to make it over to my place with my friends and loved ones.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I was beginning to think that no one was going to post on this topic, but I really felt it an important conversation to have. If for some reason, vehicles were not an option to get home, some of the postings in previous threads talked about cutting through other people's property. I kinda thought that perhaps they had not considered the possible consequences of such action.

I agree with many of the posts, that on day one or two, while it makes sense people are trying to get home, some slack might be given until they get to looking in windows or acting like a threat. However, after that, I think we would all likely be very edgy about trespassers.

Thanks for posting....

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I would honestly do everything I could to avoid personal property, and even more specifically homes and shelters that may have "residents" within them. I would go well out of my way to do so. If I were forced to cross property lines, which is invevitable at some point, I would do it as far away from those structures as possible, and it would be done quickly and preferably without notice/disturbance.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I have only driven both routes that I would have to choose to take home and as far as I can tell, there would be no yards/property lines to cross that would make my trip shorter - until I got withing a couple blocks from home. Then, I might go through alleys to get there - not into someone's yard.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One of my two walking routes from work to home (if SHTF and I can't drive the 10 miles) crosses a lot of private property (farming fields and pasture). Option #1 is to follow the roads. If they are not safe, then I'll go cross-country. Neighborhoods and residences can be avoided, for the most part. I have no problem crossing private property, but will be respectful, discreet, and alert.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Just to clarify. I did not say anything about shooting. SHTF does not give someone the right to be on my property either. I don't do that to others and I expect them not to do it me either. If you were refering to my comments please don't add words.

do not see where i was refering to you or quoting you:rolleyes:

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I work in the heart of Marion Co. and my entire 20 mile route would take me through areas that would not be pretty during SHTF. To make matters worse, I'm a cop, so half the people who see me will want help, and the other half will want revenge. This walk down the road for me would be the worst day of my life.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    My back 40 is only 4, but people going through it at any time will have a problem on their hands even on a good day. SHTF scenario and the intensity of the situation and the trespass just increased considerably. Respect other people's property if at all possible.

I agree with your last sentence. BUT, I also agree with most who say they would keep a low profile, try to avoid being seen, and avoid other people. To me, this defines "cross country" and staying away from roads. There is little alternative than to cross other people's property, and probably sleeping on other people's property as well, unless you have less than 1 day's walk home.

I'm not sure how to reconcile these two facts.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I think you will have more trouble trying to be sneaky than just walking straight down a fence line or hedge row. I see someone low crawling near my house, especially with guns, and it could get ugly fast.

I agree with your last sentence. BUT, I also agree with most who say they would keep a low profile, try to avoid being seen, and avoid other people. To me, this defines "cross country" and staying away from roads. There is little alternative than to cross other people's property, and probably sleeping on other people's property as well, unless you have less than 1 day's walk home.

I'm not sure how to reconcile these two facts.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I just say keep it simple, gain as much ground as you can by vehicle, try to stay in a low light condition, keep a red lens with your light, and cover is by concealment, the goal is to stay hidden and go slow if the SHTF so you will go un noticed...then when clear...go like hell then repeat when the time is right.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    With all the people who are talking about going out to the country there are some who are getting just a little paranoid about their "BI" location being secretly coveted by others as a "BO" location. Sneaking around would only compound the fears. Depending upon what the event du jour is, I would not want to be viewed as having anything in mind but getting down the road. Most people are somewhat used to travel down the roads and so will not over react to it. People trying to sneak will probably not fare will in some scenarios, and remember that all of that woods stealth that the city folk have from being in the woods 30 hours a year will be easily detected by country folk who are in the woods 3000 hours a year.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Dress like you always do, walk or drive the way and where you always do. It's what I'll be doing.

Once I'm at home the people I always see, doing the things they always do, where they always do them will be low level threats or even considered friendlies.

People dressed like lawyers or vagrants will be closely observed and encouraged to move on. People looking or acting strange in any way will be watched closely and encouraged to move on. People who seem a little too stupid to be where they are or doing what they are doing..., same if they seem a little to smart for their own good. People who need to be told something this basic will be watched closely and encouraged to move on.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I understand that many people would not like people on their land during a shtf. I would also not like it, but if this is right after the shtf has happened, you have to know people are trying to get home or to their bug out places. I would try to drive but Roads may be unsafe, if it were you having to get to your bug out place and roads are not safe (think you have to assume they are not at some point)you to would have to go on other peoples land to get there. Anyone trying to get were they are going, I think would want to get seen by as little people as possible. The less people you see the less you have to deal with and less risk of confrontation. Locations near cities are going to see alot of people on their land days 1-4 and less after that.Locations farther may see people here and there for a week( after all walking and not being seen takes time and my wife does not walk that fast carrying a 30 pound pack and a glock and a Ar15) Day 1, I would say very little threat and going up from there day by day. Be less threat on day 4 for locations in the county(takes longer to get there and I am not much of a threat after a 20mile hike with gear). Reading this thread I have to say, the people that would shoot first, ask questions later are going to be cleaning up alot of bodies, and you better do it quick or you will have a bio-hazard right on your land. You will also be telling the BG that you are there and that you have things worth killing for. Might be best to be a little more stealthy especially if you are staying where you are. I do agree as looting begins. I have to protect my family and friends but why fight or waste ammo if I do not have to. I do not care how much ammo I think I have, if a true shtf event happens and things never get better I will not have enough.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Making the assumption that all people are good and "people are trying to get home or to their bug out places" could get you and your entire party killed.

The only reason we go through the exercise of preparing for a SHTF scenerio is our own personal safety. Everything else is crap. I, like many on this forum from the sounds of it, have invested significant amounts of money and time to have the best odds of surviving a situation where honestly many won't. My personal belief is that if there is a national or global event window that exceeds 60 days, there will be a 50% mortality rate. The people that will survive are:

1. People that live on next to nothing now;
    2. People that have planned well, have access to all their supplies; and diligently execute their plan;
    3. People that go about killing others and stealing their stuff.

Having been to parts of the world that are not run by cerebral academics, there are many more in group 3 than you might want to accept. The number of people willing to kill you over a loaf of bread will go up exponentially as the months pass. You may think that jaded or paranoid; I call it reality.

The single most important tool that you can have is the mindset that you will do whatever it takes to survive. If you don't have that you may as well give up now. In that is the acceptance that in order for me and my party to survive others will likely die. We only have people in our group that offer a specific skill set dedicated to our survival. Very few of them are friends. We have assembled for the common goal of surviving the unsurvivable.

I understand that many people would not like people on their land during a shtf. I would also not like it, but if this is right after the shtf has happened, you have to know people are trying to get home or to their bug out places. I would try to drive but Roads may be unsafe, if it were you having to get to your bug out place and roads are not safe (think you have to assume they are not at some point)you to would have to go on other peoples land to get there. Anyone trying to get were they are going, I think would want to get seen by as little people as possible. The less people you see the less you have to deal with and less risk of confrontation. Locations near cities are going to see alot of people on their land days 1-4 and less after that.Locations farther may see people here and there for a week( after all walking and not being seen takes time and my wife does not walk that fast carrying a 30 pound pack and a glock and a Ar15) Day 1, I would say very little threat and going up from there day by day. Be less threat on day 4 for locations in the county(takes longer to get there and I am not much of a threat after a 20mile hike with gear). Reading this thread I have to say, the people that would shoot first, ask questions later are going to be cleaning up alot of bodies, and you better do it quick or you will have a bio-hazard right on your land. You will also be telling the BG that you are there and that you have things worth killing for. Might be best to be a little more stealthy especially if you are staying where you are. I do agree as looting begins. I have to protect my family and friends but why fight or waste ammo if I do not have to. I do not care how much ammo I think I have, if a true shtf event happens and things never get better I will not have enough.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom