• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    What I mean from the title is my experience with a buddy of mine and interacting with other people that they think a certain way when dealing with firearms. They go with their experience in military and law enforcement and usually they don't want to try new things or concept unless they can prove beyond a doubt it is effective and are kinda sticks up their asses about their own opinions and it's hard to talk about what we each like about guns when he is dead set on one style or concept. It's almost like the "Why do I need this because they didn't have those why I was in the corp" or old school mentality.

So it sometimes annoys me when he said Pmags or plastic mags suck because to him plastic mags aren't durable under intense heat like in the desert and break/crack compared to metal mags. He doesn't like my BCM charging handle because the latch is too large and can snag on gear. He doesn't like the Key-mod system (thinks its ugly) and prefer quad rails. Doesn't like other magpul stuff like their stocks or their handguards and for the longest time is iron sights only on rifles because he didn't use one in the corp and states all the advantages of iron sights over red dots without taking in the advantages electronic optics have over iron sights. He hates the C-clamp holding the longer handguard trend, which I admit seems more like a trend than actual adoption in the military.

He also argues with me constantly about conceal carry like holsters. I carry a Raven, which doesn't have a lock or a button. He has a Safriland ALS because he likes systems with a lock to prevent the gun from flying out in a struggle and would be harder for a criminal to steal you gun from right under you. I argue how faster and easy it is for you to get your gun out.

It's weird to talk to people that are so stiff like that. Also he contradicts himself sometimes. Like he would only buy guns for a practical purpose and never because "it's cool and I want one", but a few years ago, he had a Desert Eagle, one of the most big dick guns around. He sold me on a stockless shotgun, and later switched to a shotgun with a stock.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The solution is simplicity itself.

Just have him buy YOU what HE likes! He likes AR's (or old school, M-14's or M-1's), have him buy you an AR to 'his specs'. 1911 fan? You'd take a Colt Government on his dime, wouldn't ya? :laugh:

That way, you get more stuff AND more of your own dollars to :spend: on whatever you choose! :thumbsup:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Meh, gun culture has always been conservative as its base. Can you blame them? If you are brought up on something, and trusted your life to it, there is an inclination not to deviant from it.

Smile, nod and hmmm. "Hmmm, I see what you mean."

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You can pretty much apply that title and remove "guns" and add any noun (ie religion, politics, life, etc) to it. EVERYBODY has their opinion and that's what makes it all great. We debate and agree or disagree but the bottom line is, don't let it get too personal. Enjoy what you buy and let the others enjoy what they have. If they don't want to try anything other than what they have learned in the past and refuse to try anything else, so be it. I don't want to get too philosophical so just nod and smile and just beat him at the range with your pmags, and bcm, and key-mod, and...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like this post

h3017A138

Top Bottom