• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Mark me down as a stiff. I have the guns I want (need is never the issue) and don't look to acquire anymore. What I have works and it works for me, but it is not the best or most expensive, but for me it works great. I don't text, tweet, Skype, use a GPS, or use a smart phone (I have a dumb phone that works fine). I am just old school I guess, but this is my point, I'm very content where I am and I don't need the latest gizmo to give me a thrill. The OP's friend sounds happy where he is, why not let him be and just enjoy his friendship without pushing stuff on him? If you need or want the latest it's your money and spend it how you wish, I'm happy for you, can't you be just as happy for me?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like he was his rifle's prison b**** and can't look at anything with an open mind anymore. I can't stand people who can't accept new things just because their new and it always seems like its stubborn old people. But I also don't blame him for mistrusting what modern technology can do to society...even if its just a red dot sight.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To each his own.

Or, what MG said.

The solution is simplicity itself.

Just have him buy YOU what HE likes! He likes AR's (or old school, M-14's or M-1's), have him buy you an AR to 'his specs'. 1911 fan? You'd take a Colt Government on his dime, wouldn't ya? :laugh:

That way, you get more stuff AND more of your own dollars to :spend: on whatever you choose! :thumbsup:

Its the boner drone.
    What do you think the range is on those things. You don't think I could be catching a stray ray all the way to So. Indiana do you? :tinfoil: At first I thought it was just Indiucky talkin'. Now I'm not so sure.

Mark me down as a stiff. I have the guns I want (need is never the issue) and don't look to acquire anymore. What I have works and it works for me, but it is not the best or most expensive, but for me it works great. I don't text, tweet, Skype, use a GPS, or use a smart phone (I have a dumb phone that works fine). I am just old school I guess, but this is my point, I'm very content where I am and I don't need the latest gizmo to give me a thrill. The OP's friend sounds happy where he is, why not let him be and just enjoy his friendship without pushing stuff on him? If you need or want the latest it's your money and spend it how you wish, I'm happy for you, can't you be just as happy for me?

To each his own. But that means the other him gets to choose HIS own. You don't like continually complain about the new stuff other people have do you? It seems like that's what the OP was venting about.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sounds like he was his rifle's prison b**** and can't look at anything with an open mind anymore. I can't stand people who can't accept new things just because their new and it always seems like its stubborn old people. But I also don't blame him for mistrusting what modern technology can do to society...even if its just a red dot sight.
    So much irony.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    hey people like simple ****. and in the Corps we use K.I.S.S. alot. i have a lot of buddies who only stick to one thing or the other. myself, i am open to new gun stuff! i always thought Mosins were ugly and garbage. finally bought one and its a ****ing blast to shoot.

but i am guilty of being a bland eater as mentioned. dont **** with my cheeseburger!!! i always tell my wife that when she talks about a new cooking spice or some fancy **** lol.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I can understand people being set in their ways. Look at how the older generation reacts to technology, now apply that mindset to someone who may have been in combat and sticking with what they were taught got them through.

I didnt read past the title, but I too am stiff about guns.
    Moms Demand Action just ran off to write a 47 page treatise on "ammosexuals" :):

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So some new things from my buddy. He doesn't like it that I've installed a vertical grip on my AR, according to him, I should have practiced holding the rifle without it before going onto "advanced techniques". He also said I haven't had enough time using the iron sights before attaching a red dot. It's kinda frustrating to talk to my guy about these things when he throws his Marine Corp and law enforcement experience in my face, like it's suddenly all about him. There's no malice behind it, but him keep saying that I have a civilian mentality when it comes to what I put on my guns is starting to get on my nerves or that anything I ask him about or argue to him about, he discounts it as internet bull**** or people online as people who are paid spokesperson trying to sell their products. Even though Travis Haley is a fellow Marine, my buddy sometimes discount things he said simply because the man runs a company and sells training and gear, that people who know anything about anything aren't trying to sell themselves online.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So some new things from my buddy. He doesn't like it that I've installed a vertical grip on my AR, according to him, I should have practiced holding the rifle without it before going onto "advanced techniques", recalling that he was stuck with an old M16A2 before getting an M4 during his 2nd tour. He also said I haven't had enough time using the iron sights before attaching a red dot. I do understand that one can't overly rely on little add ons to your weapon unless you've mastered the basics and I believe a vertical foregrip enhances my abilities to run my gun in a fight and if my red dot fails, I do have BUISs just in case.

It's kinda frustrating to talk to my guy about these things when he throws his Marine Corp and law enforcement experience in my face, like it's suddenly all about him. There's no malice behind it, but him keep saying that I have a civilian mentality when it comes to what I put on my guns is starting to get on my nerves or that anything I ask him about or argue to him about, he discounts it as internet bull**** or people online as people who are paid spokesperson trying to sell their products. Even though Travis Haley is a fellow Marine, my buddy sometimes discount things he said simply because the man runs a company and sells training and gear, that people who know anything about anything aren't trying to sell themselves online.

Sometimes I wish I can have one of these "youtube" guys, preferable another Marine like Tim from MAC to go face to face with my pal about these things so it's an even field because apparently if you have no experience and haven't seen ****, anything you say doesn't have worth to a combat vet.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So some new things from my buddy. He doesn't like it that I've installed a vertical grip on my AR, according to him, I should have practiced holding the rifle without it before going onto "advanced techniques". He also said I haven't had enough time using the iron sights before attaching a red dot. It's kinda frustrating to talk to my guy about these things when he throws his Marine Corp and law enforcement experience in my face, like it's suddenly all about him. There's no malice behind it, but him keep saying that I have a civilian mentality when it comes to what I put on my guns is starting to get on my nerves or that anything I ask him about or argue to him about, he discounts it as internet bull**** or people online as people who are paid spokesperson trying to sell their products. Even though Travis Haley is a fellow Marine, my buddy sometimes discount things he said simply because the man runs a company and sells training and gear, that people who know anything about anything aren't trying to sell themselves online.

Maybe you might tell him that his purpose and your purpose aren't the same and that perhaps you have a civilian mentality because you ARE a civilian. And your purpose is a civilian one. Probably won't help though. Some people are just like that and you either have to accept that and let them be their annoying selves or find another friend. Or you might tell him what you think next time he goes on about it. Or you can think about what he tells you and decide if there's any wisdom in it, and take what's useful and ignore the rest.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Despite our disagreements like compared to him I don't work out as much because of my own time. He's trained military and his mindset will never compromise with mine, but he's still my best bud regardless on how we train or set up our defensive weapons.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Despite our disagreements like compared to him I don't work out as much because of my own time. He's trained military and his mindset will never compromise with mine, but he's still my best bud regardless on how we train or set up our defensive weapons.

So it looks like you accept those annoying traits and him for what he is. If he saw this thread, you think it would change his perspective?

Maybe he puts up with you too. If he posted a thread from his perspective, would that change how you think of him? I can picture the title: "People who are loose about guns."

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    If he truely is a good buddy of yours, tell him to STFU. (He should be abld to take it, right?) Get a beer, and grab a bite to eat with him or something.

Also, don't discuss firearms with him for a while if it's so aggravating.

Cheers.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sounds like two relatively obtuse people clashing with each other to me.

One relying on anecdotes, the other relying on the current fads. I would say this should be settled on the range, prove your techniques superior if you put that much weight into them. That's generally how you settle things like this if you want to actually learn something.

I have my things I'm rather stern about. Like people putting airsoft accessories on a firearm they defend their life with. I really dislike people defending things that have a good chance of getting them killed.

Top Bottom