Philadelphia Ordinance INC receivers....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I see that you can buy Thompson gun parts online. And can order 80% receivers from Philadelphia Ordinance INC.

If you bought the parts and the 80% receiver, HOW can you go about turning this into a gun? Or even into a machine gun?

Is there a place you can go to have it machined, and registered and turn it into a machine gun?

I probably am missing something here...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks, I never even saw that thread.

So you couldn't turn it into a machine gun. Too much trouble ;)

What about into a semi-auto then?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Would it be considered "manufacturing" a firearm if you turned it into a semi auto?

I'm just wondering why someone would buy from that site, or why would that site be selling the parts if you couldn't do anything with it...

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    PA receivers are considered top notch and Bob is a super nice guy and has been in the MG business a LONG time. He started out making an exact replica of the Thompson receivers as transferable MG's right before the ban.

Since the ban he sells his receivers as dummy receivers and he will also sell completed receivers as post dealer samples. You could make a semi-auto out of one I guess but it would have to be modified to shoot from a closed bolt. By the time you put hours and hours into the mods and the engineering it would take to do it you would be WAY better off just buying a current AO Thompson semi-auto.

PA also sells several other types of WWII receivers as dummy's and PDS's and will work on other WWII transferable MG's, post dealer sample MG's WWII dummy guns.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    By the way, you ARE allowed by law to make your own firearms. The receiver has to be 80% or less completed when you get it.

There are companies that sell 80% AR-15 receivers and also sell jigs for drilling and milling them. There are quite a few I've seen on ar15.com that have been built by their owners.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    By the way, you ARE allowed by law to make your own firearms. The receiver has to be 80% or less completed when you get it.

There are companies that sell 80% AR-15 receivers and also sell jigs for drilling and milling them. There are quite a few I've seen on ar15.com that have been built by their owners.

There's no such thing as 80%. It either is or it isn't.

If the fire control group pocket is milled, bent, indicated, or otherwise present it is a firearm. Otherwise it is not.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    meh. Its still an 80% receiver. It may not be a firearm, but with a little machine work it will be.

That wasn't my point. There is no distinction by the ATF as to 0%, 20%, 80%, 99% or 100% receivers. It either is a firearm (the FCG has been indicated, cut, bent or in some manner otherwise exists) or it isn't a firearm (the FCG has not been indicated, cut, bent or in some manner otherwise does not exist). Some so called 80% recievers have the FCG cut, in which case they are firearms and people have gone to jail for transferring them in interstate commerce.

I'm simply pointing this out so that people that want to make their own receiver can remain within the law and out of jail. Do with this information what you will.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So if you had all the parts, and the "80%" receiver, you could make your own firearm, right? As long as you milled the receiver for a closed bolt, you're still within the law?

You don't have to register it? Or do you?

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So if you had all the parts, and the "80%" receiver, you could make your own firearm, right? As long as you milled the receiver for a closed bolt, you're still within the law?

You don't have to register it? Or do you?

There is no "registration" for Title 1 guns. You are allowed to build any semi auto gun you want, just as long as you aren't making a business of it and planning on selling them. All of the ATF regs apply to a gun you make yourself, including US parts count.

It wouldn't be just the receiver that you'd have to modify to make it closed bolt, it would be several internal parts as well. And if you're talking a '28 style Thompson I believe it would be even more of a project than the M1 or M1A1, as they have a different system of operation.

My suggestion, forget the whole "80%" idea and just buy a complete semi auto gun. If you aren't seriously mechanicly inclined and a good machinist with the proper machines/tooling you're going to have lots of issues. :twocents:

Top Bottom