Pistol/carbine combinations that share mags/ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Do like and want the Beretta 92 or are you just gonna so you can have the set up?

This topic is something I can't believe more companies haven't capitalized on yet. They have to know they'd sell millions of them.

My friend has one and it seems nice. I'm a revolver and 1911 guy and my go to 9mm is a Sig p226. I'm mainly wanting one so I can have this setup. I've been in love with the cx4 since they came out and finally got one. I just can't do the glock thing. Ugly like a hipoint IMO.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Haha. Yeah I should probably edit my Glock comment. They are leaps and bounds above hipoint and quality firearms you can trust to go hang when your life depends on it. I just don't like them. It's subjective.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I really like my AR9 and JR Carbine because I can practice my long gun handling skills at local pistol matches. It's very convenient that my match PCC's and carry handguns all use the same mags. I carry a big stick loaded with Federal HST's in every vehicle for backup ammo. At this point in the conversation, I will state that my PCC guns are set up just like my 5.56 guns.

For self defense or CQC I'll take my rifle chambered in the rifle caliber. I'll already have a pistol caliber pistol. Why duplicate that when I could have the same package with much much more effectiveness? :twocents:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have a Remington R1 and a HiPoint 459 although they can't share mags. Both pretty much safe queens. Also have Glock 23 and a S2k in .40. Both live in my truck with a few 20 round mags.

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Pistol/rifle combos that use the same ammo and/or magazines are a no brainer.
    I have everything from flintlock rifle/pistol combos to lever action rifle/single action pistol combos to modern day PCC/handgun combos.
    Same ammo, same magazine, in some cases, more accuracy with the rifle/carbine, more M.V. with the carbine, easy transitions between the two. What is not to like?

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    FN 5-7 and a PS-90 would be a really cool, albeit expensive combo. Stocking up enough ammo to last would probably bankrupt me. I know it doesn't meet the Mag requirement but still...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    1911A1 and Camp45

phone_130.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They are still available on armslist about 10 times original list of $130.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    My pair is similar . . . Beretta CX-4 45ACP with Beretta Cougar 8045 45ACP . . . matching magazines.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    My pair is similar . . . Beretta CX-4 45ACP with Beretta Cougar 8045 45ACP . . . matching magazines.

Awesome. Do you ever do drills switching back and forth? I think we are setting up a smallish course type tomorrow. It will be my cx4 9mm and Sig p226 vs a sig mpx and sig legion. Should be a lot of fun.

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I'd like to get a .44 Magnum lever-action carbine to match my S&W Model 29-3 sooner or later.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    I picked up a Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine last weekend. Was a great deal to me bc it came with a Vortex strikefire red dot and several 30rd magazines. My plan is to purchase a 92 series pistol so I can have a setup that shares ammo and magazines. In my crazy overthinking imaginary zombie apocalypse situations, I believe this type and f setup would be outstanding in an urban close quarters environment.

What else would others prefer? I think a glock/ar9 setup would work great but I hate blocks and ar9s are expensive to build. There s also the old school revolver and lever action setup that is nothing but cool and nostalgic.

What others are out there?

I have a Ruger PC4 that uses .40S&W mags for the P-series pistols Ruger made back in the 90's. As for Marlin, most folks know about the 9mm version but it was also available in .45acp using 1911 magazines, pretty cool since 1911's are made by so many companies.

As I understood it, in the 80's and 90's several gun makers toyed with rifles using pistol mags as a marketing gimmick for cops to have a rifle available without having to carry separate ammo or mags. At the time, Ruger's auto pistol line was the P-series so they developed the "Police Carbine" or PC9/PC4.

When I bought my PC4 it was strictly a lucky score. I was in a gun shop for something else when they were putting the PC4 out on consignment. It was being sold as "used-unfired" by a cop who never used it. All complete, box, manual, extra mags, sling, scope rings, 4 boxes of LE ammo and a Pelican case. It took me about 5 minutes to decide to dive on it. Very accurate, absorbs the .40S&W recoil nicely and from what I've learned that has something to do with the bolt design.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I've never heard of that but will need to look into it. I'm finding that some of my favorite firearms are coming from the 90s. Too bad I was a kid otherwise I would have been buying these up

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Seems like there was a lot more innovation in the past than there is today. Nowadays everything "OMG NEW DIFFERENT GAME-CHANGING BETTER" is exactly the same as 5000 other guns on the market right now +/-5%

Top Bottom