• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themrdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I have a coworker who wants to get his brother a pistol for personal protection, the problem is that his brother only has one hand. I was hoping for some advice on what firearms for him to look at.
    I have a couple guys at work willing to throw a little money towards the purchase. He doesn't want a revolver.

Thanks for any help you all can provide. And merry Christmas and happy new year

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Best advice i could offer is to let him shoot and operate (load/unload) several types.

I would think revolvers may be easier to operate, The Ruger method of unlatching the cylinder may be easier for one hand by pushing in with thumb while other fingers push cylinder out from other side at same time.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They can shoot any handgun. It will take a lot of practice to load a revolver or semi-auto.
    I think a semi-auto would be best.
    They can even get one of those holsters that hold the magazine on the same side.
    Also might want to invest in a gunsmith putting a slide handle/hook to manipulate the slide with their belt.
    Just some ideas that may or may not work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    rhino was the one-hand/weak hand instructor. I'm not sure he is instructing anymore, but I'm sure brother John (obijohn) could do it.

With a modern double stack 9mm you aren't hindered a lot by limiting to only one hand. Even using just the weak hand, for those of us who still have two.

You can reload, clear malfunctions, basically everything with just one hand. Lots of ways to do it. Just need the proper instruction of how to do it safely.

My personal suggestion would be to start with a longer grip pistol, like G17/G45/G34. You could still do it with a shorter gripped G19, but I'd plan on having your backup mags be the 17 round length, for easier use overall.

Needless to say, high capacity means high capacity. Obviously, less need to be concerned with reloading when there is a bucket of bullets in gun to start with. Icing on the cake is a pistol heavy with bullets recoils less and a heavier platform is steadier for the initial shots, using the one hand.

:twocents:

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Small gun... yea so there's less to hold onto, less capacity, stiffer springs, and harsher recoil. Larger guns offer... well, invert my first line.

As with every "what gun to buy" question, have the person getting the gun go take a class or 5, do some shooting, try some different guns and see what works.

red dot or rear sight able to be hooked on something to rack it, mag pouches on the same side as the holster, lots of training. I'm with Kirk, it's about software, not hardware. How much of the opposite arm is left? Train to use what's left of the other arm to assist with manipulation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He doesn't want a revolver.

For personal protection:

1) How will he clear a malfunction for a semi-auto, say a double feed or stove pipe?

2) For practice, will he always have someone to load magazines for him?

3) Will he have someone to break the gun down for him for maintenance?

All concerns with a semi-auto that are easy answers with a revolver. My dad didn't lose a hand, but with severe RA and tendons locked in place so fingers didn't move he was severely limited what actions he could take. A revolver was the last gun he could reasonably use on his own.

Top Bottom