• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Take him to the range and rent several pistols to find out what fits best and is most controllable for him. It will depend how large and strong his hand is.

This also sounds exactly like what pistol braces were designed for, although they are currently in a gray area regarding legality.
    100% this.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It also depends on how much arm he has to work with on the non-handed side. Women aren't the only people who come up with "work arounds" to accomplish some tasks.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It's an individual decision. He should shoot serval different types and see what he likes best. But IMO a revolver would be the easiest choice. I would worry about safely racking the slide and safely reloading when practicing. While it can be done with a semi-auto one handed, it would be easier with a revolver. Set it down, open and re-load...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's an individual decision. He should shoot serval different types and see what he likes best. But IMO a revolver would be the easiest choice. I would worry about safely racking the slide and safely reloading when practicing. While it can be done with a semi-auto one handed, it would be easier with a revolver. Set it down, open and re-load...
    A revolver can be easily unloaded with one hand and if wearing slacks, it can be loaded with one hand by placing the barrel inside the pants with the barrel pointed down and with the cylinder open outside. This would be frowned upon at a public range, however.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have a coworker who wants to get his brother a pistol for personal protection, the problem is that his brother only has one hand. I was hoping for some advice on what firearms for him to look at.
    I have a couple guys at work willing to throw a little money towards the purchase. He doesn't want a revolver.

Thanks for any help you all can provide. And merry Christmas and happy new year
    I have a cousin who's oldest son has only one arm and he runs a Beretta 92 and loves it. He says he chose the Beretta because it's one of the few hammer-fired pistols still available, and he loves the SA mode that it offers...making shooting easier and more accurate one-handed, although he's also left-handed.
    In an emergency, he simply shoves the slide between his knees or catches the metal rear sight on something with a sharp edge to manipulate it!
    He's been this way since birth and simply adapts...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom