• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Your two year old isnt capable of mauling someone. No matter how mean he/she is.

Not true.

Back in 2006, I was staying at my folks' house, when our neighbor's addled two-year-old (he was kept in the house watching Teletubbies 24/7, so that's why he was so mental) somehow escaped and attacked our small English Setter female, waking me up at about 7:00 in the morning with snow drifts all the way around the house.
    I grabbed my newly purchased 10mm auto and went out the front door, finding the neighbor's two-year-old had our dog by the neck, with both of his front handson her chest, pulling as hard as he could, clearly attempting to tear her throat out.
    I deliberately sent the first round (my reload with a 180 grain Hornady XTP) over the attacking two-year-old's back, but he didn't even flinch.
    My next shot didn't miss.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Your two year old isnt capable of mauling someone. No matter how mean he/she is.
    Capable? If we are going to use the term "capable" then maybe not a 2 year old girl but the overwhelming majority of dogs are capable of mauling people.

I've met thousands of pit bulls in my office(s). Some are as sweet as any Golden Retriever; rarely I meet one I am literally afraid of. I don't necessarily agree with the statement "it's all in how they are raised". Behavior definitely has strong genetic influence. And even a pit who is nice with people needs to be temperment-tested around other animals before you bring them home. But they are individuals and breed isn't the place to focus the problem.

Before pits it was Rotts and Dobermans and Shepherds that were villified. And there are still stray dogs out there of "mutt" breeding that are vicious. The problem is with owners in 2 ways:
    1) whatever breed is currently trendy as a tough dog is the breed likely to be owned by people who like to look tough. Right now you have pits running loose in bad neighborhoods in Indy. 30-40 years ago it was Rotts and Dobermans.
    2) Loose dogs in general are the problem. Good leash law enforcement prevents bites.

I'm a cyclist and I have friends who have been maimed or killed by dogs. It's not usually directly due to the bite. It's because running full long into a bicycle causes a crash that kills, paralyzes, or otherwise disables the rider.

Whatever your opinion on pits, it's a waste of time to exercise it. Yes, the aggressive dog in the original post is a threat. Prevention in general needs to be aimed at more strict enforcement of owners who let their dogs run loose. It does work.

By the way, I had an experience somewhat similar to what oldpink describes, except I was about 10 years old and didn't have a firearm. My collie was being held down in our own yard by a Doberman. Being rather fond of my dog, I ran out and kicked the Doberman (with my mother screaming at the top of her lungs of course), then the collie and I ran back in the house. The collie was probably saved by its heavy hair coat. We called the neighbors who owned the Doberman. They picked it up, apologized, and got rid of the dog (not sure by what method). Ironically, they had bought the dog supposedly with training to attack other dogs because ANOTHER neighbor had an aggressive German Shepherd. That "neighbor with the Shepherd" had a habit of getting dogs that always chased us on our bikes as well and once had my brother cornered at his truck in a similar way the OP describes. So yeah, it's not just pits.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This thread again?

All dogs are potentially dangerous. I personally know of a 60 year-old woman that lost an eye due to an unstable Jack Russel Terrier.

Pits were specifically bred to be more dangerous than other dogs. Many were bred for fighting. As terrier breeds, they can be tenacious...when they hit it can be very difficult to get them to release. Some of these dogs are terribly mistreated. I know some that are VERY good dogs...it ALL comes down to how attentive the handler is.

I'll speak from personal experience here: I have a 70-Lb German Shepherd Dog. She is as loyal as the day is long. I have no concerns about her attacking me or my wife, but she can NEVER be allowed off a leash...the risk is too great that she could harm someone else.

She's a really good dog, with no history of aggression...but that is not a reliable indicator of the future. I must be diligent. Anything she does is my responsibility. I don't want to have to deal with an injured neighbor, or to have to put down my dog.

Loose dogs are a (potential) problem...the bigger and stronger the dog, the bigger the potential problem. I don't care what breed.

Pits are not inherently bad dogs...but there are a lot of pits owned by VERY shady people.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This thread again?

All dogs are potentially dangerous. I personally know of a 60 year-old woman that lost an eye due to an unstable Jack Russel Terrier.

Pits were specifically bred to be more dangerous than other dogs. Many were bred for fighting. As terrier breeds, they can be tenacious...when they hit it can be very difficult to get them to release. Some of these dogs are terribly mistreated. I know some that are VERY good dogs...it ALL comes down to how attentive the handler is.

I'll speak from personal experience here: I have a 70-Lb German Shepherd Dog. She is as loyal as the day is long. I have no concerns about her attacking me or my wife, but she can NEVER be allowed off a leash...the risk is too great that she could harm someone else.

She's a really good dog, with no history of aggression...but that is not a reliable indicator of the future. I must be diligent. Anything she does is my responsibility. I don't want to have to deal with an injured neighbor, or to have to put down my dog.

Loose dogs are a (potential) problem...the bigger and stronger the dog, the bigger the potential problem. I don't care what breed.

Pits are not inherently bad dogs...but there are a lot of pits owned by VERY shady people.

Can't find a thing to argue with here.
    It's also worth mentioning that Pits' musculature and jaw structure combine to make them able to do much more damage more quickly than most other breeds (excepting English Mastiffs and the like), and (also as you mentioned) people of questionable character tend to gravitate toward them for those reasons, and predictably those people are more than happy to habituate their newly acquired dog to being vicious.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Can't find a thing to argue with here.
    It's also worth mentioning that Pits' musculature and jaw structure combine to make them able to do much more damage more quickly than most other breeds (excepting English Mastiffs and the like), and (also as you mentioned) people of questionable character tend to gravitate toward them for those reasons, and predictably those people are more than happy to habituate their newly acquired dog to being vicious.

I don't know if they often habituate them; they just don't take care of them. They are often scared of their own dogs. I covered vacation for a vet in Chicago, in one of those neighborhoods that was probably a nice place in the 50s. And there were still some good people there. Plenty of the guys who brought in pits, and still a few Rotts and Dobermans, were scared of their own dogs whether they were vicious or not. They would have the leash in one hand, a stick in another. They were scared to pick up their dogs or restrain them in any way. And of course when they get loose, nobody goes after them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't know if they often habituate them; they just don't take care of them. They are often scared of their own dogs. I covered vacation for a vet in Chicago, in one of those neighborhoods that was probably a nice place in the 50s. And there were still some good people there. Plenty of the guys who brought in pits, and still a few Rotts and Dobermans, were scared of their own dogs whether they were vicious or not. They would have the leash in one hand, a stick in another. They were scared to pick up their dogs or restrain them in any way. And of course when they get loose, nobody goes after them.

That could be true in some circumstances, but it's just too common for drug dealers and other unsavory people to have them, either as a way to protect their wares or as penis extensions.
    The people who are afraid of their own dogs a) have no business having their dogs at all an b) their dogs sense that their owners are not their masters, aka pack leaders and it's inevitable that the dog will assert dominance in the absence of an owner who should properly be accepted by his dog as the true master in their relationship.
    That's Dog Psychology 101, and it's amazing how so many people don't understand that.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    That could be true in some circumstances, but it's just too common for drug dealers and other unsavory people to have them, either as a way to protect their wares or as penis extensions.
    The people who are afraid of their own dogs a) have no business having their dogs at all an b) their dogs sense that their owners are not their masters, aka pack leaders and it's inevitable that the dog will assert dominance in the absence of an owner who should properly be accepted by his dog as the true master in their relationship.
    That's Dog Psychology 101, and it's amazing how so many people don't understand that.

Actually the idea that dogs think of humans as part of the pack is not accepted dog psychology; even the guy who originally wrote the theory now says it's bunk. :) but carry on.... enough controversy in this thread already

I agree on the drug dealers, etc having them. I'm just saying they don't "train" their dogs to be vicious usually. They just neglect them.

gtl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    We walk our pitbull around the neighborhood on a leash, but don't hold the leash. It's mainly there to grab it if someone is flying down the street and we want to be sure she doesn't get hit. When we come across people, we have to warn them that if they let her approach because she looks sweet, she will lick them to death.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana

Penis extension, same can be said about guys who have big trucks

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    That could of been risky shooting at the gravel at the dogs feet…..bullet could of ricochet and hit something or someone…..at least bullet hitting dog would of slowed bullet if not stop it. I vote shoot dog next time……maybe we should make a poll….shoot to kill or shoot to scare Rover.

Top Bottom