• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Looking to purchase a pocket pistol, mainly for the summer months when in shorts and tees. I'm thinking of either a S&W bodyguard .380 or a Ruger LCP. I've never fired either gun, my choices are based on alot of reading on reliability and size. Any thoughts ?

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I bought the Ruger LCP for my wife. I like it myself. Only issue is get a Laserlyte or a Crimson Trace Laser for it cause the sights are tight. It has proven to be a real tack driver. Snappy recoil so ensure you get the pinky extension.

I have not tried the S&W Bodyguard so I cannot give any input on them. Good luck. :ar15:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Have you considered a Kahr p380? I've owned and carried the LCP - and RBrianHarless' comments above are on the mark for the LCP. I consider the Kahr to be a big step up and a LOT more fun to shoot. Size is similar - but the trigger is WAY better in the Kahr. With a DA mouse gun, trigger counts for a lot.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Handled both the SW 380 and the Ruger LCP. I liked and bought the SW 380. Used Winchester, Remington and Hornady ammo, no failures to fire with any of the ammo.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Thanks. I have thought about a kahr but really didn't want to spend that much on something I figured is gonna get beat up. The LCP is available with a factory laser for 399 near me. My dealer said he sells alot more of the LCPs than the smiths. I started to consider a 9 but they are much larger than the .380s. I usually carry a .45 so i want a big difference between the 2.

bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    Ruger LCR

I really like my LCR in 38 spl. Very light, fits in pocket or small belt holster, a no brainer to shoot. Would at least give them a look.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can't say enough great things about the Beretta Nano BU9.

Pros: Reliable as heck, reasonably small design, 9mm instead of 380, Beretta, Price.

Cons: Not quite as small as some of the pocket 380's but I think the 9mm outweighs the size.

NanoinHighNoonleft.jpg

NanoLeftClose-up.jpg

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Tossing in my vote for the Taurus PT738. Same size package as an LCP or P3AT, but it includes a slide lock on empty, and a loaded chamber indicator. And all at the same price point as the LCP. I've never had an issue out of mine, either. Great pocket gun.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Save some money and get a Kel Tec P3AT. Same as LCP but $100 less. Love mine, no issues.In all fairness, I have only handled the p3at and LCP.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Ruger LCP here for the past year. No problems, shoots good. Fits in front pocket no problem. If you want a 9, look at the Ruger LC9, just slightly bigger than the LCP.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I would suggest a Smith and Wesson 642. I had one and sold it to buy a Ruger LCP. That was a big mistake. The S&W 642 is probably the best pocket guns there is.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I completely agree with the below :)

Have you considered a Kahr p380? I've owned and carried the LCP - and RBrianHarless' comments above are on the mark for the LCP. I consider the Kahr to be a big step up and a LOT more fun to shoot. Size is similar - but the trigger is WAY better in the Kahr. With a DA mouse gun, trigger counts for a lot.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    The owner of the local gun shop carries the Kel-tec and they are definitely cheap. I thought about the nano but it's not quite small enough. The search continues ...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a Sig P238 in my pocket and love the thing. It's the smallest gun I own but is still fun to shoot. The locked breech design does not make is snappy like the blow back guns and it's accurate to boot. The other day I was out at MCF&G practicing 3 yard mag dumps and found I could put 6 rounds into an 8 inch circle in about 2 seconds. That gives me a lot of confidence in the gun.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks. I have thought about a kahr but really didn't want to spend that much on something I figured is gonna get beat up. The LCP is available with a factory laser for 399 near me. My dealer said he sells alot more of the LCPs than the smiths. I started to consider a 9 but they are much larger than the .380s. I usually carry a .45 so i want a big difference between the 2.

Grice Gun Shop Shooter's Sale 2012 Catalog

Here is is where I got my LC9. I actually went to get the LCP, but it got lost in my hand. If you look through the ad, you will see LC9 for 349.00 w Lasermax. LCP is 269.00

Top Bottom