• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I've been carrying the LCP in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster for 1 1/2 years now and I don't even realize its there most of the day. Like the fit-n-finish of the LCP over the P3AT and it was only $30 more. Plus, I own several other Rugers and like them all.

Went to MidWest when they had the LC9 on sale to compare. Although I like the idea of a 9mm compact carry, it was just too big for a front pocket, imho.

Visit your local gun store and try them all for yourself. Remember that all the extras add up too...pocket holster, extra mags with finger extensions, lasers if desired, and then the ammo.

You'll find what's best for you and realize that all this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...LOL

Good luck shopping...

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I carry a Sig P238 in my pocket and love the thing. It's the smallest gun I own but is still fun to shoot. The locked breech design does not make is snappy like the blow back guns and it's accurate to boot. The other day I was out at MCF&G practicing 3 yard mag dumps and found I could put 6 rounds into an 8 inch circle in about 2 seconds. That gives me a lot of confidence in the gun.
    I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite which I hardly notice in a pocket. Comfortable carrying with T-shirt and swim trunks. The P238 is a clone and Colt is again making Mustangs.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    When I was looking for a pocket gun, I narrowed my search down to the kel-tec, ruger, and taurus. The taurus locks back on an empty mag, fits my hand the best, and was the cheapest. The only down side are the sights. I have put over 300 rnds through mine without one malfunction. And it comes with two mags. I love my taurus TCP 380 and carry it every day.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Tossing in my vote for the Taurus PT738. Same size package as an LCP or P3AT, but it includes a slide lock on empty, and a loaded chamber indicator. And all at the same price point as the LCP. I've never had an issue out of mine, either. Great pocket gun.

Had a TCP. Liked the feel and the loaded chamber indicator, and you can't beat the price, but despite two trips back to Taurus it would not feed reliably (tried several different types of ammo). Traded it and got the LCP. My LCP has been been great so far.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    If I was limited to just the two you mentioned I'd go the Smith due to the better sights. I'd go with the Ruger if its a matter of money and the laser isn't a big deal. Both seem to be fairly reliable with defensive ammo.
    I've looked at both and have friends/coworkers that have one or the other.
    For me the concern is such a small weapon that is a handful (no pun intended) to shoot may not be what I want to bet my life or my family's on if its the wrong day to be 'there'. Then again those two options would definetly better than no gun at all.
    Good luck on the search.

Stay safe

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The problem with the SW Bodyguard 380, is the lousy location of the laser button.
    With the Ruger LCP and a Crimson Trace, all that matters is that you have a proper combat grip, and the laser is activated. No extra motions required.

The important thing with the LCP or any small gun is that you need lots of practice, either live fire or dry fire with it to become proficient. The CT laser is an excellent training aid.

Top Bottom