• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Might not be the time to mention his wife was over your house late.

:):

Yeah ...

They do it with multiple shooters too.

8Jr5m6Q.jpg

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    When I was Air Force Security Police in the mid 70s we were issued S & W Model 15 revolvers for our sidearms. I had no issue with Model 15, it was the ball ammo they issued us that sucked. [130gr. ball, scooting along somewhere between 600-700 feet per second] 6rds. in the gun and 12 more in dump pouches, that was it.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    From the early 70's to the late 80's, most central Indiana cops packed a S&W 19/66 .357. Some of us were allowed and did pack M27's and 28's. The majority shot the Federal .357B 125 gr (1500 fps) load or the Winchester 158 gr or in the later years S&W 681 or 686 with the Fed 357B load or the Winchester 140 gr Silverbullet.

After the late 80's, 9mm Sig P226 or Beretta P92 F where in vogue which where then unfortunately then replaced by the Glock 19.

After that the great .40 experiment using S&W's, Sig's and Glocks.

And now we are back to where we began and I'm still packin' Fed 357B's.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you look up the history of "wonder nines" that'll give you a lot more context here.
    In general, it seems that departments started switching in the late 80s and early 90s (think "Die Hard" and "Lethal Weapon")
    S&W, Sig, and Beretta made early and impactful impressions :) Quickly followed by Glock by the mid-late 90s

1911s have never been out of style, and were an approved alternative for many years.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    my uncle was a cop for about 30 years. Carried a smith and then was the guinea pig when they tested the glocks for a while he was the only guy with a semi auto. When he died the smith went to his oldest boy (also a cop) and the glock went back to dept. as like a relic kinda thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Still used by some special units over here.
    For CQB or for training to shoot at eachother.

gign-historique-1994-02.jpg

1522005541709806665.jpg

I've seen cops with two side arms, a Glock next to a revolver.

I have one of those French revolvers (Manurhin MR 73 in my avatar), and it's awesome! Adjustable trigger that rides on roller bearings. Smoothest revolver trigger I've ever felt. :yesway:

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had some fun one time taking some pictures of some old police revolvers...Here is a set up as I imagined someone on Jim Cirrillo's stakeout squad might have carried ca 1970...

Here is a Louisville police issue .44 magnum from the 1970's with my Dad's old K&I RR hat.....I figured this would be Derby Security circa 1975 or so...

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    A few years ago I saw a female police officer on the north side of Chicago with a stainless steel revolver on her hip. Two years ago I met a LaPorte Sheriff Deputy who had a GP 100. Collecting law enforcement revolvers are my favorite kinds of firearms to collect.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had some fun one time taking some pictures of some old police revolvers...Here is a set up as I imagined someone on Jim Cirrillo's stakeout squad might have carried ca 1970...
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that Jim Cirillo used an Ithaca model 37 in 12 ga. loaded with slugs. His sidearm was a S&W Model 10, if memory serves me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that Jim Cirillo used an Ithaca model 37 in 12 ga. loaded with slugs. His sidearm was a S&W Model 10, if memory serves me.

Correct...

Some guys did use M1 carbine's on the squad and Smith and Wesson J frames were often used as BUG or off duty weapons...I did not have a period model 10 heavy barrel when I took the pic...Notice the quote "Here is a set up AS I IMAGINED SOMEONE on Jim Cirrillo's stakeout squad MIGHT have carried ca 1970..."

I was doing theme series pics on the Smith and Wesson forum and this set up was from a guy that I IMAGINED they pulled from Vice to help them with a stakeout....It was a whole series I did, they were clamoring for more and I was running out of ideas...:)

Here is the thread with much explaining as to why I chose what I chose.......

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1961-1980/191512-night-shift-cirillo-nyc-ca-1970-a.html

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I don't know if this really goes in this thread, but when has that ever been an issue? Anyway, I inherited a Model 19 that was used to execute a sheriff's cruiser, according to my Dad who was on some kind of Sheriff's advisory board. A deputy had an unintended discharge inside his patrol car, right through the dash. Instead of 'fessin' up, the deputy elected to cover up the boo-boo by getting out of the card and firing several more rounds into the car, then reporting that he had been shot at. The Sheriff at that time had only one arm, but a complete brain, and he figured out pretty quickly what happened. A position for a new-hire deputy soon opened up and a Model 19 became available for sale, check at the Sheriff's office. My Dad bought it and it's been in the family ever since. I learned handgun shooting with that Model 19.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Here is a Louisville police issue .44 magnum from the 1970's with my Dad's old K&I RR hat.....I figured this would be Derby Security circa 1975 or so...

Very cool pic, you could even go back further in time.

Top Bottom