• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    In the same town no less....Bradford, PA....

Yup, one of the only things still going strong in that town. My Great-Grandfather (my father's father's father) worked at case until he retired in the 50's (after a rather interesting career that spanned steamboat pilot, truck driver, and then finally machinist). He apparently invented some sort of machine for straightening out bent blades, letting the company reduce waste.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yup, one of the only things still going strong in that town. My Great-Grandfather (my father's father's father) worked at case until he retired in the 50's (after a rather interesting career that spanned steamboat pilot, truck driver, and then finally machinist). He apparently invented some sort of machine for straightening out bent blades, letting the company reduce waste.

Thanks for sharing that beowulf...I bet he had some stories...

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    When I was Air Force Security Police in the mid 70s we were issued S & W Model 15 revolvers for our sidearms.
    Hope you don't mind my ignorance...Given that the U.S. military had been issuing 1911 automatics for many years to combat troops, what was the thinking behind issuing revolvers to military security police? Or, was this an Army vs. Air Force thing?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hope you don't mind my ignorance...Given that the U.S. military had been issuing 1911 automatics for many years to combat troops, what was the thinking behind issuing revolvers to military security police? Or, was this an Army vs. Air Force thing?
    Back in the day when they issued you a weapon, you didn't ask why. That being said, I've heard that the thinking was issuing revolvers to aviators and pilots was so that if they were injured after being downed, the weapon could be brought into action readily with just one arm/ hand. The 1911 was kept in condition 3. I'm not certain if that was really the case or if the military needed handguns and had to supplement the supply of 1911's. I do know that in my unit, they wanted aviators to turn in their 1911's and accept revolvers.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Started with a S&W model 15 in 1986 in the USAF. Purchased a S&W 686 I used as a reserve police officer early 90's. And worked for the USMS but carried a SIG 220 45. Of intrest to some the US Marshals issued gun until around 2000-02 was a 3" Ruger GP 100 with Win 145 gr Silvertip. Of course 85% carried approved autos of SIG/Glock and a very few Beretta and S&W. Then in 2002 ish Glock 22 became mandated for everyone.

I still carry a revolver a lot of the time off duty. Would not have an issue if I was mandated to carry one again.

Top Bottom