• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have been thinking about a scenario for a short time now and today it became reality. I am a lefty and since I carry on the door side as I am i driving my vehicle and my wallet is in my back left pocket I have been wondering ... if ever stopped by PD for some infraction, would it be better to just be upfront and inform prior to reaching for my wallet when asked for ID. It is my impression that an alert officer may notice the firearm and become, well, concerned. I sometimes OC and sometimes CC. I understand I am under no obligation unless first asked.
    So, driving home this morning from a 24 hr shift at the firehouse, I decided to run a red light... In my defense it looked yellow to me:):... honest...
    As I crossed the intersection I looked to the right to see PD waiting his turn for the light to turn green for him. I just started to laugh as I knew I would be getting pulled over. So on go the lights, I pull my vehicle over and put it in park. I placed my hands high on the steering wheel and waited for the introduction phase of the stop. The officer conducted himself in a professional manner and asked for the needed documents. Directly he also asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle. I said funny you ask... I was just going to inform you about a sidearm as I have to run my hand past it to get to my wallet. He said he asked the question because I had my hands on the steering wheel. After a few questions about location of weapon and wallet, he started to open my door. It was locked so I hit the button to unlock. He opened the door, joking about me winning the lottery once he saw all of my non winning scratch-off tickets in the door panel ...once I thought he was in a good position, I retrieved my wallet. He then closed the door.
    I was still joking and laughing about the situation as he left to run my info. I made an effort to remember to be mindful of what I was doing with my hands while he was in his vehicle. When he returned with a warning... he thanked me for thinking of his safety. We chatted for a short bit. He asked what I was carrying, a Glock 26, and for all you non Glock fans... he said " you can't go wrong with a Glock!!"

I was pleased with the interaction for more reasons than just the fact I received a warning. I was not eager to inform the officer... I do not feel like I am somehow giving up any rights because I am willing to inform ( yes I understand there is no requirement until I am asked)

How do the other left handed individuals who carry think about this issue?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ... I understand I am under no obligation unless first asked.

...( yes I understand there is no requirement until I am asked)

Just to clear up this misconception, there is no obligation or requirement to inform even if you are asked.

Glad you were pleased with the interaction.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just to clear up this misconception, there is no obligation or requirement to inform even if you are asked.

Glad you were pleased with the interaction.

^^This.

I decided a long time ago that as a default behavior, if I am pulled over and carrying, I will not inform other than in two circumstances. The first is that I am asked to exit the vehicle and I suspect the pistol would be found or seen. It seems to me that it's better that they know before they find it.
    The second, and far more likely, is if I'm asked for license and registration and will have to pass my hand over my gun to get to the wallet, with the same rationale:
    "Officer, my license to carry and my handgun are between my hand and the wallet. How would you like me to proceed?"

I'm not a threat to the officer and don't want to be perceived as one. I'm going to give him the choice. With that said, if I am being pulled over, most likely the wallet will be out so I don't have to put my hand near my gun with the officer present. I'll probably have my documents in hand when they get to the window.
    The converse to the sentence above in blue is that I also don't want to be disarmed as if I was some kind of violent criminal. If they don't know I have it, that's not likely.

Finally, these are my defaults, not absolutes. The circumstances of the moment may change my decisions regarding what information I give an officer as to whether I am carrying or not. The only absolute is that I won't lie to them.

Blessings,
    Bill

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Bor summed it up pretty well. Just to add, my documents that the officer would ask for are off my person and in a separate compartment which requires me to use my right hand to retrieve. My edc is carried on left hip at the 9 o'clock position so there should be no movement of my left arm/hand other than to place on the steering wheel or hang arms out the driver's side window.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I'm ambidextrous and I carry two wallets...

I have worked with LEO's for years and the vast majority of them are great people.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I choose not to inform that I carry for the fact I do not want to disarm (unless asked). Listening to Carmel PD traffic, Seems like I hear them call in firearms all the time.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    When carrying while operating a vehicle using a cross draw rig gives you much better access to your sidearm. You are not going to make a fast clean draw if your strong arm is pressed against your side by a car door or while your gun jammed against a seat belt buckle assy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My name's on a list. Doesn't really matter what I do ;)

I've only had a couple of interactions with LEOs and my ltch is viewable when I open my wallet to show my DL.
    Once was in Carmel.
    I know of no one more appreciative of LE than me.
    Though professional the officer wasn't gun friendly when he saw my pink card.
    Along with the fact I was given a ticket for a license plate expired on the 17th (due 15th) and could have been politely informed my plate had just expired I was treated with an undue attitude over my ltch.
    I avoid Carmel now so as not to frequent businesses or spend one cent in that town.
    I saw no need to catch any of the attitude.

Sour grapes maybe but that officer left a poor impression with me on my Gun ownership in HIS HOUSE.
    They don't want me... I don't want to be there.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He started opened your door? Yeah don't like that, at all. Glad the interaction was good for you, but that officer, if your door was unlocked, would have overstepped his authority.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've only had a couple of interactions with LEOs and my ltch is viewable when I open my wallet to show my DL.
    Once was in Carmel.
    I know of no one more appreciative of LE than me.
    Though professional the officer wasn't gun friendly when he saw my pink card.
    Along with the fact I was given a ticket for a license plate expired on the 17th (due 15th) and could have been politely informed my plate had just expired I was treated with an undue attitude over my ltch.
    I avoid Carmel now so as not to frequent businesses or spend one cent in that town.
    I saw no need to catch any of the attitude.

Sour grapes maybe but that officer left a poor impression with me on my Gun ownership in HIS HOUSE.
    They don't want me... I don't want to be there.

Believe it or not, we do have officers that are just plain *****. I doubt the LTCH had anything to do with it. Don't assign one negative interaction as indicative of all. There is no they, just "he" (or she).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Believe it or not, we do have officers that are just plain *****. I doubt the LTCH had anything to do with it. Don't assign one negative interaction as indicative of all. There is no they, just "he" (or she).
    Kut, I am with you on this thinking all the way buddy.
    You needed to be there on this one. It was obvious as I got the third degree on the ltch and gun.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I also got pulled over yesterday in Hendricks County. First time in over 10 years. I made no mention of firearms in the vehicle. Interaction went smooth and only took a few minutes, she was very professional. And I didn't get a ticket BOOYAH. Its the beard folks the ladies love the beard.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut, I am with you on this thinking all the way buddy.
    You needed to be there on this one. It was obvious as I got the third degree on the ltch and gun.

Ah, you had your firearm on you too? That makes more sense. We see LOTS of LTCHs, and the vast majority aren't carrying. Unfortunately there are still guys that get all "officer safety," whenever they know somebody has a gun. It's dumb, but there will be a number of guys, from ANY agency, that get needlessly spooked.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

He said he asked the question because I had my hands on the steering wheel.
    So, that makes you look suspicious? Over cautious?
    He started opened your door? Yeah don't like that, at all. Glad the interaction was good for you, but that officer, if your door was unlocked, would have overstepped his authority.
    Read it again, Kut. He did open the door.
    After a few questions about location of weapon and wallet, he started to open my door. It was locked so I hit the button to unlock. He opened the door, joking about me winning the lottery once he saw all of my non winning scratch-off tickets in the door panel ...once I thought he was in a good position, I retrieved my wallet. He then closed the door.
    Why did you unlock the door?

I was still joking and laughing about the situation as he left to run my info. I made an effort to remember to be mindful of what I was doing with my hands while he was in his vehicle. When he returned with a warning... he thanked me for thinking of his safety. We chatted for a short bit. He asked what I was carrying, a Glock 26, and for all you non Glock fans... he said " you can't go wrong with a Glock!!"

Right there he's now shown he's got some mental problems.
    But seriously, informing him didn't make anyone any more safer.

How do the other left handed individuals who carry think about this issue?
    Gun on left hip, wallet in front right pocket, doors locked, mouth shut.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    So, that makes you look suspicious? Over cautious?

my thoughts exactly. I always have hands on top of steering wheel when approached by an officer. Not that it happens a lot.

One encounter with Carmel PD, it's been 8+ years ago now. Stopped me for speeding, asked about weapons, told him where it was. Was asked to leave it there, never asked for LTCH, just DL and Registration. No ticket was given

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Lots of good info and opinions here... Thanks. I have not interacted with LE in some 10 years or more. I can see where opening my door was more than what was needed. I usually do not inform... I agree there is no need. I wrongly thought that when asked you needed to tell. Maybe I can revisit the topic in another 10 years...

Top Bottom