• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd buy one if it weren't for the $200 stamp and pain in the butt to get one. It'd be quieter when I go to the range, and everyone would be happy about that.

Only problem is.....thugs will get them and people will die in the streets with nobody knowing someone was a shooter. It would be anarchy. The wait and $200 tax solves this issue.

There's no more additional paperwork to get a silencer than there is to get your carry license.

Dealer fills out 99% of the form 4 for you. You sign a couple lines. Couple passport photos. Fingerprint cards, then you mail and wait.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    Y'all need to chill on the condescending crap. If you noticed I used the term the same way ATF does and even said "silencers/suppressors".

I have read some of the articles and I am frankly excited.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    I have done my research on acquiring a legal can but it just hasn't fallen into the budget yet. I have set upon the course to make it into the budget with some custom working being done to my carry gun. This thread is to ask about the convenience and advantages /detractors of carrying with one besides the obvious. Stay on topic and quit calling each other idiots and pointing out mistakes. If someone strays from the point ignore them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Beanblossom Bob, why would you want to carry with the extra weight and unwieldy length of a can on your weapon? I would think that in a life threatening situation you would be more interested in easy access and acquisition of the sights and target.

I own a couple that I use on rifles but never really considered a can for my carry weapon.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The only reason I would carry with a can (see what I did there? hahaha) is to reduce the hearing damage if it was shot indoors. Outdoors wouldn't be quite as bad but still can increase hearing loss. I think it would be unwieldy to carry non-concealed and probably near impossible concealed.
    Dan

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I've always been a little intimated by the process. I need to get over the hurdle and do it. The cost isn't the issue, I've just never taken that first step. Maybe after the holidays I'll jump in and get the first one out of the way. I'll be coming to ingo for the guidance on the first one. Dan

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I hope it happens. I will be putting cans on several pistols and rifles. I have one for a 22 right now and it is lots of fun to plink with. Got a Form 1 can for my 300 Blackout in its sixth month of waiting on the one person who apparently is the only one doing paperwork for the ATF... I will be swapping my 357 in favor of a 9mm or 45 in my nightstand if I can get a quick and inexpensive can. Will save everyone's hearing should I ever have to touch it off in the house.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Beanblossom Bob, why would you want to carry with the extra weight and unwieldy length of a can on your weapon? I would think that in a life threatening situation you would be more interested in easy access and acquisition of the sights and target.

I own a couple that I use on rifles but never really considered a can for my carry weapon.

There's micro cans out there that can at least take a lot of the crack out. Some use wipes too which would help and they would roughly be 4" or so

With the right gun, a micro can would be imaginable but like anything it's probably practice, training, and being used to having the extra size on your pistol

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The cost is pretty darn high to purchase one right now. However if the requirement for federal approval is removed, I feel sure the market for silencers will increase dramatically, competition will certainly increase, and the price will drop accordingly. Yeah I would sure like to purchase several at a reasonable cost. My issue right now is that I shoot several different calibers/firearms and can't possibly afford to put cans on all of them. The paperwork, long delays, but mainly high cost have prevented me from looking into purchasing any at this time.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The cost is pretty darn high to purchase one right now. However if the requirement for federal approval is removed, I feel sure the market for silencers will increase dramatically, competition will certainly increase, and the price will drop accordingly. Yeah I would sure like to purchase several at a reasonable cost. My issue right now is that I shoot several different calibers/firearms and can't possibly afford to put cans on all of them. The paperwork, long delays, but mainly high cost have prevented me from looking into purchasing any at this time.

You can accomplish anything you want with 2 or 3 cans. A 22 (rimfire can), a quick detach 30 cal can, and a .45 pistol can. Or you can get a Silencerco Hybrid that covers both the pistol and rifle requirements. You pay the tax on the can, not the gun you put it on. I run my .30 cal can on 7 different rifles. You can get a solid quick detach 30 cal can for $550 or less. A solid .45 can for $550-$650, and a solid .22 can for a little over $200

As for the prices decreasing, maybe, over a long period of time. If the tax is removed and the regulations involved in manuf. and 40 different silencer manufs. pop up over night 3 things will happen.

1) You'll get companies who think they'll offer the least expensive can as possible and sell a ton of them and they'll be rich. Then they'll learn they can't cover the cost of the machines they had to buy, can't pay payroll, can't keep up with demand, can't cover cost of warranties, customer service will go to hell, and eventually the company will go under

2) These new companies will have to start from scratch in terms of manuf. and research and development and testing. They cant just start making cans and flooding the market until they test them for strength, safety, and noise reduction. They won't want their first batch of cans splitting and failing after 500 rounds of 5.56 go through them. And no one is going to buy a loud can regardless if a tax is in place because well.....people hate wasting money

3) The companies that are established will have a huge surge of orders at first. Lot more buyers out there all of a sudden, no reason to drop price, and they're already set up with machines to make them and the facilities to make them in. The new companies that try and get huge as quick as possible will overspend trying to compete with the established makers and they'll be in a debt that will take them a long time to get out of if at all.

Over time yeah, maybe, cost will go down. Maybe. But the price of materials (aluminum, steel, stellite, inconel, titanium) will always be there and can always raise and fall. Cost of labor, cost of machines, cost of warranty, manufacturing facilities, research and development, etc. all will still be there. There's a reason why silencers cost as mush as they do (some), it's because it's still a piece of machinery that costs money to produce

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's not just the $200 - it's the need for a specially licensed dealer, the illiquidity (no FTF sales), the long wait time, the paperwork and fees, the limits on use (i.e. you can't loan it out to friend for a week), etc., etc.

Sadly, much of Europe is ahead of us on this.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's not just the $200 - it's the need for a specially licensed dealer, the illiquidity (no FTF sales), the long wait time, the paperwork and fees, the limits on use (i.e. you can't loan it out to friend for a week), etc., etc.

Sadly, much of Europe is ahead of us on this.

There's a lot of dealers that pay the SOT each year to sell suppressors. They're not hard to find anymore.

Liquidity? You can completely sell to another individual in your same state, but you have to fill out a form 4 and wait until the stamp comes back but the good thing, you get paid first and you sit on it until the stamp comes back. So if you really need money, you'll get it, but you'll just have to store it for a bit.

Buying new, the dealer does 99% of the paperwork. As for the fees? Which are you referring to?

Limits of use, that's what the trust is for. If you have a trust, and your friend is a responsible person on your trust, you can completely "loan" it out to him for a week at a time, it's partly his property after all using a trust

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's a lot of dealers that pay the SOT each year to sell suppressors. They're not hard to find anymore.

Liquidity? You can completely sell to another individual in your same state, but you have to fill out a form 4 and wait until the stamp comes back but the good thing, you get paid first and you sit on it until the stamp comes back. So if you really need money, you'll get it, but you'll just have to store it for a bit.

Buying new, the dealer does 99% of the paperwork. As for the fees? Which are you referring to?

Limits of use, that's what the trust is for. If you have a trust, and your friend is a responsible person on your trust, you can completely "loan" it out to him for a week at a time, it's partly his property after all using a trust

Why do you hate freedom?

Okimeister

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Would be my guess if they did away with having to get a Tax Stamp and you could just buy them off the shelf...prices would probably almost double for a while...Supply and demand!!!
    With that said, I wonder if we could get a refunds on the ones purchased prior to!...LOL

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I hope they are removed from the nfa, I won't fork out the money just to wait for a year and have to deal with paperwork, trusts, etc. Not worth it to me, but ymmv. To much red tape.

Etaylor2291

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Lebanon
    Does anyone think the price will go down if suppressors are removed from the NFA? I just do not understand why they are so expensive.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Does anyone think the price will go down if suppressors are removed from the NFA? I just do not understand why they are so expensive.

Define expensive, there's suppressors in almost any price range now.

Research and development
    Payroll
    Rent/mortage
    Cost of machine
    Cost of Materials
    Warranty
    Advertising

Companies have to make profit in order to grow and expand, offer a solid warranty and customer service, develop new and better products, etc. Same goes for every industry.

You can always make your own. Form 1 in and pay the $200 tax to manuf if you think you can build a better one for less

Top Bottom