• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I'm in the same boat. I suppose I can't understand the current pricing of suppressors/silencers. The $200 tax stamp is ridiculous in my opinion, but I don't see from a manufacturing standpoint what would cause a suppressor/silencer to cost as much as if not more than a firearm. Perhaps I do not know enough about the structure or manufacure of suppressors/silencers, it just seems like creating a firearm with very small intricate moving parts would be more expensive than just a single piece attachment.

Any additional knowledge would be really appreciated.

Also as for tax stamps, does one tax stamp cover you for everything from full auto weapons to suppressors or is it one tax stamp per weapon or suppressor?

Thanks!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm in the same boat. I suppose I can't understand the current pricing of suppressors/silencers. The $200 tax stamp is ridiculous in my opinion, but I don't see from a manufacturing standpoint what would cause a suppressor/silencer to cost as much as if not more than a firearm. Perhaps I do not know enough about the structure or manufacure of suppressors/silencers, it just seems like creating a firearm with very small intricate moving parts would be more expensive than just a single piece attachment.

Any additional knowledge would be really appreciated.

Also as for tax stamps, does one tax stamp cover you for everything from full auto weapons to suppressors or is it one tax stamp per weapon or suppressor?

Thanks!

Using Silencerco as an example, they have a lifetime warranty with a 48 hour turn around time. Does that warranty service come cheap? Hell do even gun manuf. offer such a warranty? "Lifetime" maybe (if they still have parts, made after a specific date, etc.) but 48 hour turn around? I can't think of any warranty, from ANY walk of life, that offers a lifetime with a 48 hour turn around time.

Silencers are not limited to 1 gun (unless you buy dedicated cans or your can is pin and welded to the barrel). Say you get a 30 cal can that costs $700, and you run it on say 8 different guns. Is the $700 really that bad? 45 suppressors being used on 45, 40, 10mm, 9mm, and subsonic 300blk

Each NFA item requires a form 1 or a form 4, it's a $200 tax per item to manuf., or it's a $200 tax per transfer. In the case of the form 4 it is the exact paperwork as a machine gun, SBR, SBS, or AOW. Same form, and with the exemption of AOWs it's the same tax. But each NFA item there is a tax involved.

There's been plenty of inexpensive/cheaper suppressors come to market. The companies either go under or the customer service goes to hell (and one or two have just taken customers' money and ran). The companies that have been around a while, yeah their cans cost more, but they can actually pay their bills and pay people good money to work for them and they can stick around in the marketplace to support their customers and products and come out with new and better designs

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I think prices overall would drop, but you'll still pay more for a quality part. If suppressors become easy to get, more people will buy them. With increased sales comes economy of scale and more competition.

Because of paperwork, tax stamps and long waits suppressors are generally toys and tools of those more well off. They would quickly become tools for more normal folks who can't afford them or don't want the hassle. I know I'd have some.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As to the cost, don't forget the manufacturer has to deal with the BATFE too.

Then there's some ecomonies of scale at play here. Cost will drop if their volume increases. But until then...

And these devices are mode to take a lot of abuse and still function for a lifetime.

As to cost after a delisting, not a whole lot of change depending on BATFE laws around manufacturing.

The price however...
    I wouldn't expect too much of a price increase (we tend to vilify companies that do that), but demand will skyrocket until manufacturers ramp up production and new companies enter the market.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if this happens (IF) I see two things happening
    1st demand and price go up and availability go's down

then

2nd availability go's up and price go's down

once the hassle for manufacturing, dealing, and purchasing go down, then you'll see a suppressor company explosion! everybody will start making them, gun manufacture's already have the equipment to make them, they just don't due to the hassle,I mean right now, ruger, sig sauer, and remington(aac) already make cans, surefire makes cans, I mean people make cans from mag lite flashlights!, could you imaging the price on a mag lite made suppressor?

once smith, springfield, colt realize that they'll be able to sell gun/suppressor combo's they'll all start making them!

imagine going into a shop, buying a fn 45 tactical with a fn made suppressor, packaged in the same box (you're saving packaging costs)

ruger already sell a sr22 with a thread adaptor in the box, and they make suppressors (the can will fit in the box with the gun, there's enough room!)

but right now, the first thing will be to contact your senators/congressman and let them know that you are in support of this, but wait till year, both bills are going to die (senate and congressional versions) and will have to be introduced next year when the new people are sworn in.

Donald Trump unveils ?Second Amendment Coalition?

and if you clicky the linky it'll give you info on mr trumps second amendment collation, and the ceo of silencerco has been named to the group!

Top Bottom