• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Was just told that people who are upset or fearful about the election are panic buying ARs at local gun stores?
    1. Do you think that's true? (please share observations)
    2. Isn't such behavior a little overblown?
    3. If you could only buy 1 gun post election, what would it be?
    1) Probably true
    2) Possibly, my concern isn't that they will "Ban" AR's or similar guns due to the Rep. controlled house. However the cost of these weapons have been kept somewhat lower due to Imports. I am not sure what powers the BATF has to halt importation of these guns (and all foreign ammo) without any congressional action? Any actions of this nature would certainly shorten the supply and also massively increase the price of certain rifles and handguns.
    3) Not sure - however I may purchase a stripped receiver or two and some more mil surplus ammo. Don't really need anything but may be a pretty good investment.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yes, folks are panic buying up all the evil black rifles and 5.56 ammo they can get their hands on.

They are fools, often paying a hefty premium to what something was priced at on November 5th...but its happening all the same.

My sincerest hope is that the idiots don't cause a component shortage like they did in early 2009...finding bullets, brass, primers and powder (especially Varget) was friggin' impossible for MONTHS.

StorminJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Bloomington
    2) Probably; I think there is very little chance right now of anything happening legislatively with regard to a gun ban. BUT we see such behavior just about every time some dumbass politician opens his mouth about it; I think some folks are just looking for an excuse to justify buying more guns (not a bad thing).

3) Are you looking for suggestions? :)

Response to Bradis #2: I'm not worried about the legislature because the GOP controls the House. I'm only marginally worried about the Supreme Court. Basically, if you can replace one of the 5 conservatives, you can roll back the 2nd Amendment. The UN story is concerning, but the Dems only have 54 votes. Treaties have to be ratified by 2/3rds.

Response to #3: Why yes...I am looking for 2 guns and I've got money (which is almost as good as cash). I need a rifle and a shotgun. I'm frozen to inaction on the rifle because I can't even decide whether I want a .223 or a .308. I've always favored .308, but the POF-USA .308 is about $600 more. On the shotgun I'm frozen to inaction because I know a Mossberg 500 would do just fine, but I keep getting taunted with all the new tactical rifles that are coming out (such as the KSG). Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm really leaning hard toward POF-USA, but would love other suggestions.)

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    what could the govt possibly do though? are they seriously thinking that by ordering a black rifle ban that citizens would just hand them over? im not asking if you would just hand your rifles over to them but in todays time just by going to my local DNR its crazy just how many people own an AK or an AR.

so i ask for those of you who may have the answer. what could they do to those of us who have spare lowers? if they were to pass the high capacity magazine ban what would they do to all of us who have a bunch of magpul p mags?

its public threads like these that get started and gives the govt ideas on how to beat us.

stay frosty my friends :ar15:

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    My understanding is the only worry (if there is one) is the United Nations small arms treaty. The administration has signaled that it is for it. As you know, treaties are supposed to be ratified by 2/3 of the Senate. However, some fear that other nations would view us as bound if the President signed on to it, regardless of ratification.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    what could the govt possibly do though? are they seriously thinking that by ordering a black rifle ban that citizens would just hand them over? im not asking if you would just hand your rifles over to them but in todays time just by going to my local DNR its crazy just how many people own an AK or an AR.

so i ask for those of you who may have the answer. what could they do to those of us who have spare lowers? if they were to pass the high capacity magazine ban what would they do to all of us who have a bunch of magpul p mags?

its public threads like these that get started and gives the govt ideas on how to beat us.

stay frosty my friends :ar15:

People did in California

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    I've seen a bunch of facebook posts from friends who did not own firearms stating they are intending to purchase one now. granted, many of them are my NY friends who are considering getting one after the hurricane looting and crime happenings over there, but I doubt there's a HUGE spike. Most of us who weren't happy with what "change and hope" was offering seemed to have dived in well-before this election.

As for what I want? hm, I have AR and AK platforms already. I would say a shorter barrel 12 ga that is set up more for home defense vs. hunting/skeet. And more AMMO. Always need more ammo!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Actially just sold my AR15 to a family member. It was a panic buy from the last time the modern massiah was elected.

It was never really what i wanted - just what was available. I think i will build myself a retro style rifle here soon. Nodak Spud has some very tempting Armalite prototype uppers and furniture that have caught my eye.

I have purchased an Enfield carbine and Mosin carbine in the last few days. A Steyr carbine and a Mas 49 will hopefully follow soon.

tucson26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Northest Indy
    Was just told that people who are upset or fearful about the election are panic buying ARs at local gun stores?

1. I think it is true.....
    2. I don't think it is overblown at all. This administration has proven over and over it says one thing while doing another. (I.e. Ben Ghazi ) Just because he needs a 2/3's, I don't think it would stop Obama. He has already said what he can't do through congress he will do through executive order. There are ways to get around something when you want it. Even if it doesn't happen, I think a more armed American citizen guarantees a free-er America.
    3. A good .308 with a scope

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I'm sure that some panic buying is taking place, especially on items that might be affected by a reinstated assault weapons ban. However, I see that as a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think any new gun control legislation will make it through congress (hopefully).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I would have said "not true" before today. We've got about half the AR inventory we had just in two days. We normally don't move them that fast, but man there's a LOT of empty spaces there today!!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would have said "not true" before today. We've got about half the AR inventory we had just in two days. We normally don't move them that fast, but man there's a LOT of empty spaces there today!!

When I was in bradis the other day, they were actually pretty mild in there. The shelves were very well stocked, didn't notice any lack of inventory around.

If anything, there was more than usual.

Maybe they can just stock the shelves as fast as they sell? Either way, I don't think anyone will have trouble getting what they want right now. This sure as hell isn't as bad as it was last time around.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I was in bradis the other day, they were actually pretty mild in there. The shelves were very well stocked, didn't notice any lack of inventory around.

If anything, there was more than usual.

Maybe they can just stock the shelves as fast as they sell? Either way, I don't think anyone will have trouble getting what they want right now. This sure as hell isn't as bad as it was last time around.

True enough. Logged in quite a few space takers for replacements today. ;)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    1) Yes
    2) Two friends bought 6 AR's in a matter of hours on Saturday and they both own 1 each already. Then a retired art teacher we know, mom of one of the AR buyers, bought a G19! An artsy fartsy happy go lucky retired art teacher who has NEVER owned a gun in the 35 years I have known her.
    3) One gun? I can't think like that. I just got off the phone and was talking about 3 or 4 Glocks but they were on my list before the election.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    1. yes
    2. not to overblown IMO, top military officials retiring, others being investigated, a prez that thinks that executive order trumps all, and look at the people jumping ship.
    3. .50 BMG, but i have wanted one for a few years, so unless one heck of a deal comes up, it will stay a want.

Top Bottom