• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    On the internet, no one knows you are a dog.

Seriously. Its the anonymity. Folks can spout off any random opinion, with little to no repercussions.

This board is pretty tame. I'm on another board mostly as a lurker, as it can get downright brutal.

Yeah try to talk about your sub $2000 AR on M4carbine.net. You'll be pronounced pathetically unprepared, declared dead meat, then laughed out of the group.

Personally, I don't need that kind of nonsense and don't try to join those sites.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There really are forums inhabited, for the most part, by people who don't take a lot of pleasure in snarkiness and contrar...whatever that was. I know of two but this isn't one of them. OTOH, this one is minor league snarky compared to some I've seen.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The explanation is in these screenshots:

https://m.imgur.com/a/Gjcb5

A guy name Rob trolls a guy named Brendan. On one occasion Brendan rates Fight Club 5/7, which apparently is 100% according to him. It's some of the finest trolling since Al Gore invented the Internet.

I just read this whole thing, I'm crying from laughter now.

To the OP: What about thread jacking? :D

Kidding!

But seriously: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/430288-dpms-lr308-oracle-review.html

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Trying not to add the snark. I wonder if folks with fairly general frequently asked questions have thought of using search to see if the same question was answered in thorough detail last month? Maybe a thread already working, ready to jump into?

Not justifying rudeness, but how many repetitive $600 AR or $200 optic threads do there need to be?

Last edited:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Trying not to add the snark. I wonder if folks with fairly general frequently asked questions have thought of using search to see if the same question was answered in thorough detail last month? Maybe a thread already working, ready to jump into?

Not justifying rudeness, but how many repetitive $600 AR or $200 optic threads do there need to be?

To be fair to the OP, have you tried searching AR related threads? It's a bit like reading a dictionary to find that one word you can't quite remember...

I'm not saying you shouldn't try searching first, just that finding what you're looking for isn't always easy.

Perhaps we we need a thread called "Is there a thread for this?"

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To be fair to the OP, have you tried searching AR related threads? It's a bit like reading a dictionary to find that one word you can't quite remember...

I'm not saying you shouldn't try searching first, just that finding what you're looking for isn't always easy.

Perhaps we we need a thread called "Is there a thread for this?"

I understand. I'm not being critical of anyone, just offering advice.

Yes, I search AR threads frequently. I have an AR or two and a couple under construction. There are folks who are very well versed at this who have posted info in great detail. Why would I ask them to re-post or dig out what has been posted before? I'm happy to post a question in a working thread seeking further detail.

Again not poking anyone, it seems as though part of the difficulty in searching is the vast amount of repetition. A lot of the most knowledgeable posters are just wore out on very general topics that they have discussed tens, if not hundreds of times.

Last edited:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

While I understand this idea, it can sometimes be counterproductive for newer members to add a question to older threads. For example, if the question that someone has was answered over a year ago and that person asks for clarification about someone's response, then, if that person is new, he will be accused of posting a necro post and be accused of "running." But, as many pointed out here, if he posts a new thread, he's lazy and didn't try looking. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I don't know about others but, I have horrible luck with forum searches. Maybe I need to do a search on how to search. Lol. For example, looking for info on a 308 ar15, send you type that in, it brings up every ar15 thread and every 308 thread. I just typed in "Glock 10mm" in the search box and one of the first threads was for a Winchester squirrel rifle, and a few others on CZ's.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    While I understand this idea, it can sometimes be counterproductive for newer members to add a question to older threads. For example, if the question that someone has was answered over a year ago and that person asks for clarification about someone's response, then, if that person is new, he will be accused of posting a necro post and be accused of "running." But, as many pointed out here, if he posts a new thread, he's lazy and didn't try looking. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

^^ This

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Or instead of getting upset about the responses you get and posting a rant you could try to understand that most of the responses are intended to be helpful and put a bit more effort into the question to get a more helpful response. For example instead of posting a generic question about .308 ARs under $1000 you could instead post something more like:

"I'm interested in .308 ARs and I have a firm budget of $1000. I have considered building my own but am not ready to tackle such a build yet and the cost of necessary tools would likely eat up most or all of the savings inherent in building my own. I have done some research and see that brand X, Y, and Z are in my price range and I have seen read/watched reviews on them. I'm leaning toward X. Are there any other brands I should consider? What are your opinions of these brands and is there any reason to reconsider the choice I'm leaning toward?"

You will definitely get better responses if you put in a bit more effort, though you will still likely get some unhelpful comments. Remember to that sometimes the best advice is the advice you least want to hear/read.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most forum search engines are fairly terrible. I have better luck using Google to search a site. For example, if I were search for AR-15 builds on ingo, I would go to Google and type in:
    "AR-15 Build site:ingunowners.com"

MUCH better results, especially if you use good search terms.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Most forum search engines are fairly terrible. I have better luck using Google to search a site. For example, if I were search for AR-15 builds on ingo, I would go to Google and type in:
    "AR-15 Build site:ingunowners.com"

MUCH better results, especially if you use good search terms.
    It has to be better than the built in search on the forum, it certainly can't be worse...

Top Bottom