• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The trick is to load so you get the performance that you want WITHOUT making the Glock "smiley" on the case. The way to do that is to find a powder that gives you the velocity you want, with the lowest pressure possible. MOST of the time, case fill will be better because you are using a slower powder. Slower burning powders usually need more in the case, i.e. more weight too, so a double charge is nearly impossible.

Go to data.hodgdon.com, look up the 40S&W. Choose the weight of bullet that you want, and then look at the velocity/pressure ratings. Tell us what you find. I already know as I have loaded successfully for a Glock 22 for more than a few years now.

Without going there myself, I can tell you what you will see. With a 180gr bullet, Longshot gives the highest velocity and well below the normal operating pressure for the cartridge. SR4756 is second and was my powder of choice for my load. Mainly because I already had 4lbs of it and no Longshot! ;) When you get a 180gr bullet to go 1000fps (well within 20fps anyway) and the pressure is 4,000psi below maximum for the round, that my dear friend is what is known as a win/win. ;)

Lots of other powders to choose from too, ya just gotta do a little research. If you have a reloading manual, look there too.

Hope this helps.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've used many different type of powder but keep coming back to Unique for most of my non-magnum handgun loads. Reliable, inexpensive, easy to find. Last purchase was 4 lbs for $59.00.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I will do some more research and give your suggestions a go, and see what works best for me. Thanks for all of your advice and help.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom