• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was trained by better to do a press check. I’ll probably do them till I die.
    You can do them in the dark too.

Like you when we were in, it was the 1911, it had no indicator, hence doing Press Checks.
    Sitting next to me is a son of mine that went through Parris in 2018, He went through Combat Marksmanship School in 2019 is where he shot a M9 with the MC for the first time. They were taught Press Checks still. Interesting with the M9 having an indicator.
    He says on most pistols the red paint on the indicator was worn off.

He suggested of one way to do a press check in the dark.
    Point your pistol into a mirror and look at the reflection into the muzzle. See that bullet in there? If not improve the lighting with a flashlight.

Yep, hes my son.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't think I'd own a gun that stuck out-of-battery if the slide were gently retracted.

This activates the disconnector and prevents the pistol from firing.

Things happen in fights, and I can easily imagine a pistol being pressed from the front prior to needing to be fired.
    That post should be in the Real World Problem Thread.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have two M&P's and as previously stated, there is a hole on top to see if there is a chambered round so no press check is required. Now I have never been in the military but I am sure they train to a specific platform. Not all guns are the same which is why it is important to know the idiosyncrasies of the one in your hand which is why I wouldn't own some older S&W's. The type that has a safety opposite of which I am used to that needs to be pushed up to fire rather than down like a 1911, M&P and others.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I also don't carry gun designs that have firing pin block safeties. Probably just paranoid.

Where is this thread you speak of? I've not seen it.
    Paranoid,,, lol

It was a joke.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Slide can be opened enough to insert finger and confirm a round is chambered by tactile feel in the dark.
    I can do it in the dark without pulling the slide back. Right hole fingers touch the ejection port and feel the extractor. Yep its popped out... Or Nope it's not.

Member that old Clint movie line, In all the confusion, did I shoot five or six?????

I can feel I still have one in the pipe, and then grab a fresh mag and do a mag change with the one in the pipe.
    Your way, you drop the pistol down to check and once you've pulled the slide out of battery your out of the game. And spent to much time coon fingering your pistol.

Sometimes, a few seconds matter.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I can do it in the dark without pulling the slide back. Right hole fingers touch the ejection port and feel the extractor. Yep its popped out... Or Nope it's not.

Member that old Clint movie line, In all the confusion, did I shoot five or six?????

I can feel I still have one in the pipe, and then grab a fresh mag and do a mag change with the one in the pipe.
    Your way, you drop the pistol down to check and once you've pulled the slide out of battery your out of the game. And spent to much time coon fingering your pistol.

Sometimes, a few seconds matter.

I think that's probably an unlikely scenario. I don't think you are press checking in the middle of a gun fight. Is the slide locked back? put in a fresh mag. Is it not? tactical reload. Press check is done when it's purely administrative.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Your way, you drop the pistol down to check and once you've pulled the slide out of battery your out of the game. ...

I don't do it this way (as you assume). Merely pointing out that a press check can, indeed, be done in the dark for those who have a need. Tactile LCIs are a great option.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Without getting into a debate on press check/no press check, I have a question on mechanics. Compare these two guns: 4" PDP-F and M&P Compact. When I press check the M&P, it will not auto return to battery. The pressure from the cartridges (I am assuming) in the mag creates enough friction to prevent it. It easily returns to battery without the mag in. The PDP easily returns to battery even with a loaded mag. The reason I find this interesting is that the F has a much weaker recoil spring in it. I would think it would be the other way around. Why do some guns handle press checks without having to tap the slide back into battery while others do not?

View attachment 291698
    There are a number of different things happening in the moments before going into battery. The big factors are barrel hood engaging, barrel moving forward and tilting into position, disconnector, some LCI's, these along with the friction of the ammo and strong mag springs are what stop it.

Polish the friction surfaces smooth is where I would start if I was wanting to try to stop this. No guarantees that you can even stop it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As for why it would happen, there's a lot more than just the last round in the mag pushing up. How it's pushing up, the angle/shape of the bottom of the slide where it's pushing up, how smooth the bottom surface of the slide is where it's pushing, how smooth the rails are countering that force, etc etc.

I think that's probably an unlikely scenario. I don't think you are press checking in the middle of a gun fight. Is the slide locked back? put in a fresh mag. Is it not? tactical reload. Press check is done when it's purely administrative.
    Kinda where I am, if you have time to do a press check, you have time to check it afterwards (or train to press it home again automatically after the check)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK, I am open to other scenarios. Could you provide one?

Movie actor...

giphy.gif

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    All this hubbub about if it's loaded, it's always loaded isn't it. IF there's a magazine in it there's never a question in my mind if the pistol I'm carrying is loaded but maybe I'm weird.

Maybe I just need to re-think my SOP. I would like to say that's always the case for me and I have talked with other folks that have a similar mindset (e.g. if it's in the house and out of the safe, it's loaded) but I have scenarios where that just isn't the case. E.g. i have occasions where I have to go out and cannot carry on-body so I will put a handgun in my soft sided brief case (has a quick access carry pocket in it). There is no holster mechanism in there so the gun goes in with mag but no round chambered. Not ideal but that's what I do.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    All this hubbub about if it's loaded, it's always loaded isn't it. IF there's a magazine in it there's never a question in my mind if the pistol I'm carrying is loaded but maybe I'm weir

All this hubbub about if it's loaded, it's always loaded isn't it. IF there's a magazine in it there's never a question in my mind if the pistol I'm carrying is loaded but maybe I'm weird.
    I don't know if you are any weirder than the rest of us, but I partially disagree. Of course from a safety standpoint you are correct, however, a number of the more shall we say tactical trainers that I have taken classes from emphasize that all gun handling begins an ends with a chamber check. Now. This wouldn't have to be an actual physical chamber check as we're talking about. It could be using the LCI on the gun but nonetheless this is heavily taught.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't know if you are any weirder than the rest of us, but I partially disagree. Of course from a safety standpoint you are correct, however, a number of the more shall we say tactical trainers that I have taken classes from emphasize that all gun handling begins an ends with a chamber check. Now. This wouldn't have to be an actual physical chamber check as we're talking about. It could be using the LCI on the gun but nonetheless this is heavily taught.

Not speaking for NHT3 but I think he is saying that if there is a mag in his gun, there is going to be a round in the chamber and that he never has an unloaded gun with a mag in. Not referring to the safety rule "all guns are always loaded".

Top Bottom