• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    OK, I am open to other scenarios. Could you provide one?
    Ok, Easy.
    One is working the Ivory Coast, and have been actively engaged for a few hours at this point and its getting dark. Its close work and you've banged off a bunch out of your pistol and I'm not sure whats left in the mag. One is left handed, so they use their right two hole fingers and feel the loaded indicator and it tells them they have at least one in the chute. With knowing that, one can swap out mags and be back with a full load. The used mag goes in a pocket if I'm busy and if i'm not busy I flip that mags top round around so I know its not full.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Ok, Easy.
    One is working the Ivory Coast, and have been actively engaged for a few hours at this point and its getting dark. Its close work and you've banged off a bunch out of your pistol and I'm not sure whats left in the mag. One is left handed, so they use their right two hole fingers and feel the loaded indicator and it tells them they have at least one in the chute. With knowing that, one can swap out mags and be back with a full load. The used mag goes in a pocket if I'm busy and if i'm not busy I flip that mags top round around so I know its not full.

I think they're having trouble imagining press-check in an average defensive scenario, not war.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    One would think thats were most lessons are learned from.

Maybe.

The average (if there is such a thing) defensive shooting is over quickly. It's not a sustained firefight in which one has occasion to press-check.

I'm not military though, and am not overly familiar with their tactics.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    @nucular , you said your M&P returns to battery if unloaded, but not with a full mag inserted? Have you tried a mag with just 2 rounds in it?
    A lot of M&P mags (especially the Shields) have very high spring tension, the kind that makes them hard to load to full capacity. It usually decreases to a tolerable level after a break in period. Could just be too much pressure/friction on the slide.

Just a half-assed guess. :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I press check at least once a day. Top of the day for sure, before pressing out to a "target" a couple/three times. Then the G19 goes in the holster for the day or until a need to take it out.

I've never had a Glock that didn't return to battery, but I never trust any pistol after press checking. Always a palm tap to the back of the slide.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    @nucular , you said your M&P returns to battery if unloaded, but not with a full mag inserted? Have you tried a mag with just 2 rounds in it?
    A lot of M&P mags (especially the Shields) have very high spring tension, the kind that makes them hard to load to full capacity. It usually decreases to a tolerable level after a break in period. Could just be too much pressure/friction on the slide.

Just a half-assed guess. :dunno:

I did some tests. If I download it by 3 rounds, it will return to battery. Still not as positively as the PDP but it does return. The mag also goes in without having to slam it in.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    ..... but I never trust any pistol after press checking. Always a palm tap to the back of the slide.
    This always. Just not as stylish as that Marine in the video....

My three M&P pistols I carry all return to battery after a press check. But I've had each for several years and shot thousands of rounds through each of them. Compact 9mm, sub-compact 9mm and Shield 357sig (.40 with 357 barrel).

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Why are we doing a press check on M&P's? I've got 2 and I can see that they are loaded from looking down into the action

I can understand a 1911 or another make that you need to do a press check but not an M&P. I've always been one to think that any unnecessary handling on any firearm may lead to an AD.

55049f0d4a688ce4c5d43dfc5289f7ba.jpg

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Why are we doing a press check on M&P's? I've got 2 and I can see that they are loaded from looking down into the action

I can understand a 1911 or another make that you need to do a press check but not an M&P. I've always been one to think that any unnecessary handling on any firearm may lead to an AD.

55049f0d4a688ce4c5d43dfc5289f7ba.jpg
    There is something in your little hole! :lmfao:

BTW my M&P 2.0 compact does not return to battery same as the op's.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    My 2.0 Compact does not always return to battery just like others here. Usually when I haven't cleaned in a 1000 rounds or so.

But I really have quit doing them on the m&p.
    Only time I do manual press check is in a dimly lit food court before doing battle. So not very often. :cool:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was trained by better to do a press check. I’ll probably do them till I die.
    You can do them in the dark too.

You will probably die sooner rather than later if you over exaggerate looking left and then get shot on the right, or vice versa. Never in my time in the Corps was I taught to do a press check or magazine check after each drill. It was purely administrative or in the case of getting handed a weapon condition unknown. Also try doing a press check in the dark outside without moonlight, not in mom's basement and let us know how it works out for you. 0352

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I do a visual before strapping on the gun each day. The one time I didn't I ran around all week in South Florida without one in the pipe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My carry pistols are always loaded, in or out of the safe. Press check for me is as much about working the slide a dab (to make sure it will,) as verifying a chambered round. It's all a redundant process for knowing my pistols are always ready to grab and go. No checks needed if time doesn't warrant it. And certainly no press checks needed in the middle of seriously needing them. :n00b:

The simply designed Glock loaded chamber indicator can be seen visually or felt with either hand in the dark, (although a fair amount of folks don't even know there is one.) :)

20230810_214125.jpg

Last edited:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    You will probably die sooner rather than later if you over exaggerate looking left and then get shot on the right, or vice versa. Never in my time in the Corps was I taught to do a press check or magazine check after each drill. It was purely administrative or in the case of getting handed a weapon condition unknown. Also try doing a press check in the dark outside without moonlight, not in mom's basement and let us know how it works out for you. 0352
    I was an 1811 (armor crewman) in the Marine Corps from 1985-1989. I was issued a 1911A1. We didn't do press checks. We also didn't have a combat pistol course. I qualified once a fiscal year with the pistol and with the M16A2. Our pistol qualification consisted of bullseye targets at 15 and 25 yards.

Top Bottom