• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    It is nice to see the price of primers starting to ease down a little. Not long ago I couldn't find any less than about $90 per box of 1000.

I just purchased 2000 CCI small pistol (500's) for $65 per thousand. Ordered Friday and got them today (Tuesday.)

Link here: https://republicammunition.com/product/cci-small-pistol-primers/

I also bought 1000 Ginex brand at $5 less per thousand just to see how they are. What I read online sounds like they perform perfectly well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pre panic average price was $35 per 1000 locally for major names like CCI or Winchester.

I'd estimate that the new normal once everything settles out will be in the range of $45-50 per 1000. (pure inflation) When there are no longer any panic situations that will cause ammo production to run full bore 24/7, that is where I think it will settle out.

Still a decent price all things considered.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Pre panic average price was $35 per 1000 locally for major names like CCI or Winchester.

I'd estimate that the new normal once everything settles out will be in the range of $45-50 per 1000. (pure inflation) When there are no longer any panic situations that will cause ammo production to run full bore 24/7, that is where I think it will settle out.

+40% over 2018/19 seems to be where most things are settling. Coincidentally, around the exact amount by which the Fed increased the money supply to pay for the covid spending spree.

40% tax every time you buy something, hope we all enjoyed the "free money".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    +40% over 2018/19 seems to be where most things are settling. Coincidentally, around the exact amount by which the Fed increased the money supply to pay for the covid spending spree.

40% tax every time you buy something, hope we all enjoyed the "free money".
    No doubt.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It'll be interesting to watch the big name primer manufacturers. How much are they on the side of economical pricing to the customer vs immediate self interest?

I've not lost track of the Federal debacle of creating and merchandising a new pistol round amidst a massive SPP/9mm ammo shortage. :xmad:

:popcorn:

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    It'll be interesting to watch the big name primer manufacturers. How much are they on the side of economical pricing to the customer vs immediate self interest?

I've not lost track of the Federal debacle of creating and merchandising a new pistol round amidst a massive SPP/9mm ammo shortage. :xmad:

:popcorn:
    That's one reason I'm trying the new primer brand. Potentially saving $5 on 1000 primers doesn't seem like a lot but if they turn out to be just as good then I'm willing to reward the lower-cost manufacturer. Maybe in a microscopic way (like one grain of sand on a beach) it will help bring the prices down overall.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    It is nice to see the price of primers starting to ease down a little. Not long ago I couldn't find any less than about $90 per box of 1000.

I just purchased 2000 CCI small pistol (500's) for $65 per thousand. Ordered Friday and got them today (Tuesday.)

Link here: https://republicammunition.com/product/cci-small-pistol-primers/

I also bought 1000 Ginex brand at $5 less per thousand just to see how they are. What I read online sounds like they perform perfectly well.

This is very good news indeed!
    Unfortunately it is not across the board.
    EG: CCI #450 (I use for 300BLK) are still $95/100 on that site^^^.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I got into reloading late so I've never seen small pistol CCI 500s for less than $90 for 1k :toilet2:

I'm glad it's getting better :shoot:will be able to reload more and mag dump for cheap now

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I can usually find primers at the local sportsman's for 55-60 per brick. SPP, LPP, and SRP are usually available - small rifle magnum still seems to be scarce. Still far away from the 25-30 they were not that long ago.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    ***Warning, old man story*****. It does not seem that long ago when I was paying $11.50 for Winchester large pistol primers. I found myself at a shop in Michigan city and he raised the price to $12.99. I thought that was high and asked him about it. In his gruff manor, he told me I should start buying stuff elsewhere. I never went back.

The last ton of number 7-1/2 shot four of us ordered came in at $14.50 a bag. The ton we had bought before that was right at $12. We were offended.

You never know what you have until it is gone.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Started reloading I paid $4.00 a bag --Today it cost me to trap shoot, 95 cents a shot, 43cents for the reload and 53 cents for the bird.
    I am not reloading shotshells right now, just buying whatever I can find and I am Paying about $11 a box.

The bad part is that I have to shoot what I can get. Monday I had to shoot 1-1/8 ounce Winchester heavy loads at a couple rounds of singles. I used to load a gentle 1150 fps, 1 oz load that didn't kick very much, and they hit fine.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    ***Warning, old man story*****. It does not seem that long ago when I was paying $11.50 for Winchester large pistol primers. I found myself at a shop in Michigan city and he raised the price to $12.99. I thought that was high and asked him about it. In his gruff manor, he told me I should start buying stuff elsewhere. I never went back.

The last ton of number 7-1/2 shot four of us ordered came in at $14.50 a bag. The ton we had bought before that was right at $12. We were offended.

You never know what you have until it is gone.
    If I could send an email back in time to myself, one of the many things I would say would be to buy all the primers I can at $35 per brick pre-covid.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Retail is now $57.95 for Eagle and $65.43 for Lawrence. Pre-Covid it was around $42. Who knew that lead would be a much better investment than gold or silver?

True4ever909

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2023
    fort wayne

Top Bottom