• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is a silly question, but where can I find pistol prices at?

I've never purchased a gun before and I am doing some research into finding what I want to purchase for my first. I've fired a few different ones and I still have a lot of work to do before I narrow down what I really want in the end, but I can't seem to find a website that has prices listed. I suppose I could always drive to different shops, but that doesn't seem to be very efficient and I have a feeling that prices can vary $100 or more for the same gun from one shop to another.

Currently, I'm interested in Glock 19 Gen 4, Smith & Wesson M&P 9c or similar handguns (compact, 9mm, double-stack, striker-fired) and I'd like to get some idea of costs before I get my heart set on one.

Have you been watching the INGO classifieds Josh? It's kind of turned into where I've bought all of my guns in recent history. Let others pay the brand new pricing and taxes?

My advice to new gun shoppers in recent years; Buy what the majority of LEO agencies issue. Kind of like buying a Chevy or Ford, tons of availability of factory and aftermarket parts, accessories and related gear. You can always specialize later on.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I really like Buds Guns online. I also use GunWatcher.com and slick guns. The classified prices here are often higher for a used gun than you can buy the same gun for brand new elsewhere (I won't give any examples for fear of making some people mad but do your research before impulse buying). Then when you find some guns in your price structure you can go to a shooting range (like Point Blank for example) that might have some of the guns you want and you can rent them and shoot them & try them out and see what you like best before buying. Personally, if you are just starting to get into handguns and want to learn how to shoot maybe try a semi-auto .22LR and then work up to larger caliber. Or if you want to learn and still go self defense start with a 9mm like Ruger SR9c, or a Smith and Wesson Shield, etc. Good luck and this is a great forum to learn on.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thanks all for the tips. I'm expecting to buy new, but wasn't sure how much to expect. I'll do some more research for sure. I'll have other things to consider like ammo, holster, safe, extra mags, training, etc. It's all going to factor in.

this is all very true. Plan on an extra $200 (or more) within the first month of owning it. Between ammo (say $100 -- which really might not be enough for some), a holster, and an extra mag (at least 3 mags, 5 is better, some folks even do 10 mags per gun).

For a safe, look at the Fort Knox Pistol Box 1 (PB1) or similar. These use a mechanical lock -- no biometrics, no electricity, no B.S. THey run about $150 and are worth every penny. Unless you're talking about a wall safe...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Someone mentioned gun watcher . com I think it's a good way to go.. It piles together a bunch of the firearms you have searched in a list from low to high. If you check out the price range and see what you do and don't have to pay shipping for etc. then it gives you a very good idea as to what you should pay.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I pm'd you... but you can always try GUN GENIE (google it) to get online pricing and a ballpark.
    Having said that, after FFL & Shipping, I'm usually fond of local shops (unless it's something I just can't get).

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Plan on an extra $200 (or more) within the first month of owning it. Between ammo (say $100 -- which really might not be enough for some)...
    I may look into buying some range ammo ahead of time. I'm a total newbie here, so I don't know what to buy. I'm almost certain that I'm going to get a 9mm for my first handgun. If I go to Walmart and buy the biggest and cheapest box of 9mm ammo I can find, does it really matter? Are essentially all 9mm ammo the same (brand, grain, Luger, etc.)?

As for a safe, I know that I've seen some comments on here about some really bad (easy to break into) safes. Personally, I'd rather have a biometric and/or digital keypad on my safe. I'm sure they have drawbacks (battery powered, etc.), but I don't want to fumble around with a key or an analog dial in the dark or the heat of the moment. Are there any of these that you would suggest?

I pm'd you... but you can always try GUN GENIE (google it) to get online pricing and a ballpark.
    Having said that, after FFL & Shipping, I'm usually fond of local shops (unless it's something I just can't get).
    Roger that! Thanks.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I may look into buying some range ammo ahead of time. I'm a total newbie here, so I don't know what to buy. I'm almost certain that I'm going to get a 9mm for my first handgun. If I go to Walmart and buy the biggest and cheapest box of 9mm ammo I can find, does it really matter? Are essentially all 9mm ammo the same (brand, grain, Luger, etc.)?

As for a safe, I know that I've seen some comments on here about some really bad (easy to break into) safes. Personally, I'd rather have a biometric and/or digital keypad on my safe. I'm sure they have drawbacks (battery powered, etc.), but I don't want to fumble around with a key or an analog dial in the dark or the heat of the moment. Are there any of these that you would suggest?

safes are a trade off. Quick to access usually means easy to break into. If you want to protect your handgun from thieves then buy a big safe and bolt it to the floor. Problem is a safe like that is not practical to store a defensive gun. In contrast the small biometric or quick access safes will keep the kids away from your gun but thieves can carry it off. My recommendation would be to store your handgun in the fast access safe whenever the gun is not on your person. Guns that are on your person are secure. If the gun isn't on your person lock it up.

Any Wally World 9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum/9x19 will work. They are the same cartridge. It's a Glock or M&P and will run fine.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    safes are a trade off. Quick to access usually means easy to break into. If you want to protect your handgun from thieves then buy a big safe and bolt it to the floor. Problem is a safe like that is not practical to store a defensive gun. In contrast the small biometric or quick access safes will keep the kids away from your gun but thieves can carry it off. My recommendation would be to store your handgun in the fast access safe whenever the gun is not on your person. Guns that are on your person are secure. If the gun isn't on your person lock it up.

Any Wally World 9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum/9x19 will work. They are the same cartridge. It's a Glock or M&P and will run fine.
    Thanks for the tip on the ammo. As for the safe, what about a wall safe?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for the tip on the ammo. As for the safe, what about a wall safe?

Sure so long as you can get into it quickly.

In the interest of helping new members I will share. I carry a handgun whenever I can and it is legal to do so. Unfortunately kids, schools, career don't always allow me to do what I want. But I try to always carry a gun in my home and definately carry one in the yard or garage. Some will call me paranoid but look at this logically. If the gun is in a properly designed holster on my person then it is safe and inaccessible to unauthorized persons. The gun is accessible to me. I keep a fast access safe on my dresser and that is where my carry gun and handheld light goes when not on my person. I keep a medium to full size carry gun and a subcompact carry gun/BUG in the fast access safe. Depending on my needs dictates the gun carried. These same guns are my go to HD guns. My wife has a dedicated HD handgun in her own safe, it is a higher capacity service sized handgun with a mounted light. We also have a larger fire resistant safe bolted to the floor. All other guns are unloaded and placed in that storage area. Those guns are not immediately accessible.

Firearms are a last resort! But if you need one you need one immediately. In addition to firearms we also have good exterior lighting, some minor reinforcement of the doors, a dog and a monitored security system. Call me paranoid but we also keep a well stocked first aid kit and fire extinguisher in the house.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    My go to site for pricing is Gun Pro Corporation - Online Gun Store - Home

Usually beats or at worst on par with Buds. And its a local Indiana company.

Thanks for the link. Additional reference points are always good. Just looked at there site, looks good, very clean. I also like the Indiana business idea.

Always good to support and do business with your local neighborhood gun store. Never know when they might be able to help you when you really need it.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Also check galleryofguns.com. You can search a lot of different makes, models and features. The site shows msrp. You can then enter your zip code and get price quotes from multiple shops in your area.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    When we price our guns, we compare against Buds and CTD. Sometimes we can beat them even before factoring in shipping/transfer fees. If we can't beat them outright then we at least come close with shipping/transfer. Otherwise we don't order the gun. If it's a gun someone wants us to order, we're honest about what we can price it at and what we can't do. Keep in mind that guns are low margin so that local shop isn't making much on most guns they sell. You don't sell guns to get rich. If you try to negotiate for a better price on a gun, keep that in mind.

sweendogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    I always check slickguns and armslist to get a good idea on prices. If I'm buying used I'll use armslist and search the country to see what the lower prices are. If I'm buying new I'll check slickguns and see what the lowest price is and try and find it local or order it online. If your on the west side I would go to Bob in Plainfield

Top Bottom