private pilot training - recommendation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I started flying with FSX when I was taking lessons (flew MSFS 4.0 back in the day and what ever version their century of flight was). It had the exact aircraft I was flying with same radio stack, so it really took my chair flying to the next level. I have always heard that X-Plane is better, but I couldn't beat the price of FSX. With the new 2020, I had to get that. Based on my flying a actual C172S and their sim version, I cannot figure out what short coming it must have over X-Plane. Sim is great, but you have to remember to not go in there and just goof off flying jets and upside down and buzzing bridges and buildings, it can be done for fun, but don't expect that to speed up training. Also realize that sims don't allow you to feel coordinated flight and doing so requires you to look at the turn coordinator, but in VFR flight the instructor is going to want your eyes outside and sim flyers can fall into the trap of looking at the instruments only instead of where the horizon intersects the wind screen to know if they are at a 30 deg bank instead of 45 deg.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Go to the X-Plane Web site and watch the video trailers, you will find answers to all of your questions. There is also an X-Plane forum where you can talk with other like minded players.

I built a model of my real homebuilt aircraft and even the hanger that I keep it in, I even installed a model Army Jeep to drive around the airport although I seldom use it anymore.
    You can get really lost in the realizium.
    Its even better if you use a VR Setup. It adds depth and 3d and you dont have to toggle your view, just turn your head to look around. Its very realistic. I use X plane 11.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'm aware of this...still better then driving long distance if I wanted to head south or west
    I know what you mean. I flew to the Whittington Center in New Mexico a few decades back and had a picture perfect trip, one of the few. But I will always enjoy it. That was when I had the Beech craft, Musketeer, costly but worth every penny.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I have had one hell of a life in General Aviation !
    I grew up in a family owned FBO leasing buildings and hangars from the city of Huntingburg, IN and eventually from the County (Dubois) when the property development, and expanded tax base, warranted the change over.

I soloed on my 16th birthday with 6 hours of flight instruction in a Piper Cherokee. I passed my Private Pilot check ride with 41 hours accumulated and my Commercial/Multi rides at 112 hours logged. Next was my Instrument/Multi endorsement at approximately 130 hours accumulated.

I built time flying single engine in a Piper Arrow 200 and a Piper Lance transporting Federal Reserve cancelled check loads from Evansville to Indy International in the winter and Clark County in the summer. Every Friday and Saturday night for 3 years, this was my life.

My other hour builder was flying a Cessna 150 doing fire patrol flights 3 times a day, from Huntingburg to north of Evansville to east of Patoka Lake during periods of draught under contract to the IDNR.

My next step was Part 135 VFR charters with freight and/or passengers.

I eventually accrued over 1300 hours with left seat time logged in C-150, C-172, C-210T, Piper 200 Arrow, Piper Turbo Arrow, Piper 300 Lance, Piper Twin Comanche, Piper Seneca, Piper 310 Navajo and Piper 350 Navajo Chieftain. Right seat time was also accrued in a Turbine Piper Cheyenne.

I also experienced 10 humbling hours in a 206 Bell Jet Ranger.

Those were the pinnacle years for a small General Aviation FBO.

9/11 was the first nail in the coffin of General Aviation.

I long for those days when General Aviation aircraft filled the skies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom