Private Range/Neighbors/Police Issues. Options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I didn't call you, thank you for stopping by, please leave the same way you came in. Thank you.
    Doesn't really solve the problems associated with the neighbor(s) calling it in every time he shoots, particularly if local LE assumes they have to respond to every "shots fired" call.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sooner or later, they'll get tired of politely being told to get lost.

If they don't get the hint, the op can have a chat with the sheriff and explain that he's not interested in officers showing up when he's doing nothing illegal.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I agree with whoever posted earlier (I think I read it yesterday) that it may be a good idea for him to call in and let them know he will be shooting. If he shoots every day at a certain time, maybe he could just advise them of this and that if they get calls during that period...it is him and he is simply using his private range in a safe manner. If he has a proper backstop/target set up and they have found nothing wrong with it in previous visits, I don't see why the dispatcher couldn't just advise the caller that they have checked this out on multiple occasions and have not found any negligence.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    If one of the questions you're trying to answer is how to ask the police to leave, it's really as simple as telling them you didn't grant permission, and would like them to leave. It sounds confrontational but they get asked to leave places constantly and i doubt you'll have any issue.

It would be easier to tell them that than to try to explain that their entrance point is downrange.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This whole ordeal sucks. Someone being vindictive is causing the OP to deal with LEO on a regular basis. It slows him down/wastes his time and causes stress.
    That is the whole point of the actions of who/whom ever is doing this. I would venture a guess that some confrontations on the Quad issues can be tracked to this thing or a new anti-2A neighbor.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I agree with whoever posted earlier (I think I read it yesterday) that it may be a good idea for him to call in and let them know he will be shooting. If he shoots every day at a certain time, maybe he could just advise them of this and that if they get calls during that period...it is him and he is simply using his private range in a safe manner. If he has a proper backstop/target set up and they have found nothing wrong with it in previous visits, I don't see why the dispatcher couldn't just advise the caller that they have checked this out on multiple occasions and have not found any negligence.

I think Mom's got it. Rather than asking them to leave, just ask if it is necessary for them to come every time when they know he has the proper range setup and will be shooting at a certain time?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Trail cameras? Cool.

Call the Sheriff/police and give them your cell phone number. When they come out, they can call you and you can call a cease fire.

My question: if you don't want the police on your property, why are they there?
    This.
    id invite lots of ingoers over for full auto shoots 7 days a week for a month! Wear those dumb **** neighbors out!
    id call the sherriff dispatch to give them a heads up before you shoot for a while. I think it's stupid to have to do that and not yours or the sherriffs fault but it keeps them from reaponding to a non emergency and can be used elsewhere. And it keeps them not pissed at you. Now if they respond even after you've notified them you'll be shooting then **** it! Don't call and rock out with your glock 18 out!! And like Kirk said, no trespassing includes LEO's!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The next step is a series of loud speakers playing heavy metal from sun up till 10pm. Get a scanner or listen to them on your smart phone. Sometimes dispatch ****s up and tells over the air who called in.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Don't think I'd call either. I'd probably relay to the deputies that there access point isn't safe for the reasons the OP stated and if they're going to come out everytime, use the other access point.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll float this out there...OP, one of your points of concern is the LEO's appearing "out of no where", while you're shooting. If I understood you correctly, you said they'd pop over the RR bank you're using as a back stop. What do you think about placing a sign out at your gate when you go back there to shoot? Something like "Range is HOT! Do not enter!"? I would envision it would be something you'd hang with a chain, at the gate where they'd come in; and something easily removed so you could store it in your car/range bag/etc when you leave.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll float this out there...OP, one of your points of concern is the LEO's appearing "out of no where", while you're shooting. If I understood you correctly, you said they'd pop over the RR bank you're using as a back stop. What do you think about placing a sign out at your gate when you go back there to shoot? Something like "Range is HOT! Do not enter!"? I would envision it would be something you'd hang with a chain, at the gate where they'd come in; and something easily removed so you could store it in your car/range bag/etc when you leave.
    I've seen these:
    Restricted-Area-Fire-Range-Sign-S-7717.gif

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    OP could invite the police over for a large shootin' time! That way when someone calls to complain, dispatch can say "Why don't you walk over and talk with the Sheriff? S/He is right there on the range."

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've invited our Sheriff to several of our BBQ and Bullets meetings, he appreciates the invite but has never come. Then again we've received no visits after a full day of many people shooting either. We have had the Prosecuting Atty and Cnty Commissioners attend though...

The sign is a good idea.

Top Bottom